Troopships to and from India 1943-1947

annewd
24th January 2009, 15:55
I am researching my family history and looking to fill in some gaps reound my father's army service in India. I know he left Liverpool some time in 1943 I think for Bombay, returning to UK in 1947. He was in the Royal Army Medical Corps. I recall him talking about P&O liners and the names Strathmore and Stratheden come to mind - I've seen both names mentioned on various webpages, but wondered if anyone knew where I could find reliable shipping route information. I tried the ancestry.co.uk Passenger Lists incoming to UK for that period but nothing came up! thanks

K urgess
24th January 2009, 15:59
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire.
I've moved your post to the Hello forum for a better response.
Find your way around the ship and get to know the crew.
Enjoy the voyage.

annewd
24th January 2009, 16:00
Thank you - I was just wondering why I couldn't find it in the Research section! I'm in west yorkshire!

ian d.cameron
24th January 2009, 16:24
The National Archives documents only have the homeward bound trips, but it might be of some use to you.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/searchresults.asp?SearchInit=0&txtsearchterm=Strathmore&txtfirstdate=&txtlastdate=&txtrestriction=bt&hdnsorttype=Reference&image1.x=21&image1.y=9

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/searchresults.asp?SearchInit=0&txtsearchterm=Stratheden&txtfirstdate=&txtlastdate=&txtrestriction=bt&hdnsorttype=Reference&image1.x=30&image1.y=10

I am sure there is someone in here that will know more

bert thompson
24th January 2009, 16:25
Welcome to this wonderful site. See you are already being directed in the correct course
Best wishes
Bert.

R58484956
24th January 2009, 16:53
Greetings annewd and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Gulpers
24th January 2009, 17:21
annewd,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

benjidog
24th January 2009, 19:07
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will enjoy the site.

annewd
24th January 2009, 20:34
Thanks for the welcome everyone and for the pointer to the Nat Archives site. Looks like must have been the Strathmore he came back on, the date would fit, her sailing date is 12 May 1947, he was discharged April 1947. I need a trip to the Archives one day for the passenger lists.

billyboy
24th January 2009, 21:35
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

charles henry
26th January 2009, 14:38
Thanks for the welcome everyone and for the pointer to the Nat Archives site. Looks like must have been the Strathmore he came back on, the date would fit, her sailing date is 12 May 1947, he was discharged April 1947. I need a trip to the Archives one day for the passenger lists.

For a general idea of the feelings and attitude of the troops in that area at that time you might check out the song

"Bless em all"

de chas(Pint)