Blue Star Line

steve sybenga38
30th June 2009, 16:26
hello my name's Steve Sybenga
i served at sea for almost 50 year A/B . i sailed for a number of year's with Blue Star Line , my first ship with Blue Star was.....Vancouver Star then.....Wellington, Argentina,New Zealand,Ulster,Old New Zealand Star, English Star to name but a few !! would be good to hear from any old ship mate's that remember me. i remember skipper on Argentina and Ulster was "black mac" he was a right b.....d , he insisted on weather side look out's ! he didn't like you talking to passenger's but he wanted you on race night's so the stake's would be higher ! for the winning's ...........

K urgess
30th June 2009, 16:37
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Steve.
Plenty of Blue Star lads in the crew so find your way around the ship and enjoy the voyage.

steve sybenga38
30th June 2009, 17:02
seeing as iv'e just joined does that mean i'm top bunk !

K urgess
30th June 2009, 17:03
Naw. Single occupancy, en suite cabins for all crew on this ship. (Thumb)

R58484956
30th June 2009, 17:09
Greetings Steve and a warm welcome to SN on your first posting. Did you sail with a Captain Stevens? Bon voyage.

bert thompson
30th June 2009, 21:41
Welcome Steve to this great site
Best wishes
Bert.

nautibuoy42
30th June 2009, 22:46
hello my name's Steve Sybenga
i served at sea for almost 50 year A/B . i sailed for a number of year's with Blue Star Line , my first ship with Blue Star was.....Vancouver Star then.....Wellington, Argentina,New Zealand,Ulster,Old New Zealand Star, English Star to name but a few !! would be good to hear from any old ship mate's that remember me. i remember skipper on Argentina and Ulster was "black mac" he was a right b.....d , he insisted on weather side look out's ! he didn't like you talking to passenger's but he wanted you on race night's so the stake's would be higher ! for the winning's ...........

Aye Aye Steve, I notice you sailed under black Mac, I take it you mean Cpt Macniel from Barra, I sailed with him 6 trips in all on the DEVIS, formerly the OAKLAND STAR, he was a hard task master, but a fine seaman. Cheers, Glyn.

billyboy
30th June 2009, 23:49
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

adrianvare
5th September 2009, 00:21
On Wellington Star about 69/70 --10 months trip was mess-man. turned the ABs mess into a bar when we hit the KIWI cost . Bosun was a tall chap with beard , cant remember name

Boseley
6th September 2009, 16:29
Welcome from sunny El Hierro,

I was on the South Africa Star, the whole of 1963, Engineers & Junior Mates Steward. Happy ship but crappy accommodation, good food though.

Bob Sendall

Del Francis
11th September 2009, 15:16
Wecome to a great site. I sailed on the Star boats from '65 to '78. forgotten a hell of a lot of names of the crews I sailed with. Regards Del

steve sybenga38
20th December 2009, 18:30
is that del who sailed with me on the New Zealand star ? you got paid off in Napier, think it was 1969 , we turned back and put you ashore with an injured shoulder. just seen your tag. been away on hols to new Zealand and Aus

steve sybenga38
20th December 2009, 18:54
On Wellington Star about 69/70 --10 months trip was mess-man. turned the ABs mess into a bar when we hit the KIWI cost . Bosun was a tall chap with beard , cant remember name

steve sybenga here , the bosun with a beard your talking about is John Dadd, a great guy, good bosun, good ship mate , i was also on welly star

TonyAllen
21st December 2009, 00:05
I was on the catalina star 1960 and glad to get off her at kg5 my last trip
Regards tony

malololailai
21st December 2009, 03:19
Hello,

Did you ever sail up the Bristol Channel to Avonmouth in the 50s?

Peter in AKL

Del Francis
12th August 2010, 23:07
Yes it was me, 22nd Dec 1972. Spent Crimbo in hospital and came home DBS on the Port Chalmers
Del A Blue Star Cowboy

adrianvare
8th May 2011, 19:39
steve sybenga here , the bosun with a beard your talking about is John Dadd, a great guy, good bosun, good ship mate , i was also on welly star

didnt he end up in kiwi working on the tugs