Captain Brian Waters OBE

Purser52
10th June 2018, 19:40
It was with the greatest sadness that I learned yesterday (9 June) of the passing of Captain Brian Waters OBE after an illness bravely borne. I had the great privilege of sailing with Brian twice : once in Black Rover in 1989 and the 2nd time in Olwen in 1995. Those who were also lucky enough to know or sail with him will recall he was one of life's true gentlemen, always ready with sagely advice and a rapier wit that could ease the tension of any situation. I never once saw him annoyed or displaying frustration : he was outwardly at least calmness personified and always good company. He was awarded the OBE for his actions when in command of Gold Rover in filthy weather in the South Atlantic when she lost her rudder and was abandoned by all but essential crew. Brian was justly proud of his commercial background in Blue Funnel. He was also mindful of Merchant Naval heritage generally. I recall the 2nd time we sailed together (I was Senior Purser at the time) he delighted in calling the Chief Officer "Mr Mate". I was lucky enough to remain in contact after he retired and I had left the RFA to join P&O Ferries at Portsmouth. One afternoon he and Mrs Waters (Steph) were taking the afternoon sailing to Le Havre and I happened to be Purser on duty aboard Pride of Le Havre. Having recognised them as they boarded and installed them in the Club Class Lounge, we sailed into the teeth of a Force 11 and first Portsmouth closed behind us, then Le Havre closed and finally Cherbourg closed. At 8pm when we should have arrived in Le Havre, I ensured all passengers without a day cabin were issued with a free of charge cabin for the night they would now have to unexpectedly spend aboard until we could dock in the morning. I was pleased to offer Brian and Steph one of the 2 x Suites on board out of respect. He was delighted and we swung that lamp late into the evening as we rocked and rolled our way steadily between Cherbourg and Le Havre overnight. RIP Sir as you make your final trip : it was my pleasure to know you and my privilege to sail with you.

OLD STRAWBERRY
10th June 2018, 20:39
Sad news indeed. I was privileged to have sailed with Him in Fort Austin 1996, He was CO. Fort Austin was to be my first ship in the RFA since 1963. I re-joined the RFA after the closure of the Naval Base at Portland. So long Captain.

zero
11th June 2018, 12:28
I sailed with him twice once as Chief Officer (Sir Geraint 1982/3 and another as Captain (Sir Geraint 1987). A true gentleman and a good leader of men, always had time to talk to you whatever you were. A splendid fellow may he RIP.

John Rogers
11th June 2018, 15:50
Always nice to read post about a man like Captain Brian Waters, R.I.P.

Graham Wallace
11th June 2018, 17:36
I was first in contact with Brian in 2011 regarding Operation Corporate and BP's involvement in the Falklands campaign.

Amongst other memories he sent me two personal articles he had written for his family, 'Well and truly STUFT' and 'What did you do in the war, dad' ( recollections from 1982), quite fascinating.

Such an interesting lively spirited gentleman, a great loss.

He was 'Agamemnon' in SN

Graham Wallace