Hello

mikewin
21st May 2018, 10:59
My great grandfather Josiah Windows, born in Bristol in 1846 is recorded in the 1881 census in Cardiff docks on board a ship called "Forerunner"; he is shown as the Master; there are 3 other seamen listed, a mate an AB and an OS. I don't know whether this was the entire crew.

What I would like to know is what kind of ship the "Forerunner" was.

I suspect it was a small coaster, but I don't know how many crew such a ship would carry. Does anyone know the answer? Or can anyone tell me how I might find out? I would really appreciate some help with this.

Mike Windows

tsell
21st May 2018, 11:29
My great grandfather Josiah Windows, born in Bristol in 1846 is recorded in the 1881 census in Cardiff docks on board a ship called "Forerunner"; he is shown as the Master; there are 3 other seamen listed, a mate an AB and an OS. I don't know whether this was the entire crew.

I suspect it was a small coaster, but I don't know how many crew such a ship would carry. Does anyone know the answer? Or can anyone tell me how I might find out? I would really appreciate some help with this.

Mike Windows

G'day from Oz, Mike and welcome to this great site.
You may find what you are looking for in the following, which has seven pages of ships names in Cardiff in 1881, good luck:

http://www.angelfire.com/de/BobSanders/81Intro.html

I am ex-Cardiff, but a little bit after your great granddad's time!! (Thumb)

Cheers,

Taff

Roger Griffiths
21st May 2018, 11:40
Hello and welcome,
http://www.mun.ca/mha/1881/crews1881.php

http://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/viewimages?name=forerunner&year=1882&steamsail=Sail&submit=Enter

regards
Roger

tsell
21st May 2018, 12:20

Mike Windows

Mike, I came across this entry in ancestry.com and if it's the same Josiah, it seems that he was a Bargeman:

[[Re: Lockyers from Bristol England Posted on: 03 Mar 2003, by Paul Wick
Surnames > Lockyer

Angela. Jane Catherine married Josiah Windows in 1872. He was a bargeman. She was born in Old Artillery ,Whitechapel London 5th May 1845. Her father seems to have been William Canaford Lockyer, about whom litt... ]]

You would know this, of course, if it's the right Josiah and your greatgranny! The posters most likely are your relatives.

If there were only three or four in the crew, then it likely was a barge or a small tug.

Regards,

Taff

billyboy
24th May 2018, 06:39
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great new site has to offer.