Grimsby Trawlers

PhilF
16th July 2009, 16:57
Hi All, started my time at Grimsby College, got PMG Special certificate, got the results at 2pm sailed 2am next day on the Lord Rowallan. Spent most of the time with Pete Pulfrey on the Northern Isles, until the time of The St Romanus, Ross Kennedy and Notts County, did one mor trip and went deep sea. Went Greek/Liberian flags and had a great time, my first ship MV Joy, sailed Poland to Shanghai, thought I was going to get my pension before we got there, but good times all the same.

K urgess
16th July 2009, 17:00
Welcome aboard from northern East Yorkshire, Phil.
You'll find a few crew aboard this ship who sailed on trawlers from Grimsby. Even a few who were sparkies.
Find your way around and enjoy the trip.

PhilF
16th July 2009, 17:08
Many thanks, I see we still have the Humber between us, our favourite saying was we dug the river to keep you lot out.

R58484956
16th July 2009, 17:14
Greetings Phil and welcome to SN on your first posting. Bon voyage.

gdynia
16th July 2009, 23:06
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

gledy
17th July 2009, 22:36
Hi Phil. From Gledy I Was Trawling Gy, Taught By Alf Hodgson, And Tea,pot Lil Atfishing, College. After Cod War. Went Merchant 1st S
Ship, Mv Miranda Trip The Gaul Went Down

benjidog
18th July 2009, 00:39
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

PhilF
20th July 2009, 15:23
Hi Phil. From Gledy I Was Trawling Gy, Taught By Alf Hodgson, And Tea,pot Lil Atfishing, College. After Cod War. Went Merchant 1st S
Ship, Mv Miranda Trip The Gaul Went Down

Hi Gledy, Remember Alf, down Victoria Street, we were mostly at Nuns Corner, but used to go sailing in the dock down there, had a couple of lifeboats at the back of which is now Stagecoach, infact think one of them is the one on the roundabout at then end of Victoria Street. I can see now why there was always so much water in the bottom.

billyboy
21st July 2009, 03:46
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

Grimsby
21st July 2009, 04:16
Hi All, started my time at Grimsby College, got PMG Special certificate, got the results at 2pm sailed 2am next day on the Lord Rowallan. Spent most of the time with Pete Pulfrey on the Northern Isles, until the time of The St Romanus, Ross Kennedy and Notts County, did one mor trip and went deep sea. Went Greek/Liberian flags and had a great time, my first ship MV Joy, sailed Poland to Shanghai, thought I was going to get my pension before we got there, but good times all the same.

hi phil you mentioned northern isles did my first trip deckie learner on her after sailing gally boy on northern chief theskippers name was booth this was in 1955 they called him bear island booth or the chat haddock king i liked northerns they were good ships i liked the old ones northern spray and northern pride. joined the merch in 57 until 69 paid off in wellington nz off the gothic been nz ever since cheers allan webster /grimsby/

PhilF
21st July 2009, 14:26
hi phil you mentioned northern isles did my first trip deckie learner on her after sailing gally boy on northern chief theskippers name was booth this was in 1955 they called him bear island booth or the chat haddock king i liked northerns they were good ships i liked the old ones northern spray and northern pride. joined the merch in 57 until 69 paid off in wellington nz off the gothic been nz ever since cheers allan webster /grimsby/

Hi Allan, did 13 months on The Northern Isles with Peter Pulfrey, finished about 68-69 when they started sinking. Went Greek/Liberian had some great times, even though I felt much safer on the trawlers. Filled in at various times on Northern Queen, Northern Eagle, Northern Gem, the oldest I went on, remember had a walkway round the front of the bridge skipper was Phil Macarthy. Think I relieved a David Williams w/o sadly passed away now. cant remember many of the names at all, did my learner trip on Northern Chief with skipper Roy Kurz and W/o Wally Pougher from Louth.Cheers Phil