Help required for novice!

CLD
28th July 2009, 23:18
Hello all

Just discovered and joined this site - fascinating!

Now the cheeky part - asking for help! I'm trying to research a ship or vessel named 'Margaret & Elizabeth'. All I know about it so far is a relative of mine was working aboard her at the time of the 1861 census. I have no idea where to go to look up information about this ship.

Please could anyone suggest where I would look?

Kind Regards
Clare

K urgess
28th July 2009, 23:34
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Clare.
I'm sure someone around the ship will be along to let you know where to look.
Meanwhile find your way around and get to know the crew.
Have a good voyage.

billyboy
30th July 2009, 08:33
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

non descript
30th July 2009, 09:17
Clare, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and thank you for your posting - there is nothing cheeky in your fair and interesting request, and hopefully someone will be able to help with news on the ship called 'Margaret & Elizabeth', and we very much look forward to your postings with follow up on this project. Bon Voyage. (Thumb)

Doug Shaw
30th July 2009, 10:41
Hi Clare,

Welcome to the forum.

Don't know if this will help, but there was a schooner by the name of "Margaret & Elizabeth" launched at or near Nairn, Scotland on or around 8 April 1856. Mentioned here. (http://www.ambaile.org.uk/gd/newspapers/search_results.jsp?newspaper=0&PrimarySubject=22&startyear=*&endyear=1865&keywords=&StartRow=1175&MaxRows=)

Others might be able to provide details.

A vessel by the same name (perhaps the same ship - a 72-ton ketch) was wrecked while discharging coal at Rhiw Pier (Wales) on 28 August 1912. Mentioned here. (http://www.rhiw.com/y_mor/shipwrecks/shipwrecks_II.htm)

Good luck with the search.

Regards
Doug

R58484956
30th July 2009, 16:59
Greetings Clare and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

melliget
1st August 2009, 07:02
Hi Clare.

There are mentions of Elizabeth & Margaret in the shipping news prior to and after 1861 but nothing specifically for that year. A few years later, there was this report of a possible loss:

The Times, Saturday, Dec 05, 1863
Ship News
CARNARVON, Dec. 3, 5 30 p.m. - There are now six vessels on shore
at Portmelven, and ten more expected, probably before night, unless
the gale moderates, of which there is no sign at present, and many
more will be stranded. The vessels ashore are the Helen, for London;
the Bardsey, for Llanelly; and the Nelson, all three of this port; and
the Elizabeth and Margaret, of Pwllheli, bound for the Clyde, and two
small smacks. Some, if not all, will be total wrecks. No lives lost.

However, I suspect this ship survived as it was listed in the Mercantile Navy List and Maritime Directory For 1867:
http://tinyurl.com/loyo5a

The columns below are:
- Official No
- Name of Ship and Port of Registry
- Commercial Code Signal (if any)
- Registered Tonnage
- Horse Power
- Name and Address of Sole Registered Owner, or of Managing Owner when there are more Owners than One.

21755, Elizabeth and Margaret, Aberystwith, N.H.Q.G., 44, .. , John Williams, Aberystwith
10040, Elizabeth and Margaret, Alloa, .. , 29, .. , Robert Wilson, jun., Stirling
26943, Elizabeth and Margaret, Newcastle, .. , 31, .. , Ralph Robson, St. Anthony's, Newcastle-on-Tyne
4181, Elizabeth and Margaret, Pwllheli, J.B.L.R., 81, .. , Thos. Lloyd, Llannor, Carnarvonshire.

Seems to have been a popular ship name at that time. Isn't it always the way! :)

regards,
Martin