Motors for your ships

CarolineKimathi
6th June 2018, 14:24
Which company do you use for your vessels? Especially for the urgent motors?

david freeman
6th June 2018, 18:35

I am straining on the bus bars, is this motor electric or a thermodynamic motor. Pass me the loo paper? Please I am excited.

John Cassels
6th June 2018, 20:29

Lidl or if they don't have them , Aldi

Mad Landsman
6th June 2018, 21:06
Lidl or if they don't have them , Aldi

No, In Nairobi that would have to be Tuskys.

Engine Serang
6th June 2018, 23:25
Sweet Caroline can you reword your query and some of our gentlemen will try to assist you. If necessary I'll throw my cloak over the puddle.

Stephen J. Card
6th June 2018, 23:51
If necessary I'll throw my cloak over the puddle.

Don't make your puddle where everyone else might walk. Using your own cloak? Instead keep some paper handy.

CarolineKimathi
7th June 2018, 08:34
Oh, I should have asked. The company you use for the supply of urgent electric motors for your vessels. I have been using EMI Motors (https://www.emimotors.co.uk/). Quite effective with their quotation and delivery.
What do you think about them?

Engine Serang
7th June 2018, 08:57
Don't make your puddle where everyone else might walk. Using your own cloak? Instead keep some paper handy.

I had no idea Sir Walter Raleigh was incontinent, did Queen Elizabeth the First realise the mud puddle was not all it seemed?
Did Sir Walter's ship, the Ark Royal meet MARPOL Annex IV?

Caroline please ignore the above paragraph and let us know what you mean by Urgent Motors. As Engine Serang I know little about motors other than cleaning and painting them.

Mad Landsman
7th June 2018, 09:36
Here is a clue for what Caroline might be talking about:

https://www.emimotors.co.uk/

(Note that EMI is not the defunct Electrical & Music Industries.)

Varley
7th June 2018, 11:35
Perhaps ML but if that's an axial fan my *****'s a kipper.

If she is serious and not simply marketing she might give us an idea of where her ships is and what motor is required and I am sure some constructive recommendations would be forthcoming.

david freeman
7th June 2018, 14:36
Here is a clue for what Caroline might be talking about:

https://www.emimotors.co.uk/

(Note that EMI is not the defunct Electrical & Music Industries.)
great what a site a marketing ploy, no technical details, the picture is of a group of induction motors driving pumps of a fluid nature?? [ shore side plant] What is missing is the data, ac synchronous, induction, dc motors =series, shunt, compound, generators with various power and frequency ratings 50/60HZ, and voltages/amperages, with solid state control starting panels and field controls. Are these people 2nd hand salesmen, manufactures of integrity, and can they supply a ship builder or yacht builder, or a reputable shipyard, with a 24 hour service, of either to service a large main propulsion motor drive, large pumps and alternators/generators with a service or and replacement contract??? Please come out of the wood work, or are you flying a few kites to see who will bite.
Remember the average ships engineer/electrician needs to understand what service you offer and worldwide guarantee you can offer? Mid ocean you are the expert on the end of a phone link, the ships staff are your fitters with the voltmeter and screwdrivers, not simple persons but an honest person earning a living, and what is more, maybe saving the ship from disaster, and life threatening scenario's.
I ask are you talking turkey, or out of one backside????

Engine Serang
7th June 2018, 15:05
I'm closing this thread down.

Duncan112
7th June 2018, 15:46
https://www.linkedin.com/in/caroline-kimathi/ seems as David Freeman suggests - a marketing ploy

Biggles Wader
7th June 2018, 16:17
Perhaps a formal complaint to EMI motors would be in order asking whether they are aware and approve of their employee spamming the internet like this?

Mad Landsman
7th June 2018, 19:36
I wonder what the status of her UK work visa is, assuming she has one.

Engine Serang
7th June 2018, 22:03
I'm closing this thread down.

One last thought:-

It's a tough old world out here and any marketing ploy to grab attention is worth it but you must be sure you are not alienating any prospective customers.
Full marks Caroline, now come clean and present your portfolio of motors. But be aware that this Website is populated by cranky old men who haven't bought an electric motor in 20 years. Show us your shunt wound dc motors capable of cargo duties loading copra into one of our Troutbank Class Vessels at the fine port of Lae.

Varley
8th June 2018, 12:27
Cranky old men! I'll have you know I bought (on behalf of owners) and Ex de motor from Eric Insch in 2010. We didn't engage in badinage over the 'amperage' in the specification as we knew the proper term, 'current'.

(Bugger, I suppose that does make me cranky. But I would sooner by cranky and correct than uncranky and wrong).

Engine Serang
8th June 2018, 12:42
The word "Amperage" gives me the sweats, along with volts, joules, ergs? I think, flux density and Flemings bl00dy Right Hand Rule. Not to be mentioned in polite company.

Varley
8th June 2018, 13:10
It is not that the terms are impolite (the exceptions being ampage and amperage) it is that, as does the scantest mention of electrically reset gravity arm escapements, they bore.

david freeman
8th June 2018, 18:50
I beg your indulgence, I am retired and cranky: I enjoy relating to realities, and honest services.