Le Hourdel (Bay of Somme/France)

duthoit
22nd December 2008, 09:31
Hello,
I'm from france and i'm looking for all vessels used to the flint traffic between somme estuary and UK.
I hope to all members a merry christmas and happy new year.
Christophe

bert thompson
22nd December 2008, 09:42
Welcome Christophe to this wonderful site
Best wishes
Bert.

duthoit
22nd December 2008, 10:06
Bert ,thank you for your quick reply and sorry for my poor english...In fact i'm looking for a picture of a vessel nammed SS Giant , can you see the following text:

I am researching a ship called the S.S.Giant of which my Grandfather John Grant, was Master. Though called "Giant", she was a modest 273 ton cargo carrier which traded out of Dartmouth. On my Grandfather's last voyage on the Giant, she sailed from Le Hourdel (near St.Valery sur Somme) on 8th January, 1917, bound for Dartmouth with a cargo of flint. She never made port and was believed lost at sea in a gale.

The Giant was built in 1916 and registered in Liverpool with the Official Number 136127. She was owned by Alexander M Jones of London.

Do you know where I could obtain more information about this ship - maybe a plan of her, picture or photograph or picture of the type of vessel she would have resembled.

You would think with all the above information, it would be easy to fill in the last gap, but its certainly not proving to be the case. It is for this reason, any help would be much appreciated.
Sincerely, John Grant
I have few old pictures of british cargo in le hourdel during the period of 1903/1930 , but nothing about the SS Giant.So i cross the fingers with shipsnostalgia forum.
Cordialement
Christophe

R58484956
22nd December 2008, 10:13
Bonjoir Christophe and welcome to SN from the south of England. Bon voyage and a merry Christmas.

billyboy
22nd December 2008, 10:42
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

GWB
22nd December 2008, 11:40
Welcome aboard Christophe from Brisbane Australia enjoy the trip.

GWB

K urgess
22nd December 2008, 11:47
Welcome to the crew, Christophe.
I'm sure there is someone aboard the ship that will be able to help.
Meanwhile have a good Christmas and enjoy the voyage.

Gulpers
22nd December 2008, 20:45
Christophe,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey, I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
I am also sure that someone will be able to help with your query in the meantime have a good look around the site. (Thumb)

benjidog
22nd December 2008, 23:08
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will enjoy the site.

duthoit
25th December 2008, 07:03
Hello,
In fact i'm looking for a dredger nammed ELY built in 1881 recorded in liverpool with number 136127, the owner was Mr Jones of London.She hes been renammed SS GIANT PROBABLY for WW1.This vessel leaved Le hourdel(somme estuary)the 7 or 8january 1917. She never made port (dartmouth)and has been declared lost at sea the 7 march 1917.Is there somebody to help me in this research ?
Joyeux nol tous
Trs cordialement
Christophe

gdynia
26th December 2008, 06:32
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage