Unknown shipping flags

Bredo
8th January 2018, 00:16
Anyone who knows where these flags come from?

Dartskipper
8th January 2018, 20:45
The pennant displaying St George is typical of a flag flown by a small excursion vessel. There was such a vessel that was originally built as Gondolier Princess by J. Bolson of Poole in 1935.

http://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/register/1413/st-george

Bredo
9th January 2018, 12:38
Thanks. That is strange. These flags were found in an old harbour warehouse in the Faroe Islands. The Sc. George is 3-4 meters. Must have been flown by I bigger vessel, I guess.

Laurie Ridyard
9th January 2018, 17:11
There is a H.K. company called Wan Hai Linesbut their House Flag is awhite with a black W.

Perhaps it is an older version of their house flag.

Try Emailing them....

Laurie.

Bredo
9th January 2018, 18:02
Thanks, but very unlikely that a flag from them has found its way to a old Faroese harour warehouse. On Facebook somebody mentioned Wilson Humber Lines, but I can't find anything on that company.

kevhogg
9th January 2018, 19:40
wilson Hall line

Hugh MacLean
9th January 2018, 22:14
wilson Hall line
There was no such shipping company. There was Ellerman Wilson and Ellerman Hall but not Wilson Hall.

Regards
Hugh

Bredo
10th January 2018, 08:29
But there was The Wilson Lines of Hull as I understand.

Bill.B
10th January 2018, 10:51
Spurs supporters. White Hart lane!

Hugh MacLean
10th January 2018, 20:52
But there was The Wilson Lines of Hull as I understand.

Yes, in 1916 The Wilson Line was bought by J.R. Ellerman and became Ellerman's Wilson Line Ltd in 1917 although it traded as a separate entity with its own distinctive livery of red funnel with a black top and most of the vessels had dark green hulls. This was a complete contrast to the buff funnels with a black top and white dividing line used by the grey hulled Ellerman Lines' vessels.

Regards
Hugh

howardang
10th January 2018, 22:23
Thanks, but very unlikely that a flag from them has found its way to a old Faroese harour warehouse. On Facebook somebody mentioned Wilson Humber Lines, but I can't find anything on that company.

I think they may be thinking of Associated Humber Line (AHL).

I seem to remember that some coastal sailing trading vessels had pennants like these as did some fishing vessels.

Howard