Thermopylae of 1868

peterhamb
29th August 2005, 15:12
Hello everyone,

I am a new member interested in square rigged ships of the late 19th century and early 20th century, particularly the clipper ship THERMOPYLAE of 1868. I am the President of the Thermopylae Historical Society Inc. based in Melbourne. Any un-publisized info on the ship would be great.

I am also a maritime artist in the process of starting a series on Australian wool clippers. Anyone can have a browse at my works at:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~peterhamb/

Cheers,

Pete

R58484956
29th August 2005, 17:07
Welcome Peter to the site, I am sure that you will enjoy it.

Santos
29th August 2005, 20:44
Welcome to the site Peter, I too love square riggers and their history especially the big ones Pamir, Passat etc. Hope you can post some pics of Thermopylae, love to see them.

Regards

Chris.

japottinger
29th August 2005, 21:16
See my attempt a painting of the said vessel

peterhamb
30th August 2005, 07:21
Thanks fellas's, it's great to be aboard. What I have seen so far, there are some very interesting stuff in this site! I have posted a picture of Thermopylae in the gallery. You may want to have a look? It is from my private collection.

beryte
30th August 2005, 08:28
Good to have you on board Peter, great picture of the Thermopylae and what an excellant website you have, look forward to seeing more of your work. I am also an artist - mainly in watercolours (www.tonys-marine-pictures.com) and there are a few others also on this site also. Tony Westmore.

michael james
30th August 2005, 09:48
Welcome to SN Peter,
I agree with above accolades, great picture.
I hope you enjoy all aspect of this site and look forward to seeing more of your work.

Doug Rogers
31st August 2005, 02:41
Welcome aboard, enjoy the site and look forward to your contributions.

Jan Hendrik
14th September 2005, 12:30
Peter, hereby another picture of this vessel.

copyright: Hempel A/S Copenhagen

artist: John Gardner
From an original painting for the 1985 calendar on Clipper Ships.

Jan

peterhamb
14th September 2005, 13:03
Hello Jan and fellow 'shippies'

And I thought I had seen every painting of Thermopylae! Are these calenders available somewhere? Would love to know!

Cheers,

Pete

Jan Hendrik
14th September 2005, 13:09
Peter, I may have one left for you, I sent you an email.

I have many pictures of windjammers and the like, all from oil paintings which are all exclusive, you won't see these anywhere else in the world.

I am about to post more in the Gallery, just have to get the time to scan or photograph them first.
Jan

Kenneth Morley
20th February 2006, 20:34
Hi, I am ex PAMIR 1944/45 if I can be of assistance I am here Regards Kenneth R.

cojo46
10th August 2009, 13:58
Hi
New member with a possible family link to the Thermopylae.

Whilst researching my family tree, a distant relation informed me that one of our ancestors , Robert Duncan b.1851 d.1925, was a sailor on board this clipper. Is there any crew listings that I can check to see if it is true.
All the way through his shore life, he was listed as a sailor or a deputy harbour master in and around Alloa, Scotland.

Anybody any sources ?

Ta

Col

billyboy
10th August 2009, 23:15
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer