Blind Bob

Blind Bob
17th November 2008, 18:53
Hi Guys

Just found the site, Landlubber alas but always had a love of ships and the sea. Eyesight prohibited the waves but let me drive HGVs for many years visiting many docks and ports in my career. Will post pictures mainly Manchester Ship Canal but others as I can, even Ullapool!

Bob

Manchester

K urgess
17th November 2008, 18:55
Welcome aboard, Bob.
Find your way around the ship and join in with the crew.
Enjoy the voyage.

Gulpers
17th November 2008, 19:04
Bob,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

Steve Woodward
17th November 2008, 19:31
Bob,
welcme to SN, look forward to seeing your future postings, enjoy your time with us
Steve

benjidog
17th November 2008, 21:39
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will enjoy the site.

bert thompson
17th November 2008, 21:53
Welcome Bob but I thought you posted earlier. Enjoy all on this great site
Best wishes
Bert.

billyboy
18th November 2008, 00:58
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

benjidog
18th November 2008, 21:25
I am reliably informed by my wise friend Gulpers that colour blindness prevented people from sailing "on deck".

Can someone explain why that should be? I can imagine in the days of reading signalling flags it would have been important, but why was this a big deal? And is this still the case in the age of computerised navigation?

baffled
18th November 2008, 21:39
I have a 'mild' male pattern red/green colour blindness.
Distant nav. lights; 'green' I see as white, red difficult to discern as red, till proximity increases intensity.

Disbarred from being Nav. side and [also Post Office Engineer (colour codes on wires)] when eye tested @ age 16.

Best,

S..

benjidog
18th November 2008, 21:45
Thanks to Bill Davies for pointing out the obvious to me in a PM:

The problem is of course distinguishing between port and starboard lights on other ships and navigation aids!

Obviously my brain slipped out of its slot for a while (maybe permanently!).

DOHHHH!

gdynia
19th November 2008, 03:12
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Peggy747
19th November 2008, 05:37
Welcome aboard BOB, sorry that your colour blindness prevented your going to sea, but among a great crew here you will be able to catch up on what you may have missed,
Peter (Peggy747)