Brocklebank crew mates 1939 to 1970

CalMEDon1
16th November 2017, 19:42
My late father-in-law, Thomas Robertson (originally from Abernethy Perthshire Scotland), joined T & J Brocklebank Ltd (later Cunard-Brocklebank) in 1939 and sailed the UK (Birkenhead) to Calcutta runs until around 1970. Anyone with a connection, eg. fellow crew member? Thanks.

billyboy
16th November 2017, 22:38
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

CalMEDon1
17th November 2017, 11:25
Thank you

Jim S
17th November 2017, 17:48
Hi,

Perhaps to help jolt a few memories among us old timers can you let us know in what capacity your father-in-law served in with Brocklebanks?
Regards

Don A.Macleod
17th November 2017, 20:09
As Jim has suggested that perhaps a bit more info could be a bit helpful though I think we're maybe a bit thin on the ground now as I suspect he may have been a quartermaster judging by location a years in service. The name sort of rings a bell in that I spent time on coastals (HT) in the 60s and met quite a few QMs doing likewise. Hope youglean something from your query.

Regards Don

sidsal
17th November 2017, 20:28
I was in Brocks from 1943 to 1947 as apprentice, 4th and 3rd mate. nme doesn't ring a bell. As someone has asked - what capacity was he in ?

CalMEDon1
17th November 2017, 22:06
Many thanks, everyone. My wife remembers that he was indeed a Quartermaster. Also between 1970 and his retiral following an accident at work in December 1970 (serious injury to his foot), Thomas Robertson was working nearer home with Cunard-Brocklebank - out of Jarrow. On the Malwana he was known as ‘Robbie’. That’s all we know currently. Donald

Harry Nicholson
7th December 2017, 21:41
Many thanks, everyone. My wife remembers that he was indeed a Quartermaster. Also between 1970 and his retiral following an accident at work in December 1970 (serious injury to his foot), Thomas Robertson was working nearer home with Cunard-Brocklebank - out of Jarrow. On the Malwana he was known as ‘Robbie’. That’s all we know currently. Donald

It was probably ss Mawana. I was r/o on her in 59. Don't recall your relative at the moment - a long time ago.
It might be worth posting this on the Brocklebank page of this site.

CalMEDon1
9th December 2017, 19:22
Many thanks.