SA Oranje passenger list from 1969

1jules
8th June 2018, 16:45
Hi,

I am hoping that the collective knowledge of folks can help. I am looking for a passenger list for the sailing of the SA ORANJE from Cape Town to Southampton for late June/early July 1969. I appreciate this is very specific, but I am caught up (potentially) in the Windrush problem as I came into the UK on my Mother's passport and now nearly 50 years later have to prove legal entry into the UK. If anyone has a copy of this list or knows of one, it would be very useful as you can imagine.

I have tried Safmarine who are looking into it, but they do not know what has happened to their records at this moment in time (possibly Copenhagen).

Any ideas however whacky would be gratefully received

eddyw
8th June 2018, 18:26
Passenger lists post 1960 not kept by National Archives. They recommend contacting shipping line. The other possibility is SA authorities/port of embarkation who may have kept lists of passengers departing.

1jules
8th June 2018, 20:30
Many thanks. I shall try the port authorities on Monday as apart from the actual operations, they are closed for the weekend now.

lazyjohn
9th June 2018, 08:07
See the Union Castle website. Its probably your best chance.

Chris Isaac
9th June 2018, 14:55
I own the Union-Castle web site.
I do not have any passenger lists.
As Union-Castle no longer exists I can only suggest you try Cape Town departures or Southampton arrivals.
Sorry I cannot be of more help.
Chris

PS Just had a thought, there is a facebook page for passengers sailing from Cape Town to Southampton try that: https://www.facebook.com/groups/unioncastle/

1jules
10th June 2018, 01:20
Lazyjohn, thanks for the suggestion,

Chris, thanks. I shall look at the facebook page tomorrow. Soton arrivals, I assume you means the port offices rather than Immigration. I shall try on Monday morning when they re-open.

whatever I find out (positive or negative), I shall post here just so that others can have some pointers if they ever need to. Hopefully it will be for relaxed research, rather than something more urgent!!

Old Se Dog
7th September 2018, 16:36
Lazyjohn, thanks for the suggestion,

Chris, thanks. I shall look at the facebook page tomorrow. Soton arrivals, I assume you means the port offices rather than Immigration. I shall try on Monday morning when they re-open.

whatever I find out (positive or negative), I shall post here just so that others can have some pointers if they ever need to. Hopefully it will be for relaxed research, rather than something more urgent!!

hello - i run the group on union castle - cape to southampton - we had a lady asking for the exact same passenger list - - however despite extensive research and many many avenues - i could not help