Hello everyone !

Rita H
21st November 2008, 00:31
Since becoming a member only a few days ago, i have been meaning to say Hi !! (==D) The small delay has been due to my extended exploratory tour on board ..... fantastic, amazing site and i am hooked !! (Thumb)
Does anyone know what has happened to HMS Bulldog and HMS Beagle ? Two Royal Navy survey ships which did survey work around the Seychelles group of islands in 1972 -1973. The local girls had a soft spot for those two little ships - we would all look forward to Friday evening as the two ships returned to Port Victoria from a whole week at sea... we would be taken out by the boys and party all wk end.
I was age 16 then and i happened to know the marine engineer on Bulldog who and a few of his ship mates invited a group of us girls on board for a special trip round the main island Mahe. What an experience that was, especially visiting the engine room [=P] The sea was a little bumpy and some of the girls suffered from mal de mer. I have very fond memories of Bulldog and she has a special place in my heart :)

gdynia
21st November 2008, 07:22
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

bert thompson
21st November 2008, 08:30
Welcome Rita. Enjoy all that this site offers
Best wishes
Bert.

dennyson
21st November 2008, 11:30
Hi Rita,
Bulldog and Beagle were decommissioned in 2001/2002. I think Bulldog was converted into a private yacht.
Welcome to SN, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
I have very happy memories of the Seychelles - spent our 40th anniversary there in 2003.
Best Wishes,
Dave

John Briggs
21st November 2008, 11:57
Welcome Rita,
I remember the Seychelles well from my time on the Kampala. A bit before your time though, early 1960's.

R58484956
21st November 2008, 13:16
Greetings Rita and welcome to SN. Many happy memories of the Seychelles.
Bon voyage.

Bruce Carson
21st November 2008, 13:48
Rita, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
Good to have you onboard.
We're glad you find our site enjoyable--join in our friendly discussions at any time.

Bruce

Gulpers
21st November 2008, 14:10
Rita,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

Peter4447
21st November 2008, 14:13
Welcome aboard Rita
Peter4447

Rita H
21st November 2008, 18:04
A big THANK YOU to gdynia, bert thompson,dennyson,John Briggs, R5848956,Bruce Carson,Gulpers and Peter 4447 (and other crew members who have said hello to me ) for welcoming me with open arms aboard and off course into your world. I feel very previledge to be accepted as part of your community... i look forward to have many happy, enjoyable hrs with you all and hope you will also enjoy my company ?

Rita H
21st November 2008, 18:36
Hi Rita,
Bulldog and Beagle were decommissioned in 2001/2002. I think Bulldog was converted into a private yacht.
Welcome to SN, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
I have very happy memories of the Seychelles - spent our 40th anniversary there in 2003.
Best Wishes,
Dave

Hi dennyson,
Last year i read from a site that HMS Bulldog was in Auckland having been a victim of two fires ...... she was i believe, going to be converted into a Restaurant and had been bought by the Chinese and was about to be towed to China ......
I have been trying to search for her, wondering as to whether she did make the journey ? It saddens me to see such a hard working little ship like her loose all dignity and end up in such a state .. i would like to think she had the best time of her life in Seychelles ( she was out there with HMS Beagle working for 18 months and they were a familiar site on the water ) and greatly loved and respected by all who knew and served on her. I know she has a very special place in my heart and i will always love her .... Please, can anyone try to find her ?

Steve Woodward
21st November 2008, 18:57
Tta,
First of all welcome to SN from Suffolk, glad you have enjoyed your time here, I popped in for look a while back, never left!
Both the ships you seek, Beagle and Bulldog, became privatre yachts, Bulldog you seem to know about, beagle was a little more successful as the Motor yacht Titan CLICK HERE (http://www.motoryachttitan.com/)
Rgds
Steve

PS having looked at the accomodation on board this smart little vessel I think it may have been modified a little from her RN days

Rita H
21st November 2008, 19:04
Welcome Rita,
I remember the Seychelles well from my time on the Kampala. A bit before your time though, early 1960's.

Wow ! That's great news about you knowing the Seychelles ....... apart from a bigger harbour and new passenger terminel, bigger ships still have to anchor way out by St Anne ...
The little jetty is still there with local schooners berthed along side and Victoria is the same. Anything you want to know, i would be delighted to be of some assistance.
As for Kampala, i travelled on her from Mombasa to Seychelles around 1959aged three and something. I then returned with my mother to East Africa on Karanja 1962, getting off in Beira to catch a steam train to Botswana .... 1966, boarded Karanja for the Seychelles stopping in at Zanzibar, then Mombasa for several days whilst her hull was being given a new lick of white paint ......
Warm wishes

Rita

Rita H
21st November 2008, 19:17
Welcome Rita,

Wow ! That's great news about you knowing the Seychelles ....... apart from a bigger harbour and new passenger terminel, bigger ships still have to anchor way out by St Anne ...
The little jetty is still there with local schooners berthed along side and Victoria is the same. Anything you want to know, i would be delighted to be of some assistance.
As for Kampala, i travelled on her from Mombasa to Seychelles around 1959aged three and something. I then returned with my mother to East Africa on Karanja 1962, getting off in Beira to catch a steam train to Botswana .... 1966, boarded Karanja for the Seychelles stopping in at Zanzibar, then Mombasa for several days whilst her hull was being given a new lick of white paint ......
Warm wishes

Rita

Rita H
21st November 2008, 19:34
WOW !! Thanks Steve :) You sure have brought a big smile on my face ... so relieved that one little ship is living a life of Reilly !!
Still concerned for my beloved Bulldog :(
I know what you mean about being hooked on SN lol .... i am suppose to be going out to meet up with friends in one hrs time and i can't seem to shift myself off this site... i have been on it for the past four hrs, God help me !
Warm Wishes,
Rita

benjidog
21st November 2008, 19:54
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will enjoy the site.

Rita H
22nd November 2008, 00:52
Thank you Brian, i am loving every minute of it ... pleasure to meet you

Rita

billyboy
22nd November 2008, 03:21