Hello Folks

Carl Wadkin
16th December 2008, 09:40
What a great site.
I come from a family of seafarers, well at least in times of war, and it seemed natural to go myself, preferably not at war!
I spent my summer holidays in 1969 aged 15, on Metcalfe's MV Eileen M as a supernumerary, carrying **** from Middlesbrough to Shoreham (very romantic).
At 16 I joined the Bank Line as a cadet, though we still referred to ourselves as apprentices, and stayed with them for a year after getting my 2nd Mates Certificate. By 1975 things were changing and I was not enjoying the life any more so came ashore and somehow became an engineer!

non descript
16th December 2008, 09:46
Carl, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and making that first posting. Enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your further postings in due course. (Thumb)

bert thompson
16th December 2008, 10:33
Welcome Carl to this wonderful site
Best wishes
Bert.

R58484956
16th December 2008, 10:51
Greetings Carl and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

billyboy
16th December 2008, 10:51
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

K urgess
16th December 2008, 11:44
Welcome to the crew, Carl.
You'll find plenty of Bankline lads knocking around the ship.
Enjoy the trip.

GWB
16th December 2008, 12:19
Welcome aboard sport I am sure you will soon find your way around and enjoy the voyage.

GWB

benjidog
16th December 2008, 22:24
Welcome from Lancashire
I hope you will enjoy the site.

Gulpers
17th December 2008, 14:29
Carl,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

Bruce Carson
17th December 2008, 15:22
Carl, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, it's good to have you onboard.
I think you'll enjoy our site: make yourself at home and join in our spirited discussions.

Bruce

Carl Wadkin
17th December 2008, 21:11
I just noticed that my cargo on the Eileen M was censored! It was nothing terrible; just the waste from steel works, begins with s and ends with g. I was told it was being used for road building.

K urgess
17th December 2008, 21:18
Unfortunately the site software thinks it's a derogative word for a young lady of doubtful morals so removes it. If you'd said steel process waste you would have been fine.
One of those little things you have to get used to and find ways to work around.
It used to edit the middle out of Marseilles as well. [=P]
Cheers
Kris

Derek Roger
17th December 2008, 21:41
Welcome from Canada ; enjoy the site . Regards Derek