Sam boats

lester
5th January 2009, 07:51
Hi,
My Father, Ted Searle, (1923-2005) served on British ships out of
Liverpool from 1942 to 1954. I have found photographs of all except Samteviot and Samur. Would be keen to see any available

Thanks
Lester Searle (Coffs Harbour, Australia)

Arthur Jenner
5th January 2009, 07:59
I was on a ship in Adelaide. Can't remember which ship but the Sam Tampa left for UK about the same time as us. We made it. She vanished in the South Atlantic

non descript
5th January 2009, 08:43
Lester, a warm welcome to you, and thank you for joining the site. You should find some good replies, and we very much look forward to your further postings in due course. (Thumb)

non descript
5th January 2009, 09:21
Lester welcome to SN. A bit of luck with Samur...

http://www.armed-guard.com/lsip03.html

Well done (Applause)

bert thompson
5th January 2009, 10:02
Welcome Lester to this wonderful site
Best wishes
Bert.

billyboy
5th January 2009, 10:06
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

Gulpers
5th January 2009, 10:18
Lester,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

teb
5th January 2009, 10:50
Lester- welcome from the other side of the country(Perth) I too sailed on a Samboat out of Liverpool in 1944 the Samidway not sure if you will obtain photos of Samteviot/Samoa but i presume. they were standard liberty vessels built in the USA during the war. They were (more or less-I'm sure )exact replicas of each other so apart from the name it would be pretty difficult to tell one liberty ship from another- Regards -Teb

R58484956
5th January 2009, 10:57
Greetings Lester and welcome to SN from the south of England. Bon voyage.

K urgess
5th January 2009, 12:08
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Lester.
I see the crew have been helpful already.
As you explore the ship you'll meet quite a few friendly shipmates.
Enjoy the voyage.

sam2182sw
5th January 2009, 20:24
great ships i could look at them all day although thay look the same what workhorses thay where and still trading up to a few years back sam

R396040
5th January 2009, 21:29
On my first trip to sea 1947/8 on board Loch Garth from Bermuda to Kingston,Jamaica in the so called Bermuda Triangle area I recall we were asked to watch out for the SAMKEY which was missing. She was never found I recall. She had loaded full cargo of bulk sugar in Cuba bound for UK I believe. Just before joining Loch Garth I had stood by another ex Sam boat renamed Beresina, RMLs also had another one called Barranca .
Stuart Henderson

lester
9th January 2009, 00:48
Thanks everyone, fantastic network you have
Cheers
Lester Searle

gdynia
9th January 2009, 11:04
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

John Gurton
9th January 2009, 18:22
My late father was serving on the SAMPA when she was mined off Ostend 27/2/1945. They ended up rowing quite a distance before being picked up and brought ashore at Sheerness. Ironically where I am now based. Has anyone knowledge of where I might obtain a photo of the ship?

sidsal
9th January 2009, 20:08
Samkey
I knew 2 members of Samkey's crew. One was 3rd Sparks on Brocklebanks Maihar in 1943 and the other was a fellow cadet from HMS Conway - called Gee.
Terrible tragedy !

Jacktar1
9th January 2009, 20:23
Reference the SS Samtampa........the Samtampa disaster occured on April 23rd, 1947 in the Bristol Channel. You can enter SS SAMTAMPA-WIKIPEDIA in Google and get the details.
Cheers....Glan(R397279)

ernhelenbarrett
19th January 2009, 07:00
Sailed on two of the Ben Line "SAM" ships, Samdauntless/Bendoran and Samaffric/Benvrackie in 1947/48. Ben Line put a rivetted strengthening band
round the hull to hold the welding together (couldnt trust those U.S. lady welders !!) and also had their trademark grainwork on the outside accommodation bulkheads, we used to get people coming onboard and tapping it to see if it was made of wood.The grainwork was all done by hand, Nr3 Chinese Painter did the first coat and the Nr2 and Nr1 did the grainwork
including the "wooden" knots using their own human hair brushes. I liked the
the "SAM" boats as they were comfortable ships and even had coffee perculators !! Unheard of on British ships.
Ern Barrett