Cap Pilar

lesley McCabe
2nd July 2018, 12:52
hi there, i volunteer at the Nottage Maritime Institute in Wivenhoe and i am putting on an exhibition about the Cap Pilar and the Dry Dock in Wivenhoe this month. i have read all the previous posts on the subject but would love to find out even more. have read Adrian's book and i think it is fascinating. Sadly never saw the wreck before they built the housing estate but it is still talked about in the village.

david freeman
3rd July 2018, 08:41
I am not so sure of my geography in your nick of the woods? However are you not near Portasaid Radio. Station? If so you may wish include the history of portasaid and its roll in radio communication transmissions. [In the commercial world of the British shipping?
You may find it intriguing?

Ron Stringer
3rd July 2018, 09:13
New compass (or new charts) required David.

Wivenhoe (Colchester), Essex on the East Coast of England is over 200 miles from the operating centre of what was Portisheadradio station in Highbridge, near Burnham-on-Sea, Somerset. It involves many, many, hours of tedious driving - even more so today than in the radio station's heyday.

trotterdotpom
3rd July 2018, 13:56

Wivenhoe (Colchester), Essex on the East Coast of England is over 200 miles from the operating centre of what was Portisheadradio station in Highbridge, near Burnham-on-Sea, Somerset. It involves many, many, hours of tedious driving - even more so today than in the radio station's heyday.

"200 miles ... many many miles of tedious driving"? Howay Ron, sounds like you're made of chocolate, Downunder folk drive that far for a pot of beer and a root.

What's the story with Cap Pilar?

John T

Ron Stringer
3rd July 2018, 14:17
John T

You clearly haven't been a driver on the UK's roads recently. We now have so much traffic - a massive increase in car population coupled with a dearth of road building and huge cuts in road maintenance budgets - that such trips now seem more like an endless traffic jam. Enduring solid traffic in all lanes of motorways for many miles on end, with coned off lanes where "repairs" or "improvements" are supposed to be happening (must be using robots because there are no workmen in evidence) is the norm. On a holiday weekend it would be quicker to fly to Hong Kong than to drive from Essex to Somerset.

As for the Cap Pilar have a look here (http://www.wivenhoehistory.org.uk/content/topics/maritime/cap-pilar), Google has much more.

david freeman
3rd July 2018, 17:31

ihave made a balls of it. I need to be a navigator? not a grease monkey, with my finger up my fundamental orifice? I knew I had heard of wivenhoe does it not have a shore radio/tv/ or other communications masts? especially in the 50's 60's.
God bless the product of gear box oil 'Castrol', an amber nectar, as good as Tenents Larger