Baron Douglas and Mapledore

bobsue
10th January 2018, 15:33
I shipped out on the Baron Douglas May 1956 and on the Mapledore, February 1957. I wonder if there is anyone out there who can remember these fine ships.

I remember that Baron Douglas was a forced to diet ship and that the Mapledore was a bit rough.(egg)

Robert Ashton

Samsette
10th January 2018, 18:52
I shipped out on the Baron Douglas May 1956 and on the Mapledore, February 1957. I wonder if there is anyone out there who can remember these fine ships.

I remember that Baron Douglas was a forced to diet ship and that the Mapledore was a bit rough.(egg)

Robert Ashton

Sounds like she was owned by Weightwatchers.

tiachapman
10th January 2018, 20:12
most were at that time yer got yer wack that was it

billyboy
10th January 2018, 23:07
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer.

price
12th January 2018, 13:16
Hello Robert, Yes, I do remember the Mapledore, I sailed in the Stratidore in 1960, with Capt. Taylor who, had previously been master on the Mapledore, he often talked about his old ship and running coal up the St. Lawrence and having to anchor if the tide was against them as she couldn't make sufficient way. I believe that she had focsle accom for the crew. Capt. Taylor seemed to a nice guy and enjoyed having a yarn while puffing his pipe. Bruce