Ships Anchor

B Samulcek
24th June 2018, 15:25
Thank you for the opportunity to join Ships Nostalgia and your forum.
I’ve spent some time discovering history as relates to a 2000 lb. ships anchor located on the grounds of our home.
I found that it was placed there by the builder of the home, and that he was a merchant marine that moved here (Kansas City MO) from living near Newport News NC.
The anchor was manufactured by one of John Roach's companies.

billyboy
25th June 2018, 02:56
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

tiachapman
25th June 2018, 06:43
heave it up

Varley
25th June 2018, 11:53
Just heave (drop, walk out), TC ? How would one heave an anchor down?

tiachapman
25th June 2018, 12:09
once lost one, and the cable

Varley
25th June 2018, 12:30
I have only seen that once and it was in Jurong drydock (so fairly easily retrieved).

A spectacular noise and equally spectacular vertical column of rust shooting out of the spurling pipe.

B Samulcek
25th June 2018, 14:45
This is a stockless annealed steel anchor manufacture by American Foundries, Chester PA.
ASF was one of John Roaches companies, His shipyard made more Iron Ships after the Civil War than any in the world.
Ranier Tillotson built our home in 1956,he moved here (KCMO) to be “as far from the sea as possible.”
Mr. Tillotson was a merchant marine born in 1893.
I’m interested in the history of this anchor.

Wallace Slough
25th June 2018, 15:55
Hello Mr. Samulcek and welcome to Ship's Nostalgia. I too am the owner of an anchor, mine being a stocked 1000 pounder built by Muir & Symon in San Francisco around the turn of the century. The anchor is displayed on my cattle ranch in NW Nevada where we use an anchor as our brand for the cattle. I hope you enjoy Ship's Nostalgia and your anchor. I checked into the history of my anchor and found it difficult to find anything and was told "they're a dime a dozen."

Duncan112
26th June 2018, 15:17
I have only seen that once and it was in Jurong drydock (so fairly easily retrieved).

A spectacular noise and equally spectacular vertical column of rust shooting out of the spurling pipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOYLirV3nzc

OilJiver
26th June 2018, 16:19
once lost one, and the cable

Same same when once at anchor Firth of Clyde with about 60 kts westerly breeze. Second Mate a bit excited when land gaining on vessel. (Soon got job away mind).

Btw TC, your terminology (“heave up”) not in question.