Hello from a newbie

meggles
26th November 2008, 19:31
Hello everybody. I am a new member (of course). I'm from York. I am hoping to get some information about my father, and his wartime experiences on the Kandahar and the Unicorn. I believe there were two Kandaha's one Royal, and one Merchant navy. I may be corrected. Dad was in the Merchant Navy. Forgive me for any mistakes, I am not brilliant on computers. I will try to contribute to this forum as well as taking info from it (hopefully).

fred henderson
26th November 2008, 19:53
A warm welcome to the site. I feel sure that some of our members will be able to help your search.

Fred(Thumb)

K urgess
26th November 2008, 19:53
Welcome aboard, meggles.
I'm sure the crew will be able to help.
Here's the Miramar entry for Kanadahar
http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/168178
The only thing for Unicorn is an aircraft carrier
http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/133878
or the Empire Unicorn
http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/138383
Hope some of that helps.
Enjoy the voyage.

non descript
26th November 2008, 20:08
Meggles, A warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and making your first posting. Do enjoy the site and all it has to offer and we very much look forward to your further postings. (Thumb)

Bruce Carson
26th November 2008, 20:08
Meggles, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
Good to have you onboard.
I wonder if your father was not on the Royal Navy ship as the Bucknall 'Kandahar', I believe, was renamed the 'City of Perth' in 1926 to conform with the Ellerman "City" nomenclature.
A photo of HMS Kandahar may be found here:
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20K/slides/Kandahar%20G28-01.html
Bruce

Derek Roger
26th November 2008, 20:11
A Warm Welcome from Canada . Regards Derek

bert thompson
26th November 2008, 20:48
Warm welcome to this wonderful site
Best wishes
Bert.

benjidog
26th November 2008, 23:11
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will enjoy the site.

billyboy
26th November 2008, 23:37
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has top offer

McCloggie
27th November 2008, 03:28
There was actually another Unicorn under the RN umbrella.

Tay Division of the Royal Naval Reserve was based onboard HMS Unicorn - an 1824 frigate - at Dundee. I can not remember exactly what the war time role was, but for a while she became HMS Unicorn II before the obvious confusion led to her being renamed (HMS Cresey I thnik) for the rest of the war.

I do know that in London HMS President (home to London RNR) had a role in the training of DEMS personnel and I have a suspicion that Unicorn may have had a similar role in Dundee.

McC

Gulpers
27th November 2008, 05:41
meggles,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

GWB
27th November 2008, 07:29
Welcome aboard from Brisbane Australia enjoy the site.

GWB

gdynia
27th November 2008, 08:42
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

R58484956
27th November 2008, 08:55
Greetings Meggles and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

meggles
21st December 2008, 22:40
Hi all, and thanks for the welcome. Well, I told my family that I was starting to research my fathers merchant navy history and they then told me he was in the Royal Navy!!! Not that the merchant navy was in any way less important than the royal navy. Anyway, without wishing to sound bitter, I am disappointed that I appear to have been shut out of my families history! There is lot's I don't know so I am now more determined to get a full picture of my dad's life. Any help from you kind folk will be doubly welcome now, especially for my childrens and grandchildrens sakes.
I have downloaded a form for the Royal Navy (Request for service details). I will send it off SAP.
I now know that dad was on the HMS Kandahar and the ship went to the aid of another somewhere near Malta in, I believe, 1941. His ship was damaged by a mine and was sunk because it was unsalvageable. (Was this when dad lay on his back and decided he was going to die? Luckily he survived).
Anyway, can anyone tell me how to get a crew list from the Kandahar on this last sailing? Is there a survivor anywhere that I may be able to contact?
All help with the above will be acknowledged.
By the way, I think my dad later served on the HMS Unicorn, but I am not sure. He may have served on other ships. I was only 13 years old when he died and was not allowed to go to his funeral. He died 44 years ago yesterday and when I visited his grave I promised him that I would find out as much as I could about him. Please help me to do that.
Thank you, all you good folk.
Regards
Keith

meggles
21st December 2008, 22:42
Got that Kandahar picture earlier. Many thanks though for taking the trouble to reply. Nice to know people care.

Burntisland
22nd December 2008, 01:46
Welcome Meggles..............

You'll find plenty of folks on this site eager and willing to help. We all know about matters of the heart regardless of how crusty and hard shelled some of us can seem to be.
Glad to have you aboard............Always room for one more.