Pamir

Anne Brooks nee Hargraves
7th June 2009, 02:40
Hi, I'm new at this, so bear with me.
I am rewriting a copy of Pamir Press my late father had.much of the ink is faded making it a long slow process working words out.
One date I have is 6th may 1945. dad was a new lad on the ship.
The Captain was a Mr Champion. I would appeciate any help.

spongebob
7th June 2009, 03:07
Anne, welcome to the site. Click on Forums on the site home page then scroll down to "Tall ships" to find posts relating to "Pamir" and "Cutty Sark and Pamir"
Also Google search for "Cutty Sark & Pamir"[

Kenneth Morley has crew lists from his days on Pamir and may also be able to help you. We are currently in contact with another old crew member Ron Montgomery who may have sailed with your father.

Regards Bob Jenkins

billyboy
7th June 2009, 04:58
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has top offer

bert thompson
7th June 2009, 07:42
Welcome Anne to this great site. Had the great pleasure of seeing the Pamir in full sail
Best wishes
Bert.

R58484956
7th June 2009, 10:20
Greetings Anne and welcome to SN on your first posting. Bon voyage.

K urgess
7th June 2009, 13:00
Welcome aboard Anne.
I see the crew have been helpful already.
Find your way around the ship and have an enjoyable voyage.

gdynia
7th June 2009, 13:08
welcome onboardto SN and enjoy the Voyage

sidsal
7th June 2009, 15:07
Anne: Welcome to this great site.
In 1945 I was an apprentice on the Fort Camosun and we were in Durban loading cement for Colombo. My fellow apprentice Pat Palin and I ran the ship's motor boat and we called alongside the Pamir which was at anchor there. She had sailed from Capetown and taken such a long time that the crew vanished as soon as they got to Durban. The master tried to presuade us to jump ship and join him as crew but being wartime we felt we might be classed as deserters. ( Now I am quite prepared to be corrected and that it was not the Pamir but another sailing ship, as memory fades).
However a fellow HMS Conwat cadet - The Hon Gerald Balfour did sail in her after the war. There was quite a lot of publicity in the press at this titled chap sailing as deckhand on a sailing ship. He eventually beacame Viscount Taprain after his father died and he himslef died 3 or 4 years ago. On the Conway he was considered a bit of a duffer but it was found later that he was dislexic and in his obituary it said that when he was in the House of Lords he read each act with a fine toothcomb and spotted all sorts of mistakes. He did this because of his dislexia. I met him once in Liverpool when he was 3rd Mate in Blue Funnel - you's never guess he was titled - he had gravy stains down his jacket.

benjidog
7th June 2009, 22:47
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will enjoy the site.

spongebob
7th June 2009, 23:17
Just an aside Sidsal but it is to do with NZ's maritime history in a way.
Freezing works Magnate and Blue Star Shipping Co Owner Lord Vesty sent his son and Heir to work on the killing chains in Auckland's Westfield works to learn the ropes and get "blooded"
What an offal start to life when Dad was so rich!

Bob

KIWI
8th June 2009, 04:29
Would suggest you get from your local library the book"THE PAMIR Under The New Zealand Ensign" by Jack Churchouse.Reading this will give you a great background to your fathers time on board.It may even have his picture in it. KIWI

Fergie
8th June 2009, 06:18
Hi Anne

I sailed as an engineer with Union Steamship Co of NZ for a number of years. The Union Co acted as managing agents for the Pamir on behalf of the NZ Govt after she ahd been seized as a war prize in 1941.
She made 5 successful voyages from Wellington to San Francisco and Vancouver, one to Sydney, during the war years, and one to London after the war.
One of the captains on Union Co cargo vessels was Pete Collier. I sailed with him and he told many stories of Pamir when he sailed her home to UK as master.
Yes Des Champion was also a master of Pamir, but I cannot now remember other names.
Pamir was restored to Finnish ownership in November 1948

R396040
8th June 2009, 08:16
I am rewriting a copy of Pamir Press my late father had.much of the ink is faded making it a long slow process working words out.

I remember seeing the Pamir in 1947 in either Wellington or Auckland. I was on tanker British Might so we were on a isolated berth and remember walking along to view the fine old sailing ship. She was there because she was swarming with rats having been carrying grain cargoes. It was a lovely sight to see her on open sea with all sail raised,think the other one we saw in
those days was Passet ?
Stuart Henderson
France

AJWILL
9th June 2009, 20:03

Hello Anne,
i had the unfortunate experience of being on a ship that took a distress signal from the PAMIR. i am enclosing my take on events i hope its not too long to bore you.

WHEN I WAS A LAD OF 16 I GOT A JOB ON AN OLD SHIP THAT LOOKED AS IF IT HAD SEEN BETTER DAYS IT WAS CALLED SS, SUNRISE.WHAT FOLLOWED WAS TO BE THE MOST HAIR RAISING TIME OF MY LIFE. WE SAILED FROM NEWPORT TO FOWEY IN CORNWALL TO LOAD CHINA CLAY TO TAKE TO PORTLAND MAINE NORTH AMERICA AS WE WERE NEARING THE PORTLAND PILOT WAS BROUGHT OUT TO US ON A ROW BOAT WHICH MUST HAVE PEEN PULLED BY ABOUT 10 SEAMEN. When we eventually docked the immigration people came onboard. We all had to go through the captains cabin in front of immigration where all the crew who were all Somalis and West Indians. The only white people on board were the officers and me. Were showing their books I thought it was their log books, but no it was their PASSPORTS. And of course never having been anywhere before, I didn’t have one. SO I was put under ship arrest with a guard with me at all times. After two week a limo came and took me to BOSTON to have a temporary PASSPORT issued.
Then I was able to go ashore, PORTLAND MAINE was just like a cowboy town with wooden pavements and dirt roads. A week later we sailed empty to SAVANNA in GEORGIA. To load SCRAP METAL for LEATH in EDINBOURGH AFTER A FOUR WEEK DOCKYARD STRIKE we sailed for home and the following is a rough account of what we went through. Hurricane Carrie hit us after a few days out.our cargo of scrap metal had shifter and we had a bad list to port,when we were told of the SOS signal from the PAMIR.unfortunatly if we had altered tac to try to get to her we would have turned turtle,and she was out of range.not a very nice feeling.
R.I.P. PAMIR

S.S. SUNRISE 5.000ton GENERAL CARGO
21st SEP 1957
Hurricane Carrie
This article is about the 1957 hurricane; there was also a Tropical Storm Carrie in the 1972 Atlantic hurricane season.
Hurricane Carrie
Category 4 hurricane
Formed September 2, 1957
Dissipated September 24, 1957
Highest winds 155 mph (250 km/h) sustained
Lowest pressure 945 mbar (hap)
Damages Unknown
Fatalities 80 direct
Areas affected Bermuda, Azores
Part of the
1957 Atlantic hurricane season
Hurricane Carrie was a very long-lived storm in the 1957 Atlantic hurricane season and the strongest storm of the season. Carrie lasted for 21 days; making it the fifth longest-lived tropical cyclone ever recorded in the Atlantic; and it was a hurricane continuously for 18 days. While it never made landfall, a German sailing ship sank off the Azores, killing 80 of 86 aboard.
STORM PATH
Carrie was a long-lived Cape Verde-type hurricane that developed off the coast of Africa on September 2. The next day, Carrie strengthens to a tropical storm, and into a hurricane on the 5th.
Well east of the Lesser Antilles and in a low-shear environment, the storm steadily intensified into a strong Category 4 hurricane, reaching its peak of 155 mph (250 km/h) - just under Category 5 strength - on September 8. At that point, Carrie turned northward, and weakened

sheringham
10th June 2009, 23:57
Hi Ann
I also experienced contact with the Pamir on what turned out to be her final voyage. I joined my first ship as N/A on the British Piper at Silley Cox dockyard in Falmouth, February 1957. I dont recall the reason for her being there other than she was moored close to us as was a Norwegian vessel. She was there for about 4 days I think!! The German cadets were all over the place (96 I believe) have their last run ashore before heading towards South America. We had a Second Cook who had served in Germany with the Black Watch and spoke German quite well. This infuriated the seamen on the Norwegian vessel and he and we were called Quislings and a bloody great fight ensued on the dockside with Brits and Germans against the Norwegians. As a new apprentice it was the first time I had ever seen a brawl and I can recall it to this day.
Subsequently I was transfered from the "Piper" in July to the Smoky Hill and proceeded to the Gulf (Kuwait) to load full cargo of crude for La Plata and Montevideo. While returning to the Gulf we were in the South Atlantic when the Pamir which was south of the Azores was overwhelmed by Carrie.
In 2006 we were holidaying in Germany on the Baltic and visited the Passat which is moored and maintained at Travemunde just outside Lubeck. I had a conversation with a retired seaman who was on board to show people around the vessel who had previously sailed on the Pamir and had lost friends and colleagues. It was very moving experience and even after nearly 50 years it is still very emotive..!
Best wished

Ron

Kenneth Morley
11th June 2009, 05:30
Hi Will reply re Pamir, shortly. Kenneth Morley

Anne Brooks nee Hargraves
11th June 2009, 05:41
Thank you all for sharing your stories. The Pamir is coming alive for me more and more. This weekend I am off to the maritime Museum in Wellington to find some of the ships mentioned in the Pamir Press as some of the type is so badly faded I have only a few letters of each name.

Billieboy
11th June 2009, 08:09
I remember watching Pamir and Passat under full sail moving slowly up the Bristol Channel, passing Whitmore Bay on Barry Island in the late sunny afternoon, as they approached the entrance to Barry Docks, with their last cargo of Grain for Ranks' Mill in No. 2 dock. Both vessels had their cargoes condemned, they were unloaded after fumigation and the ships stayed in Barry for some time before they were eventually sold.