navyguy
11th July 2009, 15:37
Hello,

I have only just found this site as I am searching for any information concerning a WWII ship called HMS Boxer.

For myself I am ex Royal Navy and served all through the 60s and 70s. Over the past 4 years I have been involved with re-enacting (Navy of course) but up here in the North West there have not been many opportunities to get involved as there are for those who live down South (I originate from Gosport anyway). So I have started up my own group called LANRA (Lancs Area Naval Re-enacting Association http://www.lanra.co.uk) and now have a few members as well as getting more and more well known. Such is so that we have now been invited to rather a lot of event, mainly for 40s re-enacting, as we seem to go down well. As there are far too many Admirals (usually in their 20s!!) and Captains and the like we have restricted our selves to being lowly ratings (well killicks in fact) with the correct uniforms for 1900s, 40s, 50s and later dated events. We can do now Royal Navy; US Navy and even Russian (well Arctic Convoys were practically a part of WW11 RN). Being ratings we get noticed more at events as so few re-enact this and thus often get singled out for a lot of questions, etc, from why the seven creases to my Dad was on such a such a ship, etc.

As such it is great finding this site as a lot of older questions I cannot answer such as one I am asking now and that is does anyone know anything about HMS Boxer during the War as the driver of the Vintage bus at the recent Severn Valley event is interested as his late Dad served aboard her. So far I cannot seem to find very much so any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Alan

K urgess
11th July 2009, 15:41
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Alan.
There was a landing craft called BOXER built by Harland & Wolff in 1943
http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/148985
If that's not the one then I'm sure the resident RN/Warship Gurus in the crew will be able to help.
Have a good voyage.

navyguy
11th July 2009, 15:43
WOW that was quick as I have only just posted my first message!!

Efficiency is the hallmark of the Navy so many thanks and I'll check that site out straight away.

K urgess
11th July 2009, 15:45
Speed and efficiency from the Merchant Navy in this case but who's counting. [=P]
I hope the information is the right one but if not just put Boxer in the search box and take your pick. (Thumb)

David Williams
11th July 2009, 15:58
Hi Navy Guy.
A Friend of mine some time on HMS Boxer,
and I seem to remember him telling me that
she was converted from a LCT to some of
Radio Directional Finder,he had photo's of
her covered in some sort of ariel masts.

Dave Williams(R583900)

David Williams
11th July 2009, 16:03
Hi Navy Guy.
Its me again.If you click HMS Boxer into
Google,you will find a lot of info on this ship.

Dave Williams (R583900)

Tmac1720
11th July 2009, 16:09
If the "Boxer" in question is one of ours (H&W) here are some details

Yard number 1155 Landing Ship Tank Built by Harland and Wolff Belfast,launched 12th December 1942 delivered 1st May 1943 5596 gross tons. Sister ships HMS Thruster yard number 1153 & HMS Bruiser yard number 1154.

R58484956
11th July 2009, 16:40
Greetings Navyguy and welcome to SN on your first posting. Bon voyage.

benjidog
11th July 2009, 17:50
Welcome from Lancashire – I hope you will enjoy the site.

A four minute response time for a query here is not bad but it is not a record! :)

barrow-boy
11th July 2009, 20:33
Hi Navyguy,
Is this the HMS Boxer

bert thompson
11th July 2009, 22:04
Welcome Alan to this great site
Best wishes
Bert.