Researching family history

SarahC
22nd April 2018, 14:53
Hello, I am looking for any information on my grandfather William Joseph Gray from Newry, Northern Ireland. He sailed on MV Huntsmore 1959/1960. He died at sea on 24th January 1960 and buried at Rosario, Brazil.

Roger Griffiths
22nd April 2018, 18:38
Hello, I am looking for any information on my grandfather William Joseph Gray from Newry, Northern Ireland. He sailed on MV Huntsmore 1959/1960. He died at sea on 24th January 1960 and buried at Rosario, Brazil.

Hello and welcome,
This seems to be him
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8340287

This would be his "Seamans Pouch"
These records relate to an individual seamen filed together in a pouch. These documents may include application forms (most with a photograph of the seaman), certificates, identity cards, cessation documents and notifications of death.

WHAT YOU REALLY NEED HIS HIS FORM CRS10

The CRS 10 give personal details of each seaman; the front page of the service entries includes:

name;
date of birth;
place of birth;
discharge A number;
rank or rating, with relevant certificate details;
details of any other qualifications;
date CRS 10 first page was created;
British Seamen's Identity Card Notations. The entries refer to correspondence and issuing of cards, certificates, applications etc. The originals in general do not survive except where they have been filed in the seaman's pouch.

The continuation pages show:

a list of ships and their official numbers with date and place of engagement;
rank or rating;
F or H (for Foreign or Home trade voyage);
date and place of discharge from the ship;
character grade;
National Insurance contribution code;
Registry clerk's initials and date of the entry;
when ashore the sheet may bear the entry MNRP (Merchant Navy Reserve Pool) with date and place.

This information about service was extracted from ship's logs and crew agreements lodged by ship owners. The information contained in the register is used to verify entitlement to wartime service medals.

These records are stored alphabeticaly in blocks of 60 names. If anywhere he it will be here

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10990629

You would be best served visiting the National Archive in person or appointing another person to look for you.

gray_marian
23rd April 2018, 02:04
Hi Sarah, Welcome to the site, have sent you the details on your grandfather listed on FMP. Have also taken the liberty of posting a pm to Don Sangster & Adam Philip who may have served on the Huntsmore the same time as your grandfather William. They haven't visited the site recently but hopefully will reply. You can read their posts and others by going to the top of this page and typing in MV Huntsmore in the search forum. Most of the photograph links no longer work, however there is a splendid one provided by AbieR :http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/...hp?lid=1856100

I could not find any info regarding William's burial plot, Rosario, Brazil. I am hoping members here can enlighten us as to the cemeteries used in that area. Best of luck, Marian

billyboy
23rd April 2018, 11:47
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer