Nevasa

Paul Stephenson
1st December 2008, 20:34
Hello from new member Paul Stephenson.
I sailed to Singapore aboard Nevasa as a child on her maiden voyage to the far east in Oct/Nov 1956 via Dakar and Durban (her intended maiden voyage having been terminated at Cyprus due to the Suez crisis). She was, of course, at that time serving as a troopship and among the many happy memories I have of that voyage, and the return three years later on Oxfordshire, was the school in the troops mess for'ard. We had a school song to the tune of the Eton boating song which went 'Nevasa on the briny, our school on oceans wide, we seek to learn our lessons, no effort must we hide..............
If anyone can fill me in on the rest I'd be obliged!

I'd also be happy to correspond with anyone who was on that voyage or on Oxfordshire in Sept. 1959 on the voyage home.

Regards, Paul Stephenson.

Bruce Carson
1st December 2008, 20:46
Paul, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, it's good to have you onboard.
The Eton Boating Song does get around. I've had my eye out for a copy of Kipling's 'The Screw Guns' set to that tune.

Bruce

non descript
1st December 2008, 21:06
Paul, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and making your first posting, you will find a lot of kindred spirits on here and I am sure some quality news on NEVASA (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=132956). Do enjoy the site and all it has to offer and we very much look forward to your further postings. (Thumb)

K urgess
1st December 2008, 21:12
Welcome aboard, Paul.
I think someone in the crew may be able to help.
Meanwhile find your way around the ship and enjoy the voyage.

benjidog
1st December 2008, 21:49
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will ejoy the site.

gdynia
1st December 2008, 23:31
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

R58484956
2nd December 2008, 09:56
Greetings Paul and welcome to SN on your first interesting posting. Bon voyage.