National Service 1951 to 1953

Brian Stanley Adams
26th March 2018, 07:46
I traveled to Suez by troopship from Pier Head Liverpool in October or November 1951. Is it possible to obtain correct details and a photograph of the vessel?

Barrie Youde
26th March 2018, 09:48
You would need to provide further detail of either an exact date or the name of the ship; but then it should be possible to trace via the Merseyside Maritime Museum. There were many troopships around at the time.

Brian Stanley Adams
28th March 2018, 03:55
If I had known the name of the ship I wouldn't have needed your help. I don't think there would have been more than two or three troop carrying ships leaving Pier Head during the times in question. If you could give me those names it would be appreciated.

Regards,
Brian Adams

John Rogers
28th March 2018, 04:12
Could be Empire Ken or the Windrush.

billyboy
28th March 2018, 04:26
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

Samsette
3rd April 2018, 19:55
It could have been Bibby's Lancashire.

kauvaka
3rd April 2018, 22:27
I think Barrie was being helpful plus he suggested a source of further information.

Engine Serang
3rd April 2018, 23:08
Come on lads, drop what your doing and find out all details of troopships leaving Liverpool late 1951, Apparently there would not have been more than two or three troop carrying ships leaving Pier Head during the times in question.
Snap to it, Brian wants an answer.

John Rogers
3rd April 2018, 23:50
I seen Empire Ken a couple of time in the Bitter Lakes unloading troops, Fannara Wharf was the camp.

yogi t
4th April 2018, 06:14
I note in his profile he remembers"
I boarded a tiny grey vessel moored behind what I believed to be the Mauritania. When I got on board I slung my hammock above the straw covered steel plates of the ship's hull. I recall no more than that, except for a bumpy ride across a stormy May of Biscay."
Grey coloured troopships? that might help narrow things down?
Also tiny in comparison to the Mauri!

holland25
4th April 2018, 23:33
You might have better luck at the following site http://www.britisharmedforces.org/pages/pages/nat_troopships.htm#empire,if you havent already tried it.

Bill.B
5th April 2018, 00:15
#8 (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=8) I take it it wasn't a Diplomatic Corp posting!

Engine Serang
5th April 2018, 10:04
#8 (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=8) I take it it wasn't a Diplomatic Corp posting!

BSA of The Foreign Office.

Roger Griffiths
5th April 2018, 14:58
Hello,
With the minumum information posted it really is a needle in a haystack job.
Could the O/P expand a little.
Were you Army/RAF or what. Could you give us the Regiment/Squadron you were part of?
Do you have your personal Service records?
Did the vessel stop at other ports en route?
Did you arrive in Port Said or Suez? I.E. Did you transit the Suez Canal?

Some ships names have been proposed. The following could not have been involved.

EMPIRE KEN
EMPIRE WINDRUSH
OXFORDSHIRE
CHESHIRE

Possibles. Far from complete.

GEORGIC sailed Liverpool 29/10/51 Arrived Port Said 6/11/51
Waited outside port for 6 hours.
EMPIRE TEST LP 1/10 PS 13/10
LANCASHIRE LP 22/11 PS 3/12
DEVONSHIRE LP 17/11 PS 29/11
EMPRESS OF AUSTRALIA LP 8/10 PS 19/10

regards
Roger

Samsette
5th April 2018, 18:48
I seen Empire Ken a couple of time in the Bitter Lakes unloading troops, Fannara Wharf was the camp.
I sailed in her Nov 1949-50. She was managed by Royal Mail Lines and homeported out of Southampton.

John Rogers
5th April 2018, 19:05
I was in the Bitter Lakes loading army equipment and ammo and taking it to Mombasa, did it twice. Spent Christmas at the camp in 1948. I posted a photo of the Ken in my gallery some time ago.