William (Ray) Wheeler

capital3
1st February 2009, 19:17
[/B]
Hi everybody!

I have been a member of this Site for some time now and thought it time I introduced myself. I am now 76 years old but wish I was 20. I left School in 1947 to work in the Dry Docks in Cardiff UK serving my time as a Boilermaker. In those days, we had National Service in the UK so everyone of age had to go. I could have deffered until I finished my Aprenticship at 21, but decided to go at 18 and get it over with and come out after 2 years and then finish my Aprenticship. This I did and then in 1956 I joined the Merchant Navy as a Junior Engineer with John I Jacobs of Newcastle on their MV Oakwood which was an Oil Tanker. Everyone is aware of the SUEZ Crisis and when it happened. Anyway we had gone out through the Suez on the way to the Perishing Gulf, but could not come back through it as it had been blocked by Mr Nasser. At that time, there was Fuel Rationing in the UK, but we were running Oil all over the World. Would you believe a Trip from Abadan to Venice around the Cape (nearly back where we started from) That trip was 6 weeks at sea with Bunkers in Capetown and Dakar, In those days, Articles were a lot stricter than today. The only time you could sign off a British Ship was when it touched a UK Port. That particular first voyage for me lasted 10months and 10 days as we never came within a whisker of a UK Port. Anyway I have talked for to long and wish all Seafarers the bet of Health and Happiness.

Ray

K urgess
1st February 2009, 19:22
A belated welcome aboard, Ray.
Thank you for the introduction to the crew.
Find your way around the ship and have a good trip.

Bruce Carson
1st February 2009, 20:31
Ray, thanks for the fine intruction. Good to have you onboard.
You have stuck with us for three years and I would think you must be enjoying SN.(Thumb)

Bruce

billyboy
1st February 2009, 20:55
Welcome aboard from the Philippnes. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

benjidog
1st February 2009, 21:23
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will enjoy the site.

R58484956
2nd February 2009, 11:07
Greetings Ray and welcome to SN on your first interesting posting. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

Gulpers
2nd February 2009, 16:28
Ray,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey!
I see you have been a member for some time and I hope you are thoroughly enjoying the SN experience.
Now that you've taken the plunge, keep posting. (Thumb)

bert thompson
2nd February 2009, 20:29
Welcome Ray. Look forward to more of your adeventures
Best wishes
Bert

gdynia
3rd February 2009, 01:12
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage