AndyM
15th September 2005, 18:49
As an outsider looking in, i.e. I have never served at sea, I have been interested in ships and shipping for a long time. I used to sit at the top of the hill watching the Sheidhall and Dalmarnock going up and down the Clyde and looking out for anything else of interest (that also included arrivals and departures at Glasgow Airport!).
My Dad served his time in Denny's and then spent some years with Scott's of Bowling working on puffers.
I have small collection of Triang Minic ships both original and the new versions.

R58484956
15th September 2005, 18:54
Welcome to the site Andy, you are now amongst the sea loving fraternity, most of us left it years ago, but our minds are still there.The Shieldhall is alive and kicking based in Southampton, have thought about voluntering to work on it, but only thoughts at the moment.

thunderd
15th September 2005, 22:54
Welcome to the site Andy your interest in ships will be well and truly satisfied here I hope you enjoy it.

Keelson
25th September 2005, 20:55
Andy. I am a Renfrew boy and as you may know, Shieldhall was built by Lobnitz&Co in my home town. In 1953 whilst at High School a pre-school-leaving careers trip took us on a comprehensive tour of the yard from drawing-office to the slipways. We were taken all over a nearly completed ship on the stocks and I subsequently heard that she was to be the Shieldhall with a sunny career ahead of her transporting effluent down river to be dumped somewhere south of Arran. Some 40 years later I heard that the Solent Steam Packet Co was in the process of restoring her for pleasure trips in the Southampton area. I spent a few enjoyable weekends on her slapping fresh paint around the engine-room before ill-health put a stop to my fun. I see her frequently inthe Solent at all the major maritime events there and she is a credit to all her members hard work.

Doug Rogers
26th September 2005, 01:07
Welcome aboard, enjoy the site and the members.

Gulpers
26th September 2005, 09:05
Andy.

I'm originally from Gourock and can remember the excitement as a youngster when my Grandmother, who lived in Cardonald, was chosen to join one of the Pensioners' trips "doon the watter" on either the Shieldhall or the Dalmarnock - can't remember which. She had a grand day out and all the passengers were treated like Royalty!

Keelson
4th October 2005, 21:27
Gulpers. I once met one of Shieldhalls lucky passengers for the day trip doon the watter. He told of a lovely sunny day and all the pleasures of such a trip and his amazement when she went round 180 degrees off Ailsa Craig where the sea was suddenly changed from a pale green to a deep shade of brown as she discharged her 'cargo'!. He assured me there was no odour I'm glad to say. BTW - Gourock is smashin.

ruud
4th October 2005, 21:43
Ahoy Lads,

Just a "sweet memory" for those, loving Gourock, by the way it's a harbour, and there is a ship anchored.(*))

http://img333.imageshack.us/img333/5232/gourock9fz.th.jpg (http://img333.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gourock9fz.jpg)

lakercapt
4th October 2005, 22:07
When our ships were built in Govan we had a sewage system on board and the supervising engineer wanted to test it out before we sailed.
Went to the Shieldhall sewerage works with a request. The man in charge said he has yet to hear a request he had not heard before but we certainly changed that.
Wanted a couple of buckets of c**p which floored him.
Got it and tested the system which worked with good old Glasgow c**p.

Fairfield
4th October 2005, 22:15
Welcome from someone else who used to shipwatch from his bedroom window with a vista from Plantation Quay to Stephen/s.Used to hear SHIELDHALL/S Naval whistle every day for years before I knew who owned it.Was good to see her back in her old haunts in July.Was on board but didn/t manage a sail.

Gulpers
4th October 2005, 23:18
Ruud,

Thanks for the picture of Gourock. It certainly brings back memories and was taken from Lyle Hill, Greenock - probably from the Free French War Memorial sometime in the 60s or 70s.

A couple of points for you.

The black and yellow ship lying in Cardwell Bay is an Admiralty boom defence vessel possibly Salmoor.

In the middle distance, the L shaped pier is the Admiralty Jetty where US Navy personnel used to land from their Depot Ship which was moored in Holy Loch - centre of picture, far distance. There were a series of Depot Ships over the years, for example, USS Proteus, USS Hunley and USS Simon Lake. These ships used to replenish the USN nuclear submarines, which were based in Holy Loch.

Keelson
4th October 2005, 23:31
Gulpers. Everybodys favourite view of a great wee town. I stayed with my Auntie in Caledonia Crescent - the curving road to the left of the photo. My brother and I would spend hours on that pier watching 'hard-hat' divers working there, and I remember once a basking shark come very close inshore in Cardwell Bay. I visited 3 weeks ago - first time in 45 years and took the CalMac ferry across to Dunoon for the day and it was GREAT!.

Keelson
4th October 2005, 23:35
Re -Shieldhall again: A friend of mine who was a fitter in Lobnitz yard in Renfrew recalls that the SS Shieldhall would always give 2 horn blasts when passing her place of birth. Workers would then give '3 cheers for S***e Ship Shieldhall' in typical Clydeside fashion.

Gulpers
5th October 2005, 12:30
Keelson,

It could only happen on Clydeside! No other Race can get as much expression into their articulation of the word "sh1te" as the Scots. (Whaaa)