Hi from Perth, WA

Glenda
13th June 2018, 11:10
My family emigrated to Western Australia in Jan/Feb 1965, aboard the SS Northern Star. I was eight years old at the time and I can still remember crew members strapping passengers into their bunks as we crossed the Bay of Biscay during a Force 19 gale with broken stabilizers.
Other than this, the rest of the voyage was to me, wonderful. I still have the certificate I received from King Neptune upon crossing the equator. I can also remember the wonderful care my six year old sister received after splitting her head open on a door the day before we arrived in Fremantle.

jg grant
13th June 2018, 12:09
Hello and welcome from New Zealand. Hope you enjoy the site.

Glenda
13th June 2018, 14:53
Thank you

Gerald Jackson
13th June 2018, 15:24
And Bunbury

John Rogers
13th June 2018, 16:51
Hi Glenda,welcome to SN. Where in the UK did you live?. I had friends that lived in Bristol and settled In Perth.

Glenda
14th June 2018, 15:53
I lived in Cliftonville in Kent

John Rogers
14th June 2018, 16:50
I lived in Cliftonville in Kent

Thanks Glenda.(Thumb)

loyalhelper
14th June 2018, 21:16
Hi Glenda, we were living in wa about that time I was working in the gold fields at Mount Magnet we returned to the Uk I finished my apprenticeship off and did a few trips with the British merchant navy, a lot of time around the Aussie coast, there is a cracking heritage centre at Mount Magnet well worth a visit

RHP
15th June 2018, 03:51
My family emigrated to Western Australia in Jan/Feb 1965, aboard the SS Northern Star. I was eight years old at the time and I can still remember crew members strapping passengers into their bunks as we crossed the Bay of Biscay during a Force 19 gale with broken stabilizers.

Aye, they don't make storms like that any more..... (Thumb)

barry john macauley
17th June 2018, 07:52
That was the time they put the lid on the funnel to stop the engineers falling out.