Mackem says hello.

mackem
22nd November 2008, 12:40
My first post, so please go easy on me.

Bank Line archives. I'm trying to locate a webpage link or some sort of access to the Bank Line house magazines from the late seventies to the early eighties.

I'm not sure if anyone may still have these magazines but they were a wonderful way to see where the vessels were trading and even better, to see who was serving on them.

In particular, if anyone can highlight the names of officers onboard the Hazelbank (1978), Birchbank (1979), Tenchbank (1980) and Pikebank (1981).

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

benjidog
22nd November 2008, 12:50
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will enjoy the site.

Jeffers
22nd November 2008, 13:05
Welcome aboard! Nice to see some info in your profile too!

Using "Mackem" in your name, you're not from Sunderland by any chance? I'm Shields born, now in Halifax.

It's a great place, I'm sure someone will help you along in your research.

K urgess
22nd November 2008, 14:05
Welcome aboard Mackem.
A bit later than my Bankline time but I'm sure there are crewmembers who will be able to help.
I have crew lists from 71/72 that another member sent me but nothing later.
Find your way around this ship and enjoy the trip.

Bruce Carson
22nd November 2008, 14:30
Mackem, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
Good to have you onboard.
Chances are our members will be able to point you in the right direction.

Bruce

R58484956
22nd November 2008, 14:47
Greetings Mackem and a warm welcome to SN, plenty of ex engineers on board from juniors to examiners, so feel at home (on board) also quite a few ex Bankers, so enjoy the site and bon voyage.

mackem
22nd November 2008, 15:23
Welcome aboard! Nice to see some info in your profile too!

Using "Mackem" in your name, you're not from Sunderland by any chance? I'm Shields born, now in Halifax.

It's a great place, I'm sure someone will help you along in your research.
Hi Jeffers,

Thanks for a fast warm welcome to SN.

I use the nickname mackem more towards my beloved football team than anything else.

Good to hear you're originally from South Shields as I am too and still have family there. I've not lived there for 20 years or so, as home for me these days is Singapore (please see my profile). I still go back as often as possible and have in fact been back 4 times in the last 12 months.

South Shields is where I spent the first 30 years or so of my life and obviously I've got loads of memories of the place. It still remains a firm favourite for me and I'm very fond of the all the old stomping ground.

I hope you get the chance to go back and enjoy seeing some of the old you grew up in.

Best regards,

Jim (red + white mackem)

bathgate
22nd November 2008, 15:58
Hi Mackem
I see you are a resident of one of my favourite cities, Singapore. Spent a lot of time there with Ben Line and Sal boats, finally doing three years working out of a head office there for rigs in Malaysia.
Just returned from Singers recently after another holiday, something keeps pulling me back. Although I reside permanently in Perth West Australia.
Welcome to the International Club.
Bathgate

bert thompson
22nd November 2008, 18:04
Welcome to this wonderful site
Have lived in South Shields for over fifty years. Best port in the world
Best wishes
Bert.

Pat McCardle
22nd November 2008, 18:34
Welcome aboard Jim, a 'Sand Dancer' calling hisel a Mackem, well done mate!!

billyboy
22nd November 2008, 23:16
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

gdynia
23rd November 2008, 07:29
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Alistair Macnab
23rd November 2008, 08:02
Just to show you the extent of SN members with Bank Line connections, welcome from an old Bank Line bum from Houston Texas! I have most of the Bank Line house magazines here but as far as I know, there was never any link to them on the Internet. Singapore is also one of my favourite places. It has certainly grown up from the days of Change Alley downtown and Bugis Street where we got caught one night in a brawl started by some British soldiers. We sailors were just innocent bystanders!

Look around the site. Lots of Bank Line memories to keep your interest!

Alistair Macnab,
Houston TX.

mackem
24th November 2008, 03:56
Hi Bathgate,

And I have similar thoughts/experiences of Perth. We were down there a couple of Christmases ago and had a wonderful time. Spent a few days 'chilling out' at Scarborough Beach, then down to Freo for a final few days at Langley Park, near the bell tower. A lovely place which gave us very happy memories.

mackem
24th November 2008, 04:07
Thanks for the warm welcome Bert, it's much appreciated.

South Shields, my home town, where I spent most of my mis-spent youth. It's still a place I like to get back to as much as possible and still a place that gives me great memories.

Every time I go back, I've just got to go down to River Drive, see what's happening and look down on Brigham & Cowan's which of course, is no longer there. However, the dry dock is where I spent a few years learning my trade and working with some great characters.

The place has certainly changed a lot, but for those 'in the know' it's still possible to think back and remember how it used to be.

I bet you've seen many changes too.

I see from the BBC website that the weather has turned rather cold just recently. I wonder if you're going to get a white Christmas ?

All the best,

Jim.

mackem
24th November 2008, 04:15
Welcome aboard Jim, a 'Sand Dancer' calling hisel a Mackem, well done mate!!
Hi Pat,

Yes it's true, I'm really a sand dancer, but for what it's worth (not much after yesterday's woeful performance), I'm foolishly mad about Sunderland football club. Mad being the key word as my devotion sometimes defies all logic and good reason. Ah well, that's life !!!

Hope all is well and running smoothly for you.

Best regards,

Jim.

mackem
24th November 2008, 08:27
Just to show you the extent of SN members with Bank Line connections, welcome from an old Bank Line bum from Houston Texas! I have most of the Bank Line house magazines here but as far as I know, there was never any link to them on the Internet. Singapore is also one of my favourite places. It has certainly grown up from the days of Change Alley downtown and Bugis Street where we got caught one night in a brawl started by some British soldiers. We sailors were just innocent bystanders!

Look around the site. Lots of Bank Line memories to keep your interest!

Alistair Macnab,
Houston TX.
Hi Alistair,

Innocent bystanders indeed !

I believe you, but thousands wouldn't !!!

Singapore has certainly changed a lot over recent years and both Change Alley and Bugis are unrecognisable from how it used to be. In fact, the whole port/city/country has completely changed.

You're quite right about the Bank Line connections. I've already spent many hours trawling through various threads and links to so many stories and photos which have given me great pleasure. I'm so glad to find so many kind hearted souls who've taken the time and trouble to share these momento's.

Despite enduring some very dark days when everything that could wrong, inevitably did, there are plenty of good times to remember. And that's what this website does so well. Big thanks to all concerned.

Have you got the Bank Line house magazines from 1978 - 1982 ?

Which vessels did you serve on ?

Best regards,

Jim.

Pat McCardle
24th November 2008, 09:22
Hi Pat,

Yes it's true, I'm really a sand dancer, but for what it's worth (not much after yesterday's woeful performance), I'm foolishly mad about Sunderland football club. Mad being the key word as my devotion sometimes defies all logic and good reason. Ah well, that's life !!!

Hope all is well and running smoothly for you.

Best regards,

Jim.

Woeful indeed Jim. I'm, probably, as mad about them too(Jester)

China hand
24th November 2008, 10:03
Hi Mackem,
Another ex Bank liner here. Got quite a few of the house mags, I'll dig them out and do a search for you. I was '60 to '66 and '74 to '83, Apprentice to Master.

mackem
28th November 2008, 11:52
Hi Mackem,
Another ex Bank liner here. Got quite a few of the house mags, I'll dig them out and do a search for you. I was '60 to '66 and '74 to '83, Apprentice to Master.
Hello China hand,

Is that the Dutch flag you got there ?
Are you in Amsterdam by any chance ?
And where does your 'china hand' nickname come ?

No need to explain if it's too sensitive !!!

Any luck with the search through the Bank Line house mags ?

I'm hoping for Hazelbank (1978), Birchbank (1979), Tenchbank (1980) and Pikebank (1981). Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.