Say Hello and G'day !

Oz.
13th September 2005, 07:07
(Pint) Just a quick hello to all on this great site! I am new here so a quick intro may be of interest to some, although my profile is fairly comprehensive.
Australian by birth , but sailed on British ships, Mobil Tankers and Larrinanga of Liverpool, all between 1964 and 1968. Returned home after a stint at South Shields Marine College. ( never forget that Brown Ale!!.)
Sailed on Australian coast with Associated Steamships, Smit Lloyd supply Boats, Sedco Rigs, The Lighthouse Service and then on to M.V. Straitsman. Those with long memories will recall Straitsman rolling over in the Yarra one Saturday morning, with loss of two lives and the Second Engineer trapped in an air pocket below . That was me. Then returned to the Lighthouse ships, Cape Pillar and Cape Moreton for 2 years and my last hurrah was again on Sedco oil rigs. Married then so worked ashore in all sorts of boring jobs until recently . I now travel to the USA and drive big rigs all over the country there. Will settle one day maybe. Have never lost interest in my first love, ships and the sea!.This is a great site !! Well done to all responsible!

billyboy
13th September 2005, 08:30
welcom aboard Robin. Great crew here, they very knowledgable too! Happy you escaped from the air pocket. Stay lucky mate.

thunderd
13th September 2005, 08:31
Hi Robin and a warm welcome to the site. That's a pretty interesting resume you have there and hopefully you'll have lots of interesting stories to tell. I hope you enjoy the site.

R58484956
13th September 2005, 10:02
Welcome to the site Robin, you are now amongst the sea loving fraternity, enjoy the site.

Polyglory
13th September 2005, 14:40
A hearty welcome Robin and enjoy the site as we all do. (*))

trotterdotpom
13th September 2005, 18:13
Welcome Robin. Glad you're here to tell the tale, must have been an horrific experience. I remember the incident - was the 'Straitsman' formerly 'John Burke' or am I getting mixed up?

John T.

Doug Rogers
14th September 2005, 07:59
G'day Robin, welcome aboard and enjoy the site and the membership.

Oz.
14th September 2005, 08:36
No trotterdotpom, Straitsman was built in Maryborough Qld, and was always Straitsman. Built by Rob't Houfe to service King Island and Tasmania. Later bought by Tasmanian Transport Commission and sold on to NZ interests. Now running in Pacific Islands with another new owner.