Your Discharge Book Number.

Graham the pipe
27th April 2018, 10:20
Sometimes it may take a while before 'something of significance' permeates those 'little grey ones'. Self being no exception it's only taken 61 years for that to happen.

Was given that little book with a hard, blue cover and a 'number' ~ sounds like a scene from 'The Prisoner' {Patrick McGoohan 'No 6'} ~ mine was R681193 which stays in the subconscious for instant recall if and when required.

Was chatting to a distant neighbour who turned out to have been a RO and couldn't believe my seniority in years and rank when he quoted his much higher number.

"Where's this 'story' actually going I hear you ask"?

OK, get to the point Smith! Fine. My Golden Wedding is this year.

"So what has that to do with Discharge Book numbers"?

Only just realised the year and date of the month are 'there', in my number, be it 'jumbled'. Year 1968. Day of the month 13th.

Bet no one 'out there' can beat that oddity but ~ as always ~ stand to be corrected.

Have a good weekend {April 28th and 29th MMXVIII} Folks.

GGG {X GTP now Great Granddad Graham}

clibb
27th April 2018, 11:43
When driving licences changed from a nice little red booklet to a scruffy bit of paper ones date of birth was clearly shown, together with the comment that if you didn't want your date of birth to be evident you could cut it off. What they didn't tell you was that your date of birth was still shown, jumbled up in your driving licenece number. The current plastic jobbies continue this, and your date of birth is still shown in the number.

holmsey
27th April 2018, 11:54
I've had a look at my book and number (R872855) and can see no correlation to my date of birth, so it looks like I was born on the wrong day.

BobClay
27th April 2018, 12:13
I dug out my discharge books (they re-issued in about 1973 so I ended up with two.)

Strangely the number appears to be identical to quite a few passwords I use .. :eek:

Oh s**t what a giveaway !! (*))

James_C
27th April 2018, 12:27
Discharge book numbers were no real guide to date of issue as the marine offices were issued them by the box and all with sequential numbers. Naturally the busier marine offices issued more books and so tended to always have higher numbered books whereas the smaller offices had the lower numbers.
The R number series finished circa 1971, whereupon the UK prefix took over.
By way of an example above, I regularly sailed with a Motorman who had only gone to sea in the early 80s yet stilll had an R series discharge book, issued (if I remember correctly) at Hartlepool - they'd obviously found an old box somewhere and were using them up at time of issue.

woodend
27th April 2018, 14:40
Welcome back GTP you have been noticeable by your absence. R651368, WoodendJD is one of those numbers engraved in the brain somewhere followed by my South African ID number and my ticket number 99000. Why these three numbers particlarly I know not as i have to keep birthday dates and appointments on my phone. Strange.......

Graham the pipe
27th April 2018, 16:29
Have read all replies with extreme interest ~ thanks 'All' and still await a 'coincidental', or otherwise, connection between DB numbers and subsequent events.

Yes, I was aware of driving licence DOB info but not ~ thanks Jim ~ about the issuing procedure in those long ago, non computer days. Bang goes my higher R number designating after self and lower prior. Having said that see post #6, above {Hi John}, ahead of me with, to me expected, lower number. Liverpool '50s being our home and issuing port not surprising that my compatriots, John being one, worked on that logic.

The reason I posted this thread is that it has taken me 61 years to notice my number was issued eleven years before my wedding day, my wife to be was a wee lass of 12 at the time and the last thing on my teenage mind was 'settling down'.

Spooky? Maybe, as the 'Bull's Eye' ~ now in '18 ~ is FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH of July.

weebobby
27th April 2018, 17:36
My wife was born in January 1945 but it wasn't till we started spending more time in Arizona that she noticed that her birthdate in US fashion was 012345

Bob

Rogerfrench
27th April 2018, 18:25
R700363, just celebrated 54 years. Struggling to find a connection!

Graham the pipe
27th April 2018, 19:21
Don't struggle Roger, it's all in the stars, better get that old sext*nt out again and the tables.

Like your wife's numbers Bob. Can't compete with that but do have a great grandson born 17.1.17 and a wife with the initials SAS.

John Rogers
27th April 2018, 20:18
I also can not fined any correlation, my first book was issued in July 1947, a thin cardboard version. In April of 1952 they re- issued a nice hard cover copy with the same number R398395 as the first book only had four more spaces left in it.
Born in 1931 so it don't match any number in the R number. I believe Jim is correct about the issue of books by the Board Of Trade in bulk.

Hugh MacLean
27th April 2018, 21:47
I believe Jim is correct about the issue of books by the Board Of Trade in bulk.

Yes he is. There is no correlation at all with dates of birth.

Regards
Hugh

ernhelenbarrett
28th April 2018, 05:55
First went to sea in 1947, Dis Book number (the thin one) was R359806 then
issued the hard cover book, same number about 1948, you do remember the special numbers especially the Marconi Paybook number or you didn't get paid
7944 or the ID insurance number SCOJ428,can remember my MN ID card had RM
Dutt Money changer on it as you needed ID to change cash on the Indian Coast
way back in those days.
Ern Barrett

Roger Turner
28th April 2018, 20:34
What a momentous subject you have opened up GGG aka GTP (Congrats) a regular Pandora`s Box of trix.
It forced me for the first time of my life, well after 65 years to minutely examine this testament to my unblemished character - not a DR in sight!.
Anyway R59766 Liverpool issue 3/9/53 doesn`t appear to have any mystical correlation with anything significant. Birthday 17/5/1935

But wait I did spot the following at the bottom of page 1 under "Important" blurb
T.91-1252 Wt 3134 20,000 Books 10/52 M.D. & Co Ltd.
Any chance this contributes to the way books were allocated to different areas?

BobClay
28th April 2018, 20:46
What a momentous subject you have opened up GGG aka GTP (Congrats) a regular Pandora`s Box of trix.
It forced me for the first time of my life, well after 65 years to minutely examine this testament to my unblemished character - not a DR in sight!.
Anyway R59766 Liverpool issue 3/9/53 doesn`t appear to have any mystical correlation with anything significant. Birthday 17/5/1935

But wait I did spot the following at the bottom of page 1 under "Important" blurb
T.91-1252 Wt 3134 20,000 Books 10/52 M.D. & Co Ltd.
Any chance this contributes to the way books were allocated to different areas?

I went back and looked after reading this and sure enough my first DB, issued 1965 in Liverpool reads:

T.91 - 2506. Wt. 37206. 30,000. 4/62. W. & S. Ltd. 397967m.

The second one, issued 1973, also in Liverpool has no such blurb.

What does it all mean …. ? :sweat:

Graham the pipe
30th April 2018, 09:44
Thanks for the 'congrats' Roger and yes it does remind one that you're no longer a teenager looking to earn those stripes. Glad this 'D' scussion has caused a few to look at, probably, something that hasn't seen daylight for many moons.

Not sure what it all 'means' Bob but you can ask Alfie what it's all 'about'.

BobClay
30th April 2018, 12:12
Not sure what it all 'means' Bob but you can ask Alfie what it's all 'about'.

I would, but my Cilla Black impersonation is likely to get me arrested for making loud screeching noises. :sweat: (*))

lakercapt
30th April 2018, 14:25
My first discharge book was issued in North Sheilds in 1953 on January 28th. I was charged 2/6 for it. The #R5 (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=R5) ****3 bears no relation to anything and as each shipping office was issued the books in batches there is no corelation to when the number for any other book was issued except from the same office.

Graham the pipe
30th April 2018, 20:30
Somehow Bob your 'personal impression' of the Cavern Club's cloakroom attendant {May she rest in eternal} doesn't exactly get me in the mood for Dan Singh, Gin Slingh or any other Phlucking Gin.

Must say I don't remember paying out half a crown for mine four years later Lakercapt but 'there you go' it was a few deck aids ago. Do remember writing a cheque for £14 exactly for Masters in August '67 though.

One 'last word' as I'm 'here'. My original stitch in this thread was not to suggest that any form of coded, or otherwise, personal information was contained in one's DB number; simply the spooky coincidence that my marital year and day of the month was 'there' ~ be it jumbled and thereby disguised ~ eleven years prior to the event. OK so the month wasn't there but to conclude with the conclusion from my all time favourite comedy film, "Nobody's perfect".

Barrie Youde
30th April 2018, 21:39
The former cloakroom attendant at The Cavern earned her place in the hall of greats on the occasion when a Glen boat (Glengarry?) returned from the Far East having received a particularly rough political reception from Chairman Mao. There were numerous terms of imprisonment in Shanghai at the time.

On return to London for Glengarry, however, it is amply recorded that the owners, showing their appreciation to the crew, organised an evening reception at a West-End night-club. The hat-check girl performed, introducing her act with, "I understand that tonight we have some boys in from the Glengarry?" - Whereupon she launched into "What's it all about, Alfie?"

A magical moment, it must have been!

tsell
30th April 2018, 23:21
March 1947...

Apropos of nothing contained herein, two thirteen-year-old Cardiff lads walked three miles to the Capitol Cinema in the city centre.
It was snowing heavily, but my mate, Tommy Mitchell and myself didn't wear overcoats, they were for cissies. It was a Thursday and we had mitched school to see a cowboy film.
We came out at four o'clock and were surprised to see deep snow, which came up over our knees. It was still snowing, but much heavier than when we went in.
Having left the warmth of the cinema, we realise that it is cold out here as we trundle towards our homes. We also realise that there is very little traffic and the trams aren't running.
The snow became deeper as we fought our way through it and it was a very dark six o'clock before we finally arrived at our homes. I won't mention here what our parents said...

What I didn't know, however - how could I? - a little girl was being born up the road in West Yorkshire, at the very moment we left the cinema.

Twenty-five years later, almost to the day, a group of men were shown to their table in a hotel in Auckland by the maitre d', an attractive, blonde-haired young woman. I ignored the ribald comments, reserved only for attractive, blonde-haired young women. She smiled at me. Then smiled at each of the other five, who had only whispered their ribald comments among themselves.

I began to frequent that dining room with a mate, who knew what I was up to. However, I was getting nowhere with the object of my desire, in spite of my incredibly stunning good looks, until one day, after a particularly long lunch, we passed the lounge room on our way out and there she was, sat by the window - knitting!!

It was her day off and she was knitting something for a girlfriend's sprog. Now, it may seem sneaky, but I got rid of my mate and began a conversation by telling her about my mother's and my sister's skill at this knitting business. It worked but it was another two weeks before she would go out with me, but meanwhile mum and sis had brought me up to date on this arty farty stuff with a couple of needles. It worked!

September 2018

It's Sylvia's and my 46th Anniversary!

Taff

mary75
1st May 2018, 17:09
A lovely story, Taff. Thanks. Trust you've settled into your new home.

Graham the pipe
1st May 2018, 19:42
Your getting down to the 'knitty gritty' was just a little different. Did you do something different for your 'purl' anniversary perchance Taff?

Little did you and your lovely Sylvia realise you have given the lovely SN Mary a 'plot' for her next novel.

Happy XLVIII when the time comes.

tsell
1st May 2018, 22:40
A lovely story, Taff. Thanks. Trust you've settled into your new home.

Mary, thanks love... of all my adventures over the years, that was the most memorable. Don't tell anyone, but Sylvia taught me how to do a few lines of knitting, but after a while, I wormed my way out of that pastime. Mind you, I was a dab hand with palm-needle-sailmakers when I was at sea!

Permission granted for use as your next plot, as Graham has suggested... although perhaps I might write it up in the Tusitala thread?

Still trying to find things I packed away where they would be easy to find!

We hope you have recovered and are well, best regards,

Taff

tsell
1st May 2018, 22:55
Your getting down to the 'knitty gritty' was just a little different. Did you do something different for your 'purl' anniversary perchance Taff?

Little did you and your lovely Sylvia realise you have given the lovely SN Mary a 'plot' for her next novel.

Happy XLVIII when the time comes.

G'day from Oz, Graham... yep, there was 'something different' for each anniversary!

I can hear Mary's writer's mind ticking over from here.(Scribe)

XLVIII... thanks for your optimism, mate!!

All the best,(Thumb)

Taff

tugger
2nd May 2018, 02:50
Hi All
Haven't been here for a while. My discharge book was given to me at the Vindicatrix sea school in 49 in sequential order along with about twenty six other lads.
I also have my fathers discharge book from the first world war, just a number 934622, hard cover with a wraparound flap, and in far better condition than mine.
Cheers Des

Graham the pipe
2nd May 2018, 14:00
Great to see some O {for Original or Old} SNers coming out of the woodwork ~ said in jest and in Norway intended to Dist end, Sowff end or Off end ~ revealing, as in this instance from 2006 x 15 'Tugger'. {Thanks Des. A photo of your Dad's 'D', here on SN with some personal details, would generate considerable interest I'm sure}.

IAN M
2nd May 2018, 16:02
I've put a picture showing my Discharge Book entries in My Gallery.

Graham the pipe
2nd May 2018, 18:35
Thanks for the post Ian. Two years of wartime sea service and the medals to prove. Well done that man. I'm too polite to ask how 'young' you are but you must be a nonagenarian

IAN M
2nd May 2018, 19:45
Thanks for the post Ian. Two years of wartime sea service and the medals to prove. Well done that man. I'm too polite to ask how 'young' you are but you must be a nonagenarian

Thanks, Graham. I turned 93 last week.

Graham the pipe
2nd May 2018, 20:10
https://rlv.zcache.co.uk/funny_93rd_birthday_customise_labrador_retriever_c ard-rf349ccdad5264e7bbe62277ccd3471a5_xvuat_8byvr_540. jpg

Sorry I missed the post {STILL} 'Young Man'.

IAN M
2nd May 2018, 23:41
https://rlv.zcache.co.uk/funny_93rd_birthday_customise_labrador_retriever_c ard-rf349ccdad5264e7bbe62277ccd3471a5_xvuat_8byvr_540. jpg

Sorry I missed the post {STILL} 'Young Man'.

Thanks, Graham.

I still feel young until I try to rise from a chair.

Have you read any of my books?

Incidentally, I smoke a pipe.

Dave McGouldrick
3rd May 2018, 11:48
Thanks, Graham.

This could be interesting re pipe smoking as an aid to longevity.
I started on Daru (along with the 3/M and 2/M) in Montreal in 1971.
Still hanging on.
I suppose it might be churlish to say that the pipe smoke keeps away other people, so no infections are caught.(Smoke)

FYRB
3rd May 2018, 23:55
Still remember my number R848170 and don’t need to refer to it even after all this time. Served time for J & J Denholm on Dunkyle, Inverewe (up to date of sale), Fidentia and Spey Bridge.

Graham the pipe
4th May 2018, 07:34
Thanks, Graham.

Sorry for the delay in replying Ian.

Top of a bright sunshine Friday to you and yours. No problem for sights today.

Getting up, in my case, is horizontal to vertical so I'd gladly swap but that's a long story which have no intention of going into on here.

In answer to your question "no I haven't" but the good news {I hope} is that if you give me the damage, including postage, I'll paypal you and give you my address for sending ~ and I AM serious, OK?

I gave up only because I could have the satisfaction of telling one of my consultant surgeons ~ who was a bombastic, obnoxious piece of excrement ~ that I had no intention of 'taking orders' from the likes of him and that I had given up already. {Friday 20th March 2012, having 'commenced' '58}.

Have a Condor Original, flake ~ none of this modern 'ready rubbed' green packet rubbish** ~ 'puff' for me.

Cheers, for now GGG.

** Sincerely hope that's not your 'chosen'?

John S Martin
4th May 2018, 08:17
I don't even have to search out my discharge book(s) issued in 1966 & 1973 - in Liverpool - to try and work out if there is any coincidental relationship with the numbers. Stuck in the memory bank permanently for some reason. Can never remember my National Security number, passport number, bank sort codes or account numbers, car number plate etc. but my Dis.R No. I can quote without thinking.

PaulH-3OSR
4th May 2018, 09:35
Hello GGG, JDW etc. Greetings, R688311 here, ex EDL R/O with many fond memories of the ‘coast’ still intact as I approach the big 80! Good to hear so many of us are still around. Must be that bracing air we breathed when up the creeks.
Regards to all,
Paul.

cullercoats
4th May 2018, 10:18
I opened a wine bottle in the 80's I think. I noticed the number on the cork was an R followed by six numbers. It was quite close to my discharge book number. I embarked on a campaign to find a wine cork with the same number as my discharge book. I gave up after ten years having never found the right number. Although I was unsuccessful it was not a fruitless search. I have never enjoyed a failed project quite as much as this one.

IAN M
4th May 2018, 11:45
Sorry for the delay in replying Ian.

Top of a bright sunshine Friday to you and yours. No problem for sights today.

Getting up, in my case, is horizontal to vertical so I'd gladly swap but that's a long story which have no intention of going into on here.

In answer to your question "no I haven't" but the good news {I hope} is that if you give me the damage, including postage, I'll paypal you and give you my address for sending ~ and I AM serious, OK?

I gave up only because I could have the satisfaction of telling one of my consultant surgeons ~ who was a bombastic, obnoxious piece of excrement ~ that I had no intention of 'taking orders' from the likes of him and that I had given up already. {Friday 20th March 2012, having 'commenced' '58}.

Have a Condor Original, flake ~ none of this modern 'ready rubbed' green packet rubbish** ~ 'puff' for me.

Cheers, for now GGG.

** Sincerely hope that's not your 'chosen'?

Sorry to hear you have health problems too Graham. Mine are too numerous to mention and I get around the house by holding on to furniture.

As for my books, they are available on Amazon. Punch IAN M MALCOLM BOOKS into Google and you'll see them all. LIFE ABOARD A WARTIME LIBERTY SHIP is out of print, but second-hand copies are available.

There is also the option of audio books which can be seen on my website and ordered directly from me.

Best Wishes

Ian

Puffin's skipper
4th May 2018, 12:56
I agree the UK driving Licence number gives your date of birth, and says how MANY licences have been issued (exchanged, renewed etc) under that number (the last digit) But the Blue discharge book cant possibly also do that.. My R76**** number was almost the same as my mates book number who also joined with me at Goole in 1961 but our birthdays are totally different and neither date bears ANY number as used in either of our old Dis. books. ??

Graham the pipe
4th May 2018, 18:58
Hi 'All'.

Rather than endeavouring ~ and failing ~ to respond to each and every comment, may I thank each and every one of you and may the debate continue.

Who knows, with the 74th anniversary of 'D' Day just over a month away we EDs {Weeds?} may set a 'VC' {Views and Comments} day of our own.

Have a great weekend 'All'.

CAPT.BOB
4th May 2018, 21:24
Snap on the Golden Wedding,Struck out on the Dis A number

John Rogers
4th May 2018, 23:06
Congrats on your age Ian, you must be one of the oldest members.

IAN M
5th May 2018, 00:34
Congrats on your age Ian, you must be one of the oldest members.

Thanks, John. Perhaps the oldest.

Ian

tugger
5th May 2018, 02:40
Great to see some O {for Original or Old} SNers coming out of the woodwork ~ said in jest and in Norway intended to Dist end, Sowff end or Off end ~ revealing, as in this instance from 2006 x 15 'Tugger'. {Thanks Des. A photo of your Dad's 'D', here on SN with some personal details, would generate considerable interest I'm sure}.

Hi Graham.
I will have to get to know the ins and outs off putting things on site.
He has only two discharges one for HMS Eagle 17.12.17 and one for HMS Crescent 6.1.1918, odd but it is a Merchant shipping act book 1894, I remember him talking about being on Q ships but there is nothing in his discharge book, maybe they didn't stamp it for them.

Michael Quin-Conroy
5th May 2018, 12:27
Hi fellow ex seafarers,

My discharge Book number is R581468 and the first entry was 6th August 1952 upon signing on as 4th Engineer of the mv Laverock a GSNC coaster running to Hamburg.

I wonder if any ex GSNC guys remember me? Would love to hear from them.

Michael Quin-Conroy.

MMYuen
6th May 2018, 00:07
Interesting conversation. I have a German discharge book from 1979 when I started sailing No. 41337. I also have a Panamanian one as well as one from the Marshall Islands. But I sail here in the US and we don't have discharge books anymore. All we get are discharge stubs from the USCG with very lengthy numbers. I'll have to look at the numbers. Are you issued licenses for officers? Might be interesting to look at those numbers too.

teb
6th May 2018, 03:23
Thanks, John. Perhaps the oldest.

Ian

I think probably you are--- but I am catching up 91and 9mths.Teb R295172

Graham the pipe
6th May 2018, 06:59
Interesting to note that the two 'out in the open', age contenders are both ROs.

Thought that stood for 'Radio Officer' now know it means 'Redoubtable Olden'.

Will wait to hear, now, from someone who can say ~ "I was the, or one of the, ROs on her in **** and am now the ripe old age of *** years and ** months. Watch out Vera Lynn I'm catching you up".

Loptap
6th May 2018, 15:39
Welcome back GTP you have been noticeable by your absence. R651368, WoodendJD is one of those numbers engraved in the brain somewhere followed by my South African ID number and my ticket number 99000. Why these three numbers particlarly I know not as i have to keep birthday dates and appointments on my phone. Strange.......

Can't speak for the discharge book - but is your South African ID not also based on your date of birth? Mine is YYMMDD5xxxyyz - the '5xxx' is a 'male' serial number (anything from 5000-9999; with female serial numbers being 0001-4999); 'yy' shows 'population group' and citizenship and 'z' is a check digit...
...at least, that is what I understood?
Not quoted my actual SA ID - I too have used it for too many passwords in too many places.

My Discharge Book is R855130.

Nestling in the back is an "Account of Wages' for my first trip - signed on 19/1/1968 for £12 0s 0d/month and signed off 10/6/1968; earnings £57 4s 0d, Stores & Canteen £58 9s 11d - so had to pay £1 5s 11d to get off the ship!

jimthehat
6th May 2018, 22:51
Hi fellow ex seafarers,

My discharge Book number is R581468 and the first entry was 6th August 1952 upon signing on as 4th Engineer of the mv Laverock a GSNC coaster running to Hamburg.

I wonder if any ex GSNC guys remember me? Would love to hear from them.

Michael Quin-Conroy.

You must have been just ahead of me in the queue in Dock street,

raybnz
7th May 2018, 03:30
My one was issued in Liverpool 1964. Number R822063

Dave McGouldrick
7th May 2018, 09:03
Nestling in the back is an "Account of Wages' for my first trip - signed on 19/1/1968 for £12 0s 0d/month and signed off 10/6/1968; earnings £57 4s 0d, Stores & Canteen £58 9s 11d - so had to pay £1 5s 11d to get off the ship!

Sounds like it was a grand trip. My best was doing 7 - 8 months mainly on US East coast in early 70s and paid off with just under £20. (I'm told I had a great time).

tugger
9th May 2018, 01:15
Hi Graham.
I have had another look at my fathers discharge book and in the first page as i said two RN ships, one HMS Eagle a carrier I think was sunk in world war two. I never looked beyond the first page , but in the second page he has two VG's but no name for a ship, could be it was one of the Q ships he said he sailed on, maybe no name for security?
Tugger

Graham the pipe
9th May 2018, 09:52
Hi Tugger.

Great, if I may have the cheek to say so, that you are active after 12 years and that your dear Dad ~ may he continue to rest in eternal peace ~ is the sole reason for your reincarnation. I'm sure he's looking down, with interest, to see what fascinating facts will be forthcoming on this 'Discharge' topic.

tugger
10th May 2018, 02:37
Hi Graham.
Went back to NZ for five years, then came back to Aus, bit of a mistake moving over to NZ; but the fires and drought was giving the wife the Abadan's.
One thing down here in Cooma near the Southern Alps she wont be getting that feeling ha ha.
Cheer Tugger

Graham the pipe
10th May 2018, 06:37
Hi Graham.
Went back to NZ for five years, then came back to Aus, bit of a mistake moving over to NZ; but the fires and drought was giving the wife the Abadan's.
One thing down here in Cooma near the Southern Alps she wont be getting that feeling ha ha.
Cheer Tugger

Top of a Soggy, Surrey AM to you Tugger.

Glad Abadans now a Snowy Mountain Betterun.

Just think you have, now, the entire world at your command through your typing fingers, or finger in my case. Wonder what your Dad would have thought about that?

Cheers, for now. GGG

Donald McGhee
19th May 2018, 23:18
March 1947...

Apropos of nothing contained herein, two thirteen-year-old Cardiff lads walked three miles to the Capitol Cinema in the city centre.
It was snowing heavily, but my mate, Tommy Mitchell and myself didn't wear overcoats, they were for cissies. It was a Thursday and we had mitched school to see a cowboy film.
We came out at four o'clock and were surprised to see deep snow, which came up over our knees. It was still snowing, but much heavier than when we went in.
Having left the warmth of the cinema, we realise that it is cold out here as we trundle towards our homes. We also realise that there is very little traffic and the trams aren't running.
The snow became deeper as we fought our way through it and it was a very dark six o'clock before we finally arrived at our homes. I won't mention here what our parents said...

What I didn't know, however - how could I? - a little girl was being born up the road in West Yorkshire, at the very moment we left the cinema.

Twenty-five years later, almost to the day, a group of men were shown to their table in a hotel in Auckland by the maitre d', an attractive, blonde-haired young woman. I ignored the ribald comments, reserved only for attractive, blonde-haired young women. She smiled at me. Then smiled at each of the other five, who had only whispered their ribald comments among themselves.

I began to frequent that dining room with a mate, who knew what I was up to. However, I was getting nowhere with the object of my desire, in spite of my incredibly stunning good looks, until one day, after a particularly long lunch, we passed the lounge room on our way out and there she was, sat by the window - knitting!!

It was her day off and she was knitting something for a girlfriend's sprog. Now, it may seem sneaky, but I got rid of my mate and began a conversation by telling her about my mother's and my sister's skill at this knitting business. It worked but it was another two weeks before she would go out with me, but meanwhile mum and sis had brought me up to date on this arty farty stuff with a couple of needles. It worked!

September 2018

It's Sylvia's and my 46th Anniversary!

Taff
You were pretty slow off the mark Taff! I asked my Kiwi lass to marry me about two weeks after we met! You only got round to taking yours out on a date! She said yes, but I had to “return” to UK first to enable me to return again, legally! 48 years together now, so, like you, a damn good choice.
There’s obviously more to the story, but it is a long, complicated tale.
Slainte, love your story.

tsell
20th May 2018, 02:39
You were pretty slow off the mark Taff! I asked my Kiwi lass to marry me about two weeks after we met! You only got round to taking yours out on a date! She said yes, but I had to “return” to UK first to enable me to return again, legally! 48 years together now, so, like you, a damn good choice.
There’s obviously more to the story, but it is a long, complicated tale.
Slainte, love your story.

G'day from Oz, Don! I hope the old girl is still in good shape and still working up a good head of steam - Waimarie, that is! I'm sure your lass at home is well and keeping you in check.
It's good to see you back and posting regularly, mate. Maybe you've got a tale or two for us in our Tusitala thread, about life on the river?

Are there still catches of whitebait being made there, we used to get plenty in the early days on the river. (Thumb)

All the best,

Taff

Donald McGhee
20th May 2018, 03:56
G'day from Oz, Don! I hope the old girl is still in good shape and still working up a good head of steam - Waimarie, that is! I'm sure your lass at home is well and keeping you in check.
It's good to see you back and posting regularly, mate. Maybe you've got a tale or two for us in our Tusitala thread, about life on the river?

Are there still catches of whitebait being made there, we used to get plenty in the early days on the river. (Thumb)

All the best,

Taff

Not so much whitebait these days mate, river has been pretty well hammered over the last few years, lots of silt from landslips/bank collapses due to heavy rain and logging.
The pity is that no one seems to care or do anything about it! Hope all with you and yours in Aus.
Slainte

Puffin's skipper
20th May 2018, 21:39
I never did quite work out why 'Good' really meant 'bad'. Mid sixties I got a 'Good' off a Palm boat and had to go onto Norsk's as Matross cos I couldn't then get a deck berth on UK ships (via pool jobs except for Yellow Perils etc.).... It was only given me for going adrift a couple of times in Takoradi & Tema and not bad enough for a DR so WHY did anything except VG actually mean bad? A 'Good' was in reality worse than a VNC. (Ouch)

Graham the pipe
21st May 2018, 13:52
I never did quite work out why 'Good' really meant 'bad'. Mid sixties I got a 'Good' off a Palm boat and had to go onto Norsk's as Matross cos I couldn't then get a deck berth on UK ships (via pool jobs except for Yellow Perils etc.).... It was only given me for going adrift a couple of times in Takoradi & Tema and not bad enough for a DR so WHY did anything except VG actually mean bad? A 'Good' was in reality worse than a VNC. (Ouch)

Would refer you to the late, great and sadly missed SN member for his incredible 'Knowledge Nautical', Stan Mayes.

www.benjidog.co.uk/recollections/Stan%20Mayes5.html

tugger
22nd May 2018, 01:49
Hi Graham. I forgot when posting my Dad's number to post my own.
R510868 got it in 49.
Cheers Tugger

Johnny Walker
22nd May 2018, 08:34
#62 (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=62) The endorsements in the old discharge books as described in Benjidog are correct but omit to mention one other discharge that can be requested if you did not want a Good or DR in your book which was
Endorsement Not Required. I requested this when paying off the Orcades in about 1970 I was told that I was receiving a double DR I argued to no avail that there was nothing wrong with my ability (the Chief Steward agreed) My conduct was terrible due to being adrift 3 times, the third time for 10 days. The Union guy said to ask for an ENR and to argue the finer points before a pool panel.

Graham the pipe
22nd May 2018, 14:49
R510868 got it in 49.
Cheers Tugger

Seems the 'Forties' ~ roaring or otherwise ~ are prevalent in this thread, which started with my this year 'bull'.

You got your 'number' in '49. Donald McGhee has 'clocked' 48 years and his pal Taff and Sylvia celebrate their 46th this September. Oh yes, nearly forgot, look at the time you made your above post.

Cheers, for now.

GGG

Hugh MacLean
22nd May 2018, 19:59
Hi Graham.
I have had another look at my fathers discharge book and in the first page as i said two RN ships, one HMS Eagle a carrier I think was sunk in world war two. I never looked beyond the first page , but in the second page he has two VG's but no name for a ship, could be it was one of the Q ships he said he sailed on, maybe no name for security?
Tugger

Hi Tugger,
You mention your dad's Dis. A in post 26 as 934622. The page you have attached showing the number is a bit blurred but the second last digit doesn't look like a 2. Can you confirm the number for me please?
I think we know each other from other places :)

Regards
Hugh

tsell
23rd May 2018, 01:02
R510868 got it in 49.
Cheers Tugger

Not far apart, Des, your's R51 - mine R55...

Taff

tsell
23rd May 2018, 02:00
Seems the 'Forties' ~ roaring or otherwise ~ are prevalent in this thread, which started with my this year 'bull'.

You got your 'number' in '49. Donald McGhee has 'clocked' 48 years and his pal Taff and Sylvia celebrate their 46th this September. Oh yes, nearly forgot, look at the time you made your above post.

Cheers, for now.

GGG

... so, when all's said and done, us old sailors are just a bunch of old farts, eh? Well, Graham, we could buy an old tramp and do it all over again. Might need a bunch of young nurses to sail with us to look after our 'health' though! (==D)(POP)(Pint)(Wave)

Taff

Graham the pipe
23rd May 2018, 07:21
... so, when all's said and done, us old sailors are just a bunch of old farts, eh? Well, Graham, we could buy an old tramp and do it all over again. Might need a bunch of young nurses to sail with us to look after our 'health' though! (==D)(POP)(Pint)(Wave)

Taff

Top of a not so sunny, as yesterday, Surrey morning to you Taff.

Like the idea of buying an old tramp; my first two voyages were on war time built 'Park' boats, they weren't tramps but weren't exactly the latest in air conditioned luxury. Check the SN gallery and you'll find Cambray {in Welsh Wales}, Cabano and Egori (air conditioned '57 luxury}.

There's buffet and boofe {B unch O f O ld F arts E h}. I'll drink to that; call it 'the wind of change' that affects you, me anus.

Not sure of your present Lat Long but wherever have a great Wednesday.

GGG(Pint)

tugger
23rd May 2018, 07:48
Hi Hugh.
Yes Hugh; nice to hear from you. The number is 934682 It's on the inside page. First entry is 17-12-17.
Tugger

tsell
23rd May 2018, 11:40
Top of a not so sunny, as yesterday, Surrey morning to you Taff.

Like the idea of buying an old tramp; my first two voyages were on war time built 'Park' boats, they weren't tramps but weren't exactly the latest in air conditioned luxury. Check the SN gallery and you'll find Cambray {in Welsh Wales}, Cabano and Egori (air conditioned '57 luxury}.

There's buffet and boofe {B unch O f O ld F arts E h}. I'll drink to that; call it 'the wind of change' that affects you, me anus.

Not sure of your present Lat Long but wherever have a great Wednesday.

GGG(Pint)

Hi Graham, we're on the Gold Coast, a little south of Brisbane. Been freezing all day here, it's only been 23C today! We had a long hot summer and anything below 25C is cool.
A few short weeks ago, we were hoping for cooler temps, but now would like it to be up around 28C for comfort.

We are not all high rise and canals - a few shots of the Gold Coast, if you decide to come here, Graham:

https://www.destinationgoldcoast.com/

Better have your heart pills handy:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=gold+coast+australia+topless+on+the+beach&rlz=1C1PRFE_enAU646AU646&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjhtJDYypvbAhWFa7wKHc77DogQsAQIMg&biw=780&bih=364

GGGLUG(Pint)

Taff

Graham the pipe
23rd May 2018, 12:48
Hi Graham, we're on the Gold Coast, a little south of Brisbane. Been freezing all day here, it's only been 23C today! We had a long hot summer and anything below 25C is cool.
A few short weeks ago, we were hoping for cooler temps, but now would like it to be up around 28C for comfort.

We are not all high rise and canals - a few shots of the Gold Coast, if you decide to come here, Graham:

https://www.destinationgoldcoast.com/

Better have your heart pills handy:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=gold+coast+australia+topless+on+the+beach&rlz=1C1PRFE_enAU646AU646&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjhtJDYypvbAhWFa7wKHc77DogQsAQIMg&biw=780&bih=364

GGGLUG(Pint)

Taff

Hi, again, Taff.

Sure beats the Gold Coast I used to know, later to become Ghana.

19 degrees at the moment ~ a few degrees warmer than my earlier post.

Thanks for the tip about heart pills because if

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/XPgBlJmrxEE/hqdefault.jpg

are all there to 'greet me' I'll need 'em to boost the via Niagara.

Like the 'Lug' on the abbreviated signature for Great Granddad Graham. Here's a link to some 'history' of, now Sunny, Caterham on the Hill.

https://www.caterham-independent.co.uk/.../2579-the-bourne-society-and-local-histor...

Happy Glugging.

GGG (Pint)

Hugh MacLean
23rd May 2018, 18:55
Hi Hugh.
Yes Hugh; nice to hear from you. The number is 934682 It's on the inside page. First entry is 17-12-17.
Tugger

Hi Tugger,

I may have mentioned this before but just in case you do not have it. I have found the medal file for him and he was a member of the Mercantile Marine Reserve.

During 1916-1920 the Mercantile Marine Reserve (MMR) was used to engage officers and seamen on board vessels employed on government service. The crews of vessels commissioned as auxiliaries by the Admiralty were signed on under a T.124 agreement, whereby they agreed to serve in any commissioned vessel, but retained aspects of their civilian pay and benefits.

They were much aligned with the Royal Naval Reserve and served in all types of ships including troopships, armed merchant cruisers etc. Your mention of Q ships and the like would hold water as he would be employed effectively by the Royal Navy. Sadly there appears to be little in the way of surviving records for these men.

Regards
Hugh

appbob
11th June 2018, 18:04
My number is R 536228 issued 26 July 1950. Nothing too exciting, apart from a note re Efficiency as a Lifeboatman. Read the Important Notice on Page 2, frightening. Bob Appleton

Graham the pipe
11th June 2018, 18:55
My number is R 536228 issued 26 July 1950. Nothing too exciting, apart from a note re Efficiency as a Lifeboatman. Read the Important Notice on Page 2, frightening. Bob Appleton

Sorry no 'exciting' news in your 'number' appbob. Your 68th anniversary next month and my 50th ~ of 'sentencing' ~ which was what prompted me opening this thread.

Should there be a photo of your book? Can't see one on my screen.

Kindest to you and yours. GGG

knighta
12th June 2018, 01:30
In 1998, I demonstrated my incompetence as a skier by colliding with a tree. I was in a coma for 4 days. When I re-surfaced, the Doctor, checking to see if I was brain-damaged, asked me "Who are you?" I replied "R852482". At a very primitive level of consciousness, that Discharge Book number is central to one's identity.
When I told that story in a pub, most of the men in the bar rattled off their service number.

Graham the pipe
12th June 2018, 08:57
In 1998, I demonstrated my incompetence as a skier by colliding with a tree. I was in a coma for 4 days. When I re-surfaced, the Doctor, checking to see if I was brain-damaged, asked me "Who are you?" I replied "R852482". At a very primitive level of consciousness, that Discharge Book number is central to one's identity.
When I told that story in a pub, most of the men in the bar rattled off their service number.

A very good, slightly chilly, UK morning to you knighta.

Yes, the 'D' number does lodge in the 'D' for Doctor, Dormant and Downhill (skiing).

Read your CV and see you include Palm Line amongst your 'companies'. Presume EDs, my old outfit, were just about still going then?

Know your hometown rather well. Had an extremely memorable 'alongside' there Christmas in '63 involving inspecting the Canadian Fleet (seriously); Christmas lunch at the magnificent house of the chief surgeon of your hospital, which was on the left hand side, up a hill set well back from the road with others of a similar calibre as neighbours. Could continue but won't as it reminds me of my ludicrous, suicidal 'placement' of a Christmas tree on our topmast.

Cheers for now and 'Happy, tree free, skidaddling'.

GGG