Hello everyone.

Arundel
26th July 2009, 18:42
Hi.

Ships have always been a passion. My father would take me down to the dockside, and I have fond childhood memories of Caspe Town Docks, the penny ferry, standing next to ships with the deep throb of diesel. One childhood memory was of one of the last coal fired tugs actively operating in Cape Town, knicknamed "Smokey Sue".

Also walking along the beaches of Cape Point and seeing the remains of the Thomas T Tucker (Liberty ship).

Had wanted to join up with Navy in national service, but ended up far from the sea.

Was introduced to late George Young by my father. George Young was a shipping editor for the Cape Times (I Think). Many hilarious stories.

I have tried my hand at ship models (waterline, and at present, also static full hull). I have also had one late friend, who was ships chandler, and another who was skipper on dredgers, and had started on coasters (Coasters being a favourite of mine)

God bless.

Greetings to all.

non descript
26th July 2009, 18:44
Arundel, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and thank you for your first posting. Do enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage. (Thumb)

K urgess
26th July 2009, 19:28
Welcome aboard from northern England.
Find your way around and get to know the crew.
Have a good voyage.

billyboy
26th July 2009, 23:21
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

R58484956
27th July 2009, 09:53
Greetings Arundel and welcome to SN from the south of England. Bon voyage.

salvina
27th July 2009, 10:36
Welcome aboard from a Shetlander marrooned in Cyprus. I spent many happy years in South Africa.

gdynia
27th July 2009, 19:24
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage