Landlocked !!

KsSnark
11th July 2009, 16:21
The new guy: I live in the center of Kansas and am hopelessly landlocked. 70% of my 'nautical' experience has been driving an 11ft plastic sailboat around on small, calm Kansas lakes. On the other hand, my wife comes from a Kriegsmarine family. Last month we were in the islands on vacation and saw three items which led us to your site. At Anguilla, we saw a couple waterspouts and saw the wreck of the Pamead in Road Bay. At Junk's Hole Bay in Anguilla, we found a drifting life preserver marked "Varalonga". On St. Martin, we saw an unknown vessel, possibly a dredger, aground in Marigot Bay. It was while I was trying to track down the last item that I found you guys. (I still don't know what the vessel at Marigot is.)
You've got a fascinating site. I'll probably visit a lot but, I'm sorry, won't have much to contribute.

K urgess
11th July 2009, 16:22
Welcome aboard from northern England.
There are a few landlocked crew aboard this ship so join in if you feel like it and have an enjoyable voyage.

non descript
11th July 2009, 16:34
KsSnark, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and thank you for your first and interesting posting; you will find a whole clutch of kindred land-locked spirits on here, so do not feel alone, and do enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings, regardless. Bon Voyage. (Thumb)

R58484956
11th July 2009, 16:37
Greetings KsSnark and welcome to SN .
From a member in the south of England. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

NoMoss
11th July 2009, 17:27
Greetings and welcome from someone at the opposite extreme - I live on the Isle of Wight - surrounded by water and ten minutes to the beach(walking).

TIM HUDSON
11th July 2009, 17:35
Hi KsSnark
According to Miramar there was a german built (Neuenfeld) small cargo ship 635 DWT built 1955 and last named Pamead. She was 'deleted' in 2002. Same one ??
tim (right on North Sea coast !)

benjidog
11th July 2009, 17:53
Welcome from Lancashire – I hope you will enjoy the site

KsSnark
11th July 2009, 18:09
Hi KsSnark
According to Miramar there was a german built (Neuenfeld) small cargo ship 635 DWT built 1955 and last named Pamead. She was 'deleted' in 2002. Same one ??
tim (right on North Sea coast !)
I'm sure it's the same one. I found old photos on the internet. When I was at the wreck, I was able to read the former names on the bow and they match.
Apparently she was grounded by hurricane Lenny in 1999. Thanks much!

Boseley
11th July 2009, 19:37
Hello KsSnark,

You have already contributed. Welcome and greetings from the sunny Canary Islands,

Bob Sendall

bert thompson
11th July 2009, 22:07
Welcome to this great site
Best wishes
Bert.

Keltic Star
12th July 2009, 05:53
Welcome from North of the border KsSnark, you will find out that being landlocked is no handicap on this site. Enjoy and don't be afraid to participate.

Dickyboy
12th July 2009, 06:41
The new guy: I live in the center of Kansas and am hopelessly landlocked. 70% of my 'nautical' experience has been driving an 11ft plastic sailboat around on small, calm Kansas lakes. On the other hand, my wife comes from a Kriegsmarine family. Last month we were in the islands on vacation and saw three items which led us to your site. At Anguilla, we saw a couple waterspouts and saw the wreck of the Pamead in Road Bay. At Junk's Hole Bay in Anguilla, we found a drifting life preserver marked "Varalonga". On St. Martin, we saw an unknown vessel, possibly a dredger, aground in Marigot Bay. It was while I was trying to track down the last item that I found you guys. (I still don't know what the vessel at Marigot is.)
You've got a fascinating site. I'll probably visit a lot but, I'm sorry, won't have much to contribute.
Welcome aboard KsSnark
Have a good potter around the site and have a kook at anything you like. There's an amazing amount of Nautical history here as well as current events. Hope you tell your wife's family about us here at Ships Nostalgia, they might be interested as well.
Cheers!
Dickyboy