mv narva

john mc ginley
8th February 2009, 09:43
the pool in glasgow offered me this ship in november 1957 i declined as i wanted to join the (SS META).which was due into glasgow about a week before the ill fated(NARVA). (IS THIS NOT FATE).we carried the same cargo ,pulp/wood.

K urgess
8th February 2009, 11:26
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, John.
Sounds like a narrow escape.
Explore the ship, get to know the crew and have a good trip.

R58484956
8th February 2009, 12:03
Greetings John and welcome to SN from the south of England on your first posting. Bon voyage.

Bruce Carson
8th February 2009, 13:35
John, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, it's good to have you onboard.
There's a Ships Nostalgia thread on the 'Narva' here:
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=15092

Bruce

benjidog
8th February 2009, 15:41
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will enjoy the site.

bert thompson
8th February 2009, 16:59
Welcome John to this wonderful site
Best wishes
Bert.

duquesa
8th February 2009, 17:21
Welcome. Interesting to see an old Glen man about. I was c/o on the Winga, the last of the fleet. Master was McNabb.

john mc ginley
8th February 2009, 19:56
Welcome. Interesting to see an old Glen man about. I was c/o on the Winga, the last of the fleet. Master was McNabb.

i sailed under captain a.d.mcnabb on the ss meta i paid off on130158.(many waves ago).

john mc ginley
8th February 2009, 20:02
Welcome John to this wonderful site
Best wishes
Bert.

good to be on board ,bert.( hope the weather gets better).

john mc ginley
8th February 2009, 20:04
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will enjoy the site.

glad to be on board ,benjidog(hope to have a good trip).

john mc ginley
8th February 2009, 20:08
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, John.
Sounds like a narrow escape.
Explore the ship, get to know the crew and have a good trip.

hope to have a good safe trip,i have had enough narrow escapes in the past.

john mc ginley
8th February 2009, 20:15
Greetings John and welcome to SN from the south of England on your first posting. Bon voyage.

thank you R58484956 glad to be on board ,hope to have a good trip (and hope its not a hungry ship!!).

john mc ginley
8th February 2009, 20:23
John, from Michigan, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, it's good to have you onboard.
There's a Ships Nostalgia thread on the 'Narva' here:
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=15092

Bruce
thanks bruce i have a copy of the thread on the 'NARVA'.
(IT IS VERY INTERESTING READING)something i have a few views on.

rbarr
8th February 2009, 20:56
Did my last trip to sea on the 'Cara'
Dublin to Finland. Paid off in Belfast August 1959.
Nice old ship.

john mc ginley
8th February 2009, 21:32
Did my last trip to sea on the 'Cara'
Dublin to Finland. Paid off in Belfast August 1959.
Nice old ship.

thank you rbarr for your contact.knew the 'CARA.never sailed on her ,but i sailed on the 'JURA',SHUNA,META.i understand that the owner (GLEN LINE)called a lot of his ships after some of his daughters/,CARA,THELMA,SHUNA.ZENA.i have a lot of good memories on these ships

john mc ginley
9th February 2009, 19:41
(inflation sure bites).came across shipping pay off slip it was my fathers.>this is to certify that mr john mc ginley has been employed as fireman on this vessel from 11th november 1941 to 16th december,1941.the sum of 19/7 in lieu of holidays has been paid. master. s/t "empire bascobel" devenport 16th december,1941

john mc ginley
9th February 2009, 19:54
anyone any info on the transylvania.my father done 7 trips on her from 1932 to 1934 she sailed from glasgow to new york and the west indies.he was a trimmer on her.

john mc ginley
9th February 2009, 20:05
anyone any info on the "avelona star".she sailed from victoria docks glasgow to river plate/argentina.she was one of the blue star line.my father sailed on her 26/05/1932.also i have found an argentine immigration regulation book with photo identification for this trip??????

gdynia
10th February 2009, 00:36
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

john mc ginley
10th February 2009, 19:59
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

thank you gdynia ,for your welcome onboard.hope the seas are calm for this voyage.

john mc ginley
10th February 2009, 20:11
any old( glen line )seamen remember a skipper.L J Blanche. and a skipper R.J.Clark.they both sailed ,under the glen line.

ian d.cameron
10th February 2009, 20:33
Hi John
Some info
AVELONA STAR
http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=2242
TRANSYLVANIA
http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=885
EMPIRE BASCOBEL
http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/256868

john mc ginley
11th February 2009, 13:41
thanks very much IAN.its good to put a photo of something i have heard about from my dad.

john mc ginley
11th February 2009, 21:04
my first trip was glasgow to newport virginia.on arrival we had the american authorities on board.it was three blokes dressed in military,with medals,ribbons etc.the skipper informed them who we were,rank etc . in 1956 mccarthyism was on the go ,and this was the interview system they had adopted,before we were allowed to go ashore.the interview went like this(ARE YOU A COMMUNIST)??.no i replied .(ARE YOU A CHRISTIAN)?? .no i replied.(IM A ROMAN CATHOLIC). all my shipmates fell about in laughter(WELL I WAS ONLY 16.

David Williams
11th February 2009, 21:22
Hi John.
When I read about instances like that,
It makes me more sure that there is
such a thing as Fate.You were lucky.
Nice to hear from you.

Dave Williams(R583900)

john mc ginley
12th February 2009, 17:36
Hi John.
When I read about instances like that,
It makes me more sure that there is
such a thing as Fate.You were lucky.
Nice to hear from you.

Dave Williams(R583900)
thanks for your comments,DAVE.i do believe there is fate.my dad paid off the (SS TRANSYLVANIA) , 1939.she was torpedoed and sunk10/08/1940(HE HAD DONE SEVEN TRIPS ON HER PREVIOUSLY).

JohnBP
12th February 2009, 18:04
Welcome from Canada.. enjoy this great site

john mc ginley
12th February 2009, 19:42
Welcome from Canada.. enjoy this great site

thanks johnbp for your welcome on board.i am enjoying the trip. i have found the crew very helpful,and there is a lot of knowledge onboard.

john mc ginley
18th February 2009, 20:31
anyone remember an instructor at the sea training school vindicatrix.1956. his nickname was (DIXIE DEAN).named after the most prolific goal-scorer in english football history who played for everton,where he spent most of his career.

john mc ginley
19th February 2009, 20:20
i was looking forward to my first trip(nothing but water all round,as far as the eye could see). after a couple of days that was all i did see(as i was leaning over the side shouting for(shueee,i was sick as i have never been in my life).we had hit a storm,i had never seen waves so tall and broad in my life(the only boating i had done was in springburn park in a paddle boat,the only waves where from some drunk throwing an empty bottle into the pond.
we were light ship ,to pick up coal in (NEWPORT) that was my first taste of the (ATLANTIC).!! i can still taste it!!!!!!

Gulpers
21st February 2009, 16:31
John,

A belated warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

john mc ginley
21st February 2009, 20:22
GULPERS, thank you for the welcome on board.i am enjoying my trip so far.i have had a few happy hours reading some of the comments/and answers ,in the forum.

Gulpers
21st February 2009, 23:17
Glad to hear that John - once again, welcome aboard. (Thumb)