Dennis William Merrifield

merrifik
12th November 2008, 14:45
Hello to all.
I am also new to this board and I am the son of a Merchant Seaman Dennis William Merrifield who served on the SS Sardinian Prince during WW2. I was trying to find out what happened to his shipmates who were captured when the Prince was sunk in the North Atlantic Mar 16, 1941 by the german battleship the Scharnhorst. I understand from records that they were sent to POW camps but after that what happened to them? My father is no longer with us (passed in 2001) and was transferred off the ship due to blood poisoned hand infection before it went on the North Atlantic detail where it was eventually to meet its untimely death. Once he was well he eventually transferred to The North Atlantic Ferry Command for the remainder of the war. Any info would be appreciated.
Many thanks Ken Merrifield

K urgess
12th November 2008, 14:56
Welcome aboard, Ken.
I've moved your post into it's own hellow thread for a better response.
I'm sure the crew will be able to help with further info if available.
Explore the ship and enjoy the voyage.

Bruce Carson
12th November 2008, 15:00
Ken, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
Good to have you onboard.
It's almost certain our members will come through with additional information.

Bruce

bert thompson
12th November 2008, 15:28
welcome Ken to this great site. Sure you will soon have someone answer your query
Best wishes
Bert.

R58484956
12th November 2008, 15:39
Greetings Ken and a warm welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

benjidog
12th November 2008, 21:40
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will enjoy the site.

billyboy
13th November 2008, 00:42
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to 0ffer

merrifik
13th November 2008, 01:46
Thanks to all who sent a warm welcome. I live on Lake Huron (Port Elgin Ontario, Canada) and say Hi to all who travel on her, the other Great Lakes and many oceans of the world. I wish you all, fair winds and plenty of water under your keels.

Gulpers
13th November 2008, 20:48
Ken,

......and a warm welcome to the site from me too!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)