Saying Hello

MyDad$ship1
12th May 2018, 17:58
My Dad was on the MV Daleby from 1945 to 1952, I think he may of sailed from Hartlepool. His name was Alan Barber and he worked in the galley, Chef or Cook (not sure)

I know he sailed to New Brunswick a number of times, as he made friends with a family there, who in later years he went back to meet. He also sailed to China, and got stuck there on one sailing.
If any one can tell me more about the Daleby and particularly when when Dad was with her, please let me know
Denise.

trotterdotpom
12th May 2018, 20:45
Daleby was owned by a company called Ropners - there ships were registered in West Hartlepool. There are some photos in the SN Gallery. If you write Daleby in the gallery search engine you will see them. There is an old SS Daleby and a new MV Daleby . Probably the one you want is Ss Daleby.

Welcome to SN.

John T

IJS
14th May 2018, 20:02
Hi new to this forum.
I flew out to Ascension ready to join BEIII.
Myself a PO EW and LS EW Bogey Knight, we arrived by helicopter and embarked, a generous greeting onboard and shown to our single cabins. This was our transport South. The main engines threw a bearing and we continued on Bow Thrusters, at 3 knots, whilst onboard other visitors and crew attempted to repair the problem. I remember the Bosun was a chap called Alex who was an ex whaling bod. The SNO of the NP was a two and a half, Engineer Officer, Brian R..........!?
Life onboard was up reasonably up Market and the food was good.
Been looking for pictures and some history.

cueball44
14th May 2018, 20:42
Hi new to this forum.
I flew out to Ascension ready to join BEIII.
Myself a PO EW and LS EW Bogey Knight, we arrived by helicopter and embarked, a generous greeting onboard and shown to our single cabins. This was our transport South. The main engines threw a bearing and we continued on Bow Thrusters, at 3 knots, whilst onboard other visitors and crew attempted to repair the problem. I remember the Bosun was a chap called Alex who was an ex whaling bod. The SNO of the NP was a two and a half, Engineer Officer, Brian R..........!?
Life onboard was up reasonably up Market and the food was good.
Been looking for pictures and some history.Go to 'special purpose vessels' in the Gallery and type in BRITISH ENTERPRISE 3. You will find the ship there. (Thumb)

Roger Griffiths
14th May 2018, 21:37
My Dad was on the MV Daleby from 1945 to 1952, I think he may of sailed from Hartlepool. His name was Alan Barber and he worked in the galley, Chef or Cook (not sure)

I know he sailed to New Brunswick a number of times, as he made friends with a family there, who in later years he went back to meet. He also sailed to China, and got stuck there on one sailing.
If any one can tell me more about the Daleby and particularly when when Dad was with her, please let me know
Denise.
Hello and welcome,
He could not have sailed on a British registered vessel named DALEBY between 1945 and 1950.
SS DALEBY was sunk in 1942 and the next ship with the name DALEBY was not built until 1950.
Ropners also owned a vessel name DANEBY from 1937 until 1952.
Could you give us your Dads full name, together with Date and place of birth.
It is likely his Merchant Navy records are with the National Archives at Kew. These should contain all the vessels he served on, together with dates and places of engagement and discharge.

regards
Roger