The "Iris" revisted.

ferrypip
2nd February 2009, 20:11
I actually worked on TSMV "ROYAL IRIS" for nearly 7 years.I left her in 89 at the end of her Mersey life.Highlight of the 7 years was taking her to London and bringing her back.

bert thompson
2nd February 2009, 20:22
Welcome to this great site
Best wishes
Bert.

K urgess
2nd February 2009, 20:33
Welcome abaord from East Yorkshire.
Find your way around the ship and get to know the crew.
Enjoy the voyage.

Steve Woodward
2nd February 2009, 20:36
Pip
Welcome to SN from Suffolk, enjoy your time with us
Steve

benjidog
2nd February 2009, 23:02
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will enjoy the site.

Cobbydale
2nd February 2009, 23:30
I actually worked on TSMV "ROYAL IRIS" for nearly 7 years.I left her in 89 at the end of her Mersey life.Highlight of the 7 years was taking her to London and bringing her back.

Do you remember who the skipper was..on the trip to London?

gdynia
3rd February 2009, 01:09
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

ferrypip
3rd February 2009, 14:55
Yes, he was brought in from "outside" the ferries.Capt Ian Metcalf from Carmet Towing. A gentleman. Regards.

Cobbydale
3rd February 2009, 15:02
Yes, he was brought in from "outside" the ferries.Capt Ian Metcalf from Carmet Towing. A gentleman. Regards.

Thanks,sailed with the bold Ian many times in Howards tugs, also worked on Wallasey Ferries as a deck lad back in the late 50's. My father was there for 41 years..
cheers

rstimaru
3rd February 2009, 20:23
Yes i had many a happy hour on her Bob

Bruce Carson
3rd February 2009, 21:02
From Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, FP, it's good to have you onboard.
Make yourself at home and join in our friendly discussions at any time.

Bruce

ferrypip
3rd February 2009, 21:12
Thanks for the welcome Bruce.

Pat Kennedy
3rd February 2009, 21:23

If its the same Ian Metcalfe I remember, he ran a Sea Scout troop in Wallasey, nice guy.
I used to knock around with Gerry McGovern who was a crew member on the Wallasey Ferries along with , I think, two of his brothers. Do you remember them?
Rgds,
Pat

ferrypip
5th February 2009, 20:15
Sorry Pat dont know the people mentioned ,but will make enquires and let you know, rgrds.

Bill Davies
5th February 2009, 20:19
What about Capts McComack and Sonny Lewis?

WallyMalcolm
12th April 2009, 15:02
If its the same Ian Metcalfe I remember, he ran a Sea Scout troop in Wallasey, nice guy.
I used to knock around with Gerry McGovern who was a crew member on the Wallasey Ferries along with , I think, two of his brothers. Do you remember them?
Rgds,
Pat

I have just joined for my Dad as he is hopeless on the computer.
He was a captain on the ferries he is 84 now and started when he was 16 till he retired in 1981 on ill health.
He rembers Gerry McGovern he had a brother called Albert and another called Tommy who was a ticket collecter.
My Dad thinks Gerry lives in Seacombe as he spoke to him last week.
Linda

WallyMalcolm
12th April 2009, 15:03
What about Capts McComack and Sonny Lewis?

My Dad worked with Capt McCormack he saya he was in the Royal Navy in the war:)