Hello

JEREMY KEENAN
5th December 2008, 17:40
New member doin the first post. Sailed wi Shaw Savill as a Deck Cadet between 77 & 81. Served on Manchester Concorde, Deseado, Orduna, Zealandic, Laurentic, maiden voyage on Dunedin, and Clerk Maxwell. Still many happy memories, enjoyed searchin the site for the old photos. Wud like to hear from anyone around at that time.

K urgess
5th December 2008, 18:21
Welcome to the crew, Jeremy.
Plenty aboard the ship with those ships in their pasts.
Find your way around and enjoy the trip.

non descript
5th December 2008, 18:24
Jeremy, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and posting your ships - that last one is a princess... (Thumb) - Enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course.

benjidog
5th December 2008, 20:45
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will enjoy the site.

Gulpers
5th December 2008, 21:03
Jeremy,

A warm welcome to SN from the Isle of Anglesey.
There is every chance that you will meet old shipmates on this site so, have a good look round and join in the banter as much as possible.
Beware, it is addictive! (Thumb)

Bruce Carson
5th December 2008, 21:06
Jeremy, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
Good to have you onboard.
Make yourself at home and join in our friendly discussions at any time.

bruce

Mick quinn
5th December 2008, 21:09
Hi Jeremy
Welcome to the site and I hope you visit all of the Company sites of the ships you sailed on.
I sailed on the Zealandic 4/71 to 6/71 to Australia for apples and the Clerk Maxwell 3/74 to 6/74. Were you on either ship during those dates?
Regards
Mick Quinn

Pat bourke
5th December 2008, 21:46
New member doin the first post. Sailed wi Shaw Savill as a Deck Cadet between 77 & 81. Served on Manchester Concorde, Deseado, Orduna, Zealandic, Laurentic, maiden voyage on Dunedin, and Clerk Maxwell. Still many happy memories, enjoyed searchin the site for the old photos. Wud like to hear from anyone around at that time.

Greetings Jeremy, Welcome to SN. I sailed on Zealandic from 12/78 to 05/79 and the Laurentic from 09/79 to 01/80 as R/O. Enjoyed both ships and the trips to the US also. Regards Pat.(Thumb) (Pint)

gdynia
6th December 2008, 00:44
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

R58484956
6th December 2008, 15:16
Greetings Jeremy and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

bert thompson
6th December 2008, 16:36
Welcome Jeremy to this wonderful site
Best wishes
Bert.

billyboy
6th December 2008, 23:38
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

JEREMY KEENAN
8th December 2008, 13:13
Thanx 4 the welcome. Not 2 sure bout the "Princess" comment, more of a "b***h" I thought! U will note it was my last ship! U taste the "Black Max" experience as well?

JEREMY KEENAN
8th December 2008, 13:26
Goin by those dates we just missed each other. I did Zealandic from 9/79 to 1/80 and Laurentic from 2-5/80. Left the Zealandic laid up beside Laurentic in Rotterdam, back to the same place a month later to join Laurentic laid up beside Zealandic! Ended up flyin home from Durban when she was sold. Two great ships, good crews, good craic!

JEREMY KEENAN
8th December 2008, 13:28
No, I was a few years after that. Zealandic was good, Great Lakes and Southern US. Maxwell was a pig!

jeraylin
10th December 2008, 14:22
Hello Mr Keenan!

We sailed together on the DUNEDIN maiden voyage. Other cadets I remember were Alan Craig (Eyemouth) and Jane Reilly. Old man was Dick (Special Agent) Barton. The chief was a Kiwi and he retired after that. Do you remember the naming ceremony in Port Taranaki? Or the twin girls that used to come on board with T-Shirts that said "Cadets Only"? Alan had some of that. The Mate was Alasdair Ross. The trips round the Carribbean were GR8
esp when the crane broke down in Bridgetown and we had two days on the beach waiting for spares.
Good to hear - keep in touch(==D) (==D)

JEREMY KEENAN
10th December 2008, 15:09
Great to hear from you Mr Ayling! If I remember correct u were in the cabin next door 2 me, I got the noisy one at the end 4 bangin boxes off! The engineer cadet was Seamus O'Reilly, or Weamus O'Weiwwy.(Jester) Can still hear Alasdair askin if "Mr Craig had done his sudgy!" Always remember the naming ceremony, mainly when the ships whistle couldnt b turned off and ended up soundin like a sick cow! Hard to believe its nearly 30 years ago now. I c Dunedin was still goin up until very recently, tryin 2 locate photos of her as MSC Jessica, no success so far tho. C from ur profile your still at it, great 2 hear from you, keep in touch. (==D) (==D)

Kalamaki Bob
30th December 2008, 11:40
Greetings to you Mr Keenan,
Robin Price here.
Happy days indeed. Did I last see you on the Laurentic in Durban? I stayed on for the handover you may remember and wasn't to happy about it. It all turned out ok and we got put up in Durban's top hotel for a good few days.
I moved on to CY Tungs lot after that, Pacific Challenge, Courage, Prominence and Prestige before jacking it all in in early '86. I sailed with Alan Craig on the Orcoma for her last voyage as well. Come to think of it I did quite a few 'final runs'.
Hope you are keeping well. You weren't a bad sprog!(Thumb)

Piccies from our time on the Deseado[=P]

JEREMY KEENAN
5th January 2009, 13:30
Hi Rob, good to hear from you. The Deseado pics brought back even more memories. Id had my crossing the line the previous trip, so was ready to get my own back on some other poor sod! Can you put names 2 the faces? Who are the handsome twosome on the beach? Readin your other posts as well, remember u talkin of Grim Jim, he seemed to like u in the same way Mouldey (Old Dough) on the Laurentic liked me! Only when I did the anchor & passage into Bahia Blanca did he come round. I remember meeting the Zealandic on that trip, prob the last time they met. Didnt u also speak of your visit to Basra? Or was that someone else, ****** Basra comes to mind!

Kalamaki Bob
6th January 2009, 21:29
Jerry,
Great days-crackin' beach as well. My memory ain't what it used to be and is rather selective but on the photo is the one and only womble and at the end is his boss 1st Lecky Jack ,,,?. His kids got done the trip before. Inbetween me and Womble is another deck cadet whose name escapes me. Neptune was an AB selected 'cos he looked the part! I used to get on quite well with old DT Mouldey (DT by name, DT by nature) and he taught me to keep two bottles of gin. one filled with gin the other with water so you could pace yourself - a passy boat trick apparently. I'll have a trawl through my old photos see if I have anything of interest.
Basra was fun when we finally got in. We'd stored for a six week run but we got to the anchorage when we were running short of stuff and we were anchored for a couple of weeks. We had daily runs in the ships boat to get food and other essentials. Alongside was ok - very much pre Saddam days. quite basic but no threat at all. How things change!
Grim Jim was a star. Just too much drink I'm afraid.
Do you still live in NI? I'm a Civil Servant now and have done a bit of work with the Social Security Agency in Belfast. Loved it that much I took my wife there for a weekend in November. Next time we'll travel about a bit more.
When was the last time we sailed together? Was it the Laurentic? Like I say the memory ain't what it was.

doric
7th January 2009, 10:04
Welcome aboard from an old Shaw Savill man, I served with them 1950/55, as an Elect. Engineer.

On Dominion Monarch, Wairangi, Taranaki, Gothic ( including Royal Commonwealth Tour 1953/54 ), Suevic. then joined British Phosphate Commission 1955/59.

Regards, Terence Williams. R538301.(A)

JEREMY KEENAN
7th January 2009, 15:48
Rob, like yourself the memory isnt what it used 2 b, so forgive any clinkers! Think the other cadets on that trip were Roy Crozier, Kevin Wooff and (real name escapes me) Idi ...? Was that the trip that the mate (possibly Bob Kelsall) had his wife and daughter on? Maybe the previous one I did, not sure. 2/0 was Chris ....., and 3/O Ian Cull. Seem 2 remember 2 Maltese engineer cadets as well? We also brought 2 passengers back from Montevideo to Rotterdam? C if that jogs anything wi u. Dont think we met after Laurentic, I did the maiden voyage on Dunedin (cracker!) and then crossed the North Sea umpteen times on the Black Max (stinker). Funnily enough, left after that! Still livin in NI, now in the wonderful Co Tyrone. After 20+ years as a sales rep, moved the other side of the desk and now doin the purchasin 4 1 of my old customers. U shud come over again, great place these days.

Kalamaki Bob
8th January 2009, 20:29
I remember the names now - especially Kev Wooff. I think Bob Kelsall's daughter was crossing the line on this photo. She was a sweet kid. 2nd Mate was Chris Wright from the Isle of Wight and he had his wife Tricia(?) with him. Ian Cull doesn't exist in my memory at all. 'Tubby' Rutter was the old man. Not sure if that was the trip that Womble bit the old mans bum in the bar - as he used to do. I don't think the paasy's were impressed. That was when the Chief described him as a damn good lecky but a social animal. He wore clogs 'til somebody float tested them!
You may have joined the Black Max just after me. I didn't like that ship at all. Did a few short butane runs and then a dry dock in Bremen where I had the task of drilling a 1" hole every 12" in the bottom of the loading drops - apparently to give a better blanket flow whilst loading. What a soddin' workup that was! Payed of shortly after in Holland and joined the Rounton Grange. Very strange ship but the 3rd mates cabin was brilliant - just behind the bridge and you could have a sauna in the toilet - it was in the funnel!
Went to Liverpool for my ticket after that and got a redundancy notice just before the orals (Thanks Furness Withy!). Moved across CY Tung and Golden Peak for 4 trips on the Pacific Boats before jacking it all in and coming ashore. Never regretted the decision but if I had the chance to do it all over again I would - avoiding the Black Max though.
After that I worked as a Superintendent on the docks at Ellesmere Port. Worked for Cawoods and sent a few tonnes of coal over to your part of the world as well as loading quite a few Medi boats for Ellermans, Zim, MacAndrews etc.
Now I sit at a desk and drive a PC. Still got a nautical connection 'cos I look out over what used to be Manchester Docks and work in an office called The Anchorage! We are within sight of Old Trafford as well - if anyone cares!

JEREMY KEENAN
16th January 2009, 10:20
Yeah, Bob's daughter (Lesley if I remember correctly) wud ave been "done" that trip. Funny the things u remember - wee-oo, wee-oo cob on (Jester) That trip we were in Argentina while the World Cup was on. Some of us got in 2 c Italy beat Argentina in the early stages, but of course Argentina went on 2 win it. Remember also bein in Santos when Argentina beat Brazil, either the quarters or the semis. Great atmosphere in BA that time, the fans went mad, win or lose. We must ave done the Max around the same time, I joined in Alicante in Feb 81, paid off in Bremen at the end of March. Like u, I did not like that ship at all, had been goin on either the Oroya or Oropesa, cant remember which, but got diverted at the last minute. Even another PSNC trip down the west coast wud ave been better! I know u did Laurentic, but if u want 2 c how a ship shud not look, try shipspotting.com for Zealandic or Khalij Crystal - not good!(MAD) Its funny that ur office now overlooks where I joined my first ship, the Manchester Concorde. You do have my sympathy tho 4 havin 2 look at Old Trafford, if that was my office window I'd have 2 close the blinds (Jester)

Kalamaki Bob
18th January 2009, 21:25
I remember BA quite well and I boughta World Cup tie in Harrods for my old man, and we had a few cocktails in that old club type place as well as a few good steaks!
I joined the Black Max 17/02/81 in Alicante so, yet again we sailed together. I missed the flight from Heathrow (Saturday) and joined the ship by launch on Monday but I think you had been in a hotel waiting fro her. I did't like that ship and like you I should have gone to a PSNC boat (Oropesa I think) but ened up on the Max. I upset the Mate on the Oropesa when I was working by. I said all the ring bolts on the deck were badly placed 'cos they kept tripping you up and so I didn't get the trip. I didn't know he'd stood by the building and the ring bolts were 'his'.
I don't remember much about the Max except the drink! Going round the optics with a bucket for a Black Max cocktail.(Pint) You'll have paid off when we got to dry dock. That was bl**dy hard work and I can recall lying on the floor in the bar knackered listening to Dire Straits!:sweat: We then went round to Moerdijk in Holland and I managed to get off. I was wondering how you knew about Grim Jim because that was after we'd done the Laurentic.
I have a few photos that I'll post. Don't seem to have many from the Max. Hardly surprising looking at all those exotic ports we visited. The Zealandic looks good in those other photos!
And stop that wee-oo wee-oo stuff!(Jester)

Robin

JEREMY KEENAN
22nd January 2009, 15:24
Funny how the memory plays tricks, I cud remember the names of the Deseado cadets, but even now uve told me I have no recollection of u on the Max. Must b a case of only rememberin the good days! Or maybe wi doin sixes most of the time u were on when I was off, I was on when u were off, and we never actually met!:sweat: As u say Id had a free weekend in Alicante wi the Engineer Cadet, real name gone, u mite remember him as Zebo! Think we then came back to Teesport and started those wonderful (?) North Sea runs to somewhere in Sweden, and somewhere in Norway? It was like the song "Sloop John B" - it was "the worst trip I'd ever been on." Thinkin back, the best to worst list wud be as follows - Dunedin, Zealandic, Laurentic, Deseado, Manchester Concorde, Orduna and then a long long way back, the Max. Out of the 7, she wud come about 21st(Jester) As u say, if I had the chance Id do it all again, wi the possible exception of 6 & 7(21). It was a great experience and still means so much to me. Even my screensaver here is a montage of photos of "my ships" bang up 2 date wi the Dunedin now as MSC Jessica in Singapore last November. I know, SAD! C what u can find in ur piccies, wud like a look.
Wee-oo[=P]

Kalamaki Bob
31st January 2009, 21:38
We did Flotta (Scapa) to Stenungsund and Rafnes (I think). I feel the same as you about the Max, I can't rememeber anyone really. All I can remember is that I couldn't wait to get off. (Cloud)
I'd have a problem rating my trips. The Deseado rates pretty highly but then again I did four spells on her - 2 as cadet and 2 as X/3/O and that was just sports and social organising the deck golf and chess tournamnets as well as montoring the punch for the BA barbecue! Were you on her when we had that big bash in BA when we all got dressed up with cummerbunds and all that.(Thumb) I think the ambassador was invited and there were a few nurses. And I met up with Carmen from the 'flying tab nab' in BA as well. Then there was Santos! Used to do the nights so I could go to the beach during the day but did have the occasional walk up the strip and play the butterfly with the girls.[=P]
The runs on the Laurentic were good. Do you remember the Lecky falling over ashore in Brest? We called him the 'battle scarred electrica'(Jester). How about the discharge of the eggs in Hodeidah - that was frightening!
My trip on the Medic was a good one as well. Down to Fiji to discharge and then to Kiwi to clean up and backload for the UK.
I've been adding photos a few at a time when I can. I put 7 on one time and broke 'the rules' and we can't live without rules! (I did put a 'mad' smiley here but you're only allowed 4 (Madx2+).

So keep an eye on my gallery and enjoy!

Robin

JEREMY KEENAN
18th March 2009, 17:42
Photo gallery looks good. the Oslo misty pic especially, as I was prob a bit misty there 2![=P] Bein Oslo in April it didnt get dark til after midnight. This caused major problems with lowerin the flags at sunset, by the time u got up the road the pubs were closin! So, usin my initiative, I decided that they shud come down earlier to allow for some drinkin time. This was a good plan (as Baldrick once said - "as cunning as a bag of foxes") until it became clear that my old mate Mouldey was still on board and not up the road as I thought. He managed to catch me in mid lowering of the house flag at about half 8, prob about 4 hours before sunset. Funnily enuf, I stayed on board that nite!:sweat: Hodeidah only exists in the memory coz it was so ****** hot! U had to stay once we got 2 Durban, we flew up 2 Jo-burg for a night in a fancy hotel, then flew to Madrid, via a refuellin stop in Zaire (1 runway totally surrounded by jungle) for another nite in a fancy hotel there. Eventually got home 2 find that I couldnt get in as theyd all gone on holidays - were they tryin 2 tell me somethin?(Jester)
Better not put much more in here, otherwise ....... rules!
Keep at it wi the piccies

Jeremy