Howdy from Houston!

NimitzFan
6th July 2009, 22:38
Houston's the biggest secret in Texas. When most people think of Texas - they think of Dallas (Thank you Larry Hagman!). Houston is seen as a kind of hick oil town. In reality, Houston is the 4th largest city in the country, and the sixth largest metro area. The city is 50 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico. But the port of Houston is the busiest port in the United States in terms of foreign tonnage, second-busiest in the United States in terms of overall tonnage, and tenth-busiest in the world. Houston also has the world's largest medical center complex, and is one of only five US cities to have world-class, year-round resident companies in all four of the major performing arts - the symphony (Houston Symphony Orchestra), opera (Houston Grand Opera), drama (The Alley Theatre) and ballet (Houston Ballet). I could go on - but there is one important feature of Houston I can do without. The weather. We share the same climate as Calcutta, India. The humidity can be brutal - and I'd really prefer to share it with Dallas.

A word about me - I'm a writer and instructor, a former US Naval Officer and a real big history buff. I only recently realized that this forum existed. You'll be seeing more of me.

K urgess
6th July 2009, 22:41
Welcome aboard from northern England.
Houston was always a favourite of mine.
I'm sure you'll fit in the crew well.
Have an enjoyable voyage with us.

non descript
6th July 2009, 23:05
NimitzFan, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and thank you for your first posting; do enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage. (Thumb)

Cutsplice
6th July 2009, 23:12
I have never been to Houston and did not know it was such a large port, I knew it was aport but its tonnage throughput was a surprise to me. So welcome aboard enjoy the voyage, look forward to seeing your posts in the future.

bones140
6th July 2009, 23:16
hi Nimitz. welcome from Wales! I went to Houston several times....Barbours' Cut container terminal mostly but did stay overnight in the holiday inn on north loop west when waiting for a ship!

benjidog
6th July 2009, 23:28
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

Like the username - I visited the National Museum of the Pacific War at Fredericksburg when I was working in Austin a couple of years ago - very impressive. I am sure you are very familiar with it.

billyboy
6th July 2009, 23:31
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

MARINEJOCKY
6th July 2009, 23:52
Hi NimitzFan,

I live in Fort Lauderdale and have spent many days and nights in Houston and the surrounding areas.

I have said numerous times that the Houston Seaman's mission was the best I ever went too and spent some of my youth running around playing (real) football there.

I was on one gas tanker that was going between Venezuela and Houston and then I worked for a company who's ships were going between Houston, New Orleans and the West Coast of Africa. I was based in New Orleans but flew regularly between the two great cities.

My very first time in Houston I flew over from England as a boy to join a ship. The company told me I had a night in down-town Houston so I was looking forward to the biggest steak ever, just like the movies, but when I arrived I found there was a strike by the hotel & resturant workers and the only food available at 10 o'clock at night was a handful of wafers / crackers.

I come over to the marinas in Seabrook once or twice a year and have spent time with friends in Galveston.

So yes, welcome to the site and I totally agree that Houston & Texas is a great place, my wife was born there.

R58484956
7th July 2009, 09:18
Greetings NimitzFan and welcome to SN from the south of England. Bon voyage.

John Cassels
7th July 2009, 09:40
Welcome onboard.

I too am a an ardent admirer of Adm Nimitz so look forward to your postings.

bert thompson
7th July 2009, 09:47
Welcome to this great site. Look forward to hearing more from you
Best wishes
Bert.

James MacDonald
7th July 2009, 16:24
Hi Nimitz, I was in Newport News shipyard when the Nimitz was getting built. I was 3/off on the Naess Talisman ,it was Feb 1974. It took us 47 days from Port Talbot to Norfolk Rds. aye swing the lamp I hear. Bienvenido

salvina
7th July 2009, 16:42
Welcome from Cyprus and enjoy the trip. I had many good runs ashore in Houston in the early 60s. "Ramirez Place" being one of the names that sticks in the memory.

Billieboy
7th July 2009, 16:46
Hello Nimitz, from the flat bit of Europe; First time I was in Houston was in '62 when JFK was facing down the Bear. We ran through to Panama as fast as we could, (11-12 Kt). Been to Houston many times since, visited the Space Centre and USS Texas, lovely engines and a handy set of guns. There are lots of people here who know your port and city, have a great time.

p.s. Been to Piney Point too, long, long time ago!

TIM HUDSON
7th July 2009, 17:16
Your city of Houston well known to many Brit seafarers Nimitzfan. In the 90's paid many visits there on LPG ships berthing up near Galena Park and Pasadena. Mall and local restraunts/bars there abouts much frequented and loved.! Occasional rare visit downtown to Galleria Mall etc. For me too experienced a lengthly lay-up in the canal near to that fabulous seamans club. Wonderful place that is....every crew member got shoe box of christmas presents made up by the club voluantary workers if in port around that time. One of best Seamans Clubs around world I think. Some of crew on one visit made it to San Jacinto Park for 150 years of Texas party and in flew Willie Nelson in chopper. For seafarer they dont come an awful lot better than Houston after long sea passage !
tim

Billieboy
7th July 2009, 19:13
The Seamans Club is pretty good, but it's nothing like Hooters!

gdynia
7th July 2009, 19:56
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

MARINEJOCKY
7th July 2009, 20:11
Although I can not remember his name I think an electrician with Houlders got divorced while on board the ship. He paid off in Houston and asked the company for a few days stop over there. He met a local girl and ended up moving there and starting up a pool company.

I met him years later when he came onboard the ship for beer cans for his collection. Maybe somebody from Houlders remembers him.

The voluanteers were what made the mission for me, they would come in and invite complete strangers to their homes. What a difference that made to us being away so long in those days.

Alistair Macnab
7th July 2009, 20:41
Hi Nimitz!

I'm from Houston too! I'm ex-British Merchant Navy, Bank Line and have lived in Houston since 1969. Just retired in 2007 and now an Adjunct Instructor at the University of Houston Downtown. I can see we have a lot in common!

Kind regards and welcome to the best site in the world!

Alistair Macnab

MervynHutton
8th July 2009, 23:25
Hi Nimitz,

I lived in Houston (Kingwood) from 1996 to 1999 and commuted every day to downtown. I have some very good memories, some not so good too, but thats probably true of everywhere on earth. Best wishes to the old town and hope you enjoy SN