Alma

Tyke
4th July 2009, 00:42
I am trying to find info on my grandfather William Percy Morley who, according to an 1881 Census, was an apprentice on the Alma docked in Grimsby. The Master was William George Allnutt and there was a Mate, two Able Seaman Fishermen and five other apprentices on board. I know little about shipping and would love to know where I can find out what type of vessel this was,where built etc and where I can get info on apprentice seamen.
Can anyone help?
Thanks in anticipation.

benjidog
4th July 2009, 00:49
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

I hope that some of our members from the Grimsby area will be able to help you. Good luck with your research.

benjidog
4th July 2009, 00:55
Miramar has what may be your ship:
Name: ALMA
Builder: Goteborgs MV
Launch Date: 187
Type: Cargo ship
Location of yard: Gothenburg
Flag: Sweden
Tons: 215
DWT: N/K
Yard No: 203
Length overall: N/K
Country of build: SWE
Beam: N/k

GWB
4th July 2009, 02:03
Welcome aboard from Brisbane I am sure the lads on board wil assit you.

GWB

billyboy
4th July 2009, 02:59
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

bert thompson
4th July 2009, 08:34
Welcome to this great site
Best wishes
Bert.

K urgess
4th July 2009, 13:45
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Tyke.
Having been through the same procedure for my GGF I can say you need to look at the details of the registration district for 1881 and that will be the vessel. This page gives you details of the vessel and having just looked I can tell you that her official number was 19081, she was registered in grimsby, was 45 tons and listed as a "lugger, cod fishing".
With the official number you can get details from either Grimsby or Hull archives of the vessel's history.
You can also go to http://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/searchcombinedcrews.php which is the Canadian archive and put the official number into the page that comes up under that link. Having done that I can say they hold crew lists from 1863 to 1889.
Now it's a matter of how much money you want to spend.
I'm sure someone else in the crew will be along with even more info.
Have an enjoyable voyage.

R58484956
4th July 2009, 19:05
Greetings Tyke and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

gdynia
5th July 2009, 22:35
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Tyke
17th July 2009, 23:01
Thanks all. Sorry for delay in replying. Benjidog, this ship sounds doesn't sound right. As I said, I know nothing about shipping but the Alma you mentioned seems too large for a 10 man crew and I think my GGF was aboard a fishing vessel. Marconi, this one looks more positive. How did you get the info so quickly? I've tried the Newfoundland site and find this a nightmare to negotiate. Do you have any links to the Grimsby/Hull archives or do you have to physically visit these?
Thanks again - you all seem a friendly bunch.
(Thumb)

K urgess
17th July 2009, 23:36
Whenever they filled in a census return for a vessel it was normally done by the Master and lodged at the closest date to the proper census date.
My GGF was 100 miles east of Spurn on the smack Sovereign on census night.
Since the vessels are individual they qualify as registration districts in their own right. You can get the registration districts listed on the Ancestry site and it shows you the front page of the census returns form. This gives some basic details of the vessel.
I found the details by working back from your post.
This link will give some ideas on how to proceed -
http://www.nelincs.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/6BB72BF2-D1E3-4B8C-A3B7-DF8A7A30925A/0/FamilyHistoryFishingArchives.pdf
The Canadian site is easy. Just click on the link I gave and enter the vessel's official number in the space.
It then comes back with the list of dates. After that you have to contact them by email.
This page explains what the code against the date means -
http://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/crewlistforms.php
I know it gets a bit confusing but they're very helpful once you send your request.
Cheers
Kris

Tyke
18th July 2009, 00:14
Excellent. Thanks Kris. I'll stick at it.