Gothic fire

akmax
6th February 2009, 00:39
Is there anyone out there on the Gothic which caught fire out of Bluff in 1968. I would like to hear from you

ewenlowrie
12th April 2009, 12:28
lowrie ewen here i sailed on the zealandic with sheltie tom hay mad as a meat axe but a good mate i believe he was gaing to get a double dr but after his heroics fire fighting he ended up with a pair of vgs i believe he disappered in london one night and never heard of again cheer for now lowrie

ferrandou
13th April 2009, 12:46
I sailed on her the trip after she caught fire, there were numerous small fires, usually electricity generated.
Freaky going through the burnt out accommodation on the 12 to 4.

Bob Hollis

Is there anyone out there on the Gothic which caught fire out of Bluff in 1968. I would like to hear from you

james buist
14th April 2009, 06:22

i was on the gothic the two trips before the fire transfered to corinthic met gothic incuracao not very nice i could have been very lucky

pbeart1
12th October 2009, 01:02
i was on the gothic the two trips before the fire transfered to corinthic met gothic incuracao not very nice i could have been very lucky

Hi Jim,
I was on the Corinthic same trip. Sent you an email.Plum.

tony mullen
12th October 2009, 10:21

hello there akmax. just seen your question , it was placed sometime ago
but if you are still interested, I was a day work greaser onthe gothic
when we had the fire you mention. be pleased to share it with you.
tony mullen

jj b
15th October 2009, 21:39
lowrie ewen here i sailed on the zealandic with sheltie tom hay mad as a meat axe but a good mate i believe he was gaing to get a double dr but after his heroics fire fighting he ended up with a pair of vgs i believe he disappered in london one night and never heard of again cheer for now lowrie

Hello ewenlowire, jjb, my 1st time on this site,I've was @ sea 4 30 odd years,from deck boy 2 C/off/Master,I all so was on the Zealandic back I think 68/70 as jos on the USA/AUS/NZ run, they say that the Zea/Laur where sisters ships, but if my memory serve me right, the Zealandic had wooden Tieck main decks FWD of the accommodation & still decks AFT, I think we where in Nelson as the Lauren tic was alongside @ the same time, I think It was a weekend , anyway we went on board to have a chat & a beer & I no test that the Lauren tic had all still decks, that warrants non sisters it has always baffled me why they hat to be called sisters, but I like the V/L nice looking ship, I then went to the Arawak from the Zealand, & then back coasting for a while.

Kalamaki Bob
17th October 2009, 17:47
Laurentic had wooden decks as well both for'd and astern of the accomodation. I know only too well - as a cadet I holy stoned them! Steel decks round the poop and on the foc'sle. They had freezer spaces all the way up in 2, 3 & 4 - hence the wooden decks for insulation.

jj b
19th October 2009, 20:22
Laurentic had wooden decks as well both for'd and astern of the accomodation. I know only too well - as a cadet I holy stoned them! Steel decks round the poop and on the foc'sle. They had freezer spaces all the way up in 2, 3 & 4 - hence the wooden decks for insulation.

Hello Kalamaki, thank u 4 coming back 2 me & 4 putting me right, it was so long ago but it has been suck in my head all thees years, thanks jjb

bjkirkwood
15th November 2009, 21:57
If you're interested the Timeframes part of national library website has photos available online, a cant remember how many but there was a few of them.

Anthony John Clark
26th November 2016, 09:51
Hi, My name is Tony Clark, I was 4th. Engineer on the Gothic in 1968 and was on it during the fire. I remember it very clearly, I suppose it's something you never can forget. Danny Mulcahey, Paul Goldfinch and Eddie Skelly were three engineers, and close friends, plus Mr. and Mrs. Halliday and their two lads Allan and David, although they had only been on board for a few days. We did get a few out of their cabins before the fire got to them, I remember I was with the junior Engineers of my watch, (the 8 to 12) Willie McGurk from Lisbourne, Northern Ireland, but the name of the other Engineer escapes me. and we managed to get out the 2nd Eng. Colin Whickam. Chief Eng. was John (Jock) Mackinnon, 3rd Officer David Buck, Radio Officer Roger Cliffe, Tony Mullen, your name rings a bell, but I can't put a face to it, sorry. I have come across a few newspaper clippings for the Wellington Post, and if I can scan them in, I might try to attach them, if I can find out how to do it.

Regards to every one - Tony

NikkiM
16th February 2017, 22:41
Hi was there a Les Moore on one of the travels to Wellington New Zealand?

GWB
13th April 2017, 17:38
akmax, there is a great account of the fire running in the Sea Breezes Magazine
starting this month and going on next month, well worth a look. Tells about the 2nd engineer escaping through a window which was jammed and an other engineer smashed it with a wheel spanner great read.
GWB

Anthony John Clark
18th October 2017, 07:44
Hi to everyone, being a reader and responder to this topic, and after lot of encouragement from family, friends, people seeking information on this site, plus the support of Neil Sanderson from the Maritimeradio.org website in New Zealand. I have decided to put down my own narrative of how the Fire on the Gothic unfolded for me that night.

It is not meant to be a report, those are available from other sources, it is purely what I remember of things that happened to my watch of engineers who had just come off the 8-12 that night., the few days that followed, and incidents occurring later. I can tell you it took a bit of doing, my emotions were tossed about a lot, some tears, some laughs, but it had to be done for the memories of those who were lost that night. The 50th. anniversary is less than a year away from now they deserve to be remembered.

Please take it for what it is, memories of an "old fellah" relating this story stuck in his head for a very long time, may it never go away.

Tony

(maritimeradio.org/in-distress/gothic-fire/face-to-face-with-disaster/)

andrewcarol.c
18th October 2017, 08:36
Very moving Tony.
From your old mates Bert and Carol Campbell, off
the "Aramaic".
You saved Colin Wickham. I was at his funeral some years ago.

alaric
18th October 2017, 10:59
Tony Clark's post #14 (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=14)
Wonderful poem Tony.

alaric
18th October 2017, 17:54
With Tony's approval, the poem he wrote after Gothic's return to Wellington in August 1968, in tribute to those who died in the fire.
Eighteen hundred miles out, In the grip of the storm
Men restlessly slept awaiting the dawn
The ship tossed about as the seas they grew higher
Then 2:30 am, the ship was on fire
Alarms bells they rang and men they did shout
At the sleep-fogged minds of those just turned out
They tumbled from beds as though in a dream
The illusion soon shattered by the wind’s banshee scream
The Radio room, it soon caught alight
No “MAY DAY” was sent, no-one knew of our plight
Through four desperate hours each man played his part
With smoke-blackened faces, silent tears in their heart
The flames, fanned by fury, through decks it was blown
And nothing remained of the splendour we’d known
The heat so intense, the boats were swung out
Everything seemed lost, ‘til the ship turned about
The winds that not long ago, to the flames were allied
Now turned the fire back ‘til eventually it died
We headed for land that would take us five days
Of the Master, the crew, spoke nothing but praise
With one day to go a message got through
Four days after the fire before the world knew
The port of Wellington was reached at long last
And everyone says time will blot out the past
Of August the first, on that fateful morn
The fight against death ‘til the first light of dawn
The thoughts will remain to prey on your mind
Those only at peace are the seven who died.
AJC – Aug 1968

Bill Morrison
27th July 2018, 20:47
Hi to everyone, being a reader and responder to this topic, and after lot of encouragement from family, friends, people seeking information on this site, plus the support of Neil Sanderson from the Maritimeradio.org website in New Zealand. I have decided to put down my own narrative of how the Fire on the Gothic unfolded for me that night.

It is not meant to be a report, those are available from other sources, it is purely what I remember of things that happened to my watch of engineers who had just come off the 8-12 that night., the few days that followed, and incidents occurring later. I can tell you it took a bit of doing, my emotions were tossed about a lot, some tears, some laughs, but it had to be done for the memories of those who were lost that night. The 50th. anniversary is less than a year away from now they deserve to be remembered.

Please take it for what it is, memories of an "old fellah" relating this story stuck in his head for a very long time, may it never go away.

Tony

(maritimeradio.org/in-distress/gothic-fire/face-to-face-with-disaster/)

Hi Tony I have taken the liberty of using you post.
It was Fifty years ago yesterday 26/07/ 1968 that I sat in a bar in
Bluff having a farewell drink with one of your colleagues on the Gothic
3rd Electrician Eddie Skelly.We joined Shaw Saville on the same day in1967 and he had decided that life at sea was not for him and would finish when back in the U.K. It was not to be as on the 01/08/1968 he lost his life fighting the fire on the Gothic. I have never forgotten him. R.I.P. Eddie
Bill

Willcooper
1st August 2018, 22:08

Hi akmax, 50yrs today l was on 12/4 watch in engine room/fridge flat. I am having a tinny or 2 or 3 and counting my blessings.

akmax
2nd August 2018, 22:53
Hi akmax, 50yrs today l was on 12/4 watch in engine room/fridge flat. I am having a tinny or 2 or 3 and counting my blessings.
Hi Will, good to hear from you. I was on deck. I joined Gothic in Bluff, apparently some of the crew didn't want the excitement on the way back. After Liverpool, I went out east and spent the next few years in Asia / Pacific. I came back to UK in 1973 having seen the writing on the wall of containers, general purpose third-world crews etc. I live in London suburbs. How about you?

Willcooper
5th August 2018, 14:49
Hi akmax, good to hear from you to, I am located in the Doncaster area. Swallowed the hook mid seventies for more or less the same reasons as you.
I was with Tony Mullen on the hoses behind the bridge and radio shack area during fire .I have been in touch with Tony but I have not heard from for some time,he was a good shipmate.

john j c
13th October 2018, 20:40
hi my husband was on Gothic when it went afire in 1968 .. he was a steward looking after the Halliwell family