Calling all 'Stag Line' crew!

buddy123
23rd July 2009, 20:31
I just wanted to say hello to everyone that may have sailed with my dad Captain Rudolph John Freeman. I recognise a couple of names on here-it's been a long time!! He was Master of the Photinia mainly but also The Gloxinia and other ships owned by Stag Line, North Shields. Dad sadly died 19 years ago 2 months before his first grandchild was born. For those of you who might remember the 'Captain's daughter' back in the 60's!! I'd be so pleased to hear from you. With very best wishes, Marise.

non descript
23rd July 2009, 21:33
Marise, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and thank you for your first and moving posting; although I am sorry it is tinged with sadness. Hopefully you will get some good feed-back and news. In the meantime do enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage. (Thumb)

ps this link will be of interest to you: https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/search.php?searchid=370616

K urgess
23rd July 2009, 21:36
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Marise.
Quite a few Silver Line aboard the ship who may remember.
Find your way around and get to know the crew.
Have a good voyage.

Bigmo
24th July 2009, 07:59
Sailed with Capt.Freeman August to November 1968, April to July 1969 on the Photinia as Ch. Officer. A gentleman, sorry to hear he did not get to see grandchildren.

Bigmo.

WilliamH
24th July 2009, 08:26
Your father was master on the maiden voyage of the Photinia in 1961, from Redheads, South Shields. I was a first trip J/E on that voyage, the voyage was Tyne - Bai Commeau for grain - then back to Tyne. We had two stowaways from South Shields, your father was not pleased, they had got drunk onboard with the crew and woke up at sea.

buddy123
24th July 2009, 14:01
Thanks so much for your reply. I can quite imagine my fathers reaction to the 'spare baggage' from South Shields!! I'm also suprised that they woke up 'at sea' rather than 'in the sea'!! Best wishes, Marise.

buddy123
24th July 2009, 14:03
Many thanks for your reply and kind comments.
Best wishes, Marise.

buddy123
24th July 2009, 14:11
Thank you for your welcoming message. I look forward to hearing from other members.
Best wishes,
Marise.

buddy123
24th July 2009, 14:20
...including yourself obviously!!whoops!
Thank you!

oceantramp
24th July 2009, 16:28
Hi Marise I sailed with your Dad early 1953 when he was Mate of the Linaria. In July 1953 he took over as Captain of the Linaria I did a few trips with him as Captain. I next sailed with him on the Photinia to Loch Fyne in Scotland to carry out cable trails. Returning to the Tyne Photinia went into drydock and I was transferred to the Camellia.
I remember your Mother coming aboard the Linaria I am sorry to hear he passed away before seeing his Grandchild.
Bill

buddy123
24th July 2009, 16:56
Dear Bill,
Thank you so much for replying to my post. It's so good to hear about your memories of my mum and dad. I remember the cable laying times well-Cook Strait,New Zealand took 18mths and also Trinadad and Tobago-I've still got photos from those times and also some cross section samples of cable!
Best wishes,
Marise

R58484956
24th July 2009, 17:30
Belated greetings Marise to SN. Bon voyage.

buddy123
24th July 2009, 19:24
Thank you for your welcome message.
Kind regards,
Marise.

ronnie r
24th July 2009, 20:28
Hi i did my 1st trip as deck boy on the Gloxinia with Capt Freeman ,Tees port to great lakes then trading between Thunder bay ,Halifax ,and Sorel, March to December 71 . I think someone said he was from the Baltic states i.e. Latvia can you confirm this? sorry to hear he passed. regards Ronnie

buddy123
25th July 2009, 09:25
Hello Ronnie,
Thanks for your reply and memories. My father was originally born in Riga, Latvia but naturalised to G.B. back in the late 40's/early 50's. Despite taking all the necessary examinations for his promotion previously in Latvian he then had to resit the entire lot in English-and passed with flying colours!! an incredible acievement. I don't think many of us could contemplate taking any exam in another language we weren't completely fluent in and although I'm biased(being his daughter!) I admired his courage and persistance to achieve his best.
Thanks again for your comments.
Kind regards,
Marise.

billyboy
26th July 2009, 13:35
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

gdynia
27th July 2009, 19:36
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage
sailed with your father several times and met you and your mam as well

buddy123
27th July 2009, 21:17