Hello from Waterford

jethro
3rd August 2009, 18:01
Ex Moss Tankers,Brocks, ETR

John Rogers
3rd August 2009, 18:17
Hello,jehro, I was in Waterford Sunday the 11th of July on a cruise ship,went ashore at 8:30 and found that the pubs were closed so I went back to the ship. Also found out that the the crystal factory had closed down and moved to Croatia or a place like that,how sad.

John.

non descript
3rd August 2009, 18:22
jethro, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and thank you for your first posting. Do enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage. (Thumb)

eriskay
3rd August 2009, 18:27
Have happy memories of visiting Waterford when passing away school holidays on my father's ships for which Waterford was a frequent port. Sad to read from the posting by John Rogers that Waterford Glass is no longer there - we still have many examples of their product that were brought home over the years by my father, beautiful quality and hard to believe yet another famous name disappears abroad.

Coincidentally, met a Waterford lady whilst on holiday a few weeks ago, in the Westen Isles, and gave her a lift to catch a ferry to another island she was visiting up there, and she remarked on the strong similarity between that part of Ireland and our Western Isles in Scotland.

R58484956
3rd August 2009, 18:52
Greetings Jethro and a warm welcome to sN from the south of England. Bon voyage.

Billieboy
3rd August 2009, 19:03
Hello Jethro, welcome aboard from Holland. Were you on Llanishen, Llangorse, or Hamilton? I sailed with Pat Ryan? from Waterford, he was pumpman on Llanishen. Great boat this, no work and plenty of good mates.

Willie

jethro
3rd August 2009, 19:33
Hello Jethro, welcome aboard from Holland. Were you on Llanishen, Llangorse, or Hamilton? I sailed with Pat Ryan? from Waterford, he was pumpman on Llanishen. Great boat this, no work and plenty of good mates.

Willie

I was 3rd Eng Llanishen,lovely time ,only one panic down below great mates too.

jethro
3rd August 2009, 19:36
Have happy memories of visiting Waterford when passing away school holidays on my father's ships for which Waterford was a frequent port. Sad to read from the posting by John Rogers that Waterford Glass is no longer there - we still have many examples of their product that were brought home over the years by my father, beautiful quality and hard to believe yet another famous name disappears abroad.

Coincidentally, met a Waterford lady whilst on holiday a few weeks ago, in the Westen Isles, and gave her a lift to catch a ferry to another island she was visiting up there, and she remarked on the strong similarity between that part of Ireland and our Western Isles in Scotland.

I'm not from here, just living here for a while ,it is sad to see the Glass Factory go. I think it was this asset stripping business,it was tied up with Wedgewood and both have gone down the swanny due to greed.

K urgess
3rd August 2009, 19:37
Welcome aboard from northern England.
Find your way around and get to know the crew.
Enjoy the trip.

jethro
3rd August 2009, 19:38
Hello,jehro, I was in Waterford Sunday the 11th of July on a cruise ship,went ashore at 8:30 and found that the pubs were closed so I went back to the ship. Also found out that the the crystal factory had closed down and moved to Croatia or a place like that,how sad.

John.
No early openers on Sundays [=P] Some do open early on weekdays as in Dublin,full of opportunity to go adrift(A)

jethro
3rd August 2009, 19:40
Thanks all for the warm welcome,looking forward to some lamp swinging (Hippy)

Billieboy
3rd August 2009, 19:40
I was 3/eng there too, from 64 - 70 on and off, with the Llangorse as well. did you know Ron Williams?

jethro
3rd August 2009, 19:43
I was 3/eng there too, from 64 - 70 on and off, with the Llangorse as well. did you know Ron Williams?

Sure did ,is that you Ron?

Billieboy
3rd August 2009, 19:48
No, I was the guy that brought Ron on board to fix the port boiler desuperheater in the bottom drum. My name is Bill Woodham(Willie), also from Barry but now living in Holland. Ron and I were in school together, then did our time at Barry and Cardiff, he at the engine sheds and I on the docks.

billyboy
4th August 2009, 11:23
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

sidsal
4th August 2009, 19:53
I went up to New Ross on a small Dutch coaster years ago - interesting journey. My experience of Waterford was in a catamaran in which I stupidly agreed to sail it from St Ives to Glasson Dock. The year was 1976 and it was the hottest ever. We left St Ives in light winds and when we were off the Smalls it began to blow a gale from the NE. In 2 days we went backwards and we were nearly exhausted. At dawn one day I was woken and saw a lightship to port and knew it was Tuskar Rock. We turned and went with the wind and eventually shot upstream past Dunmore. On turning the corner towards Waterford we went ashore after the other 2 who were with me got up to their waists in mud and had to be rescued with planks by chaps from a pub. We left the boat there and got a taxi to Waterford and a train to Dublin and then stayed the night before flying home to Manchester. We stayed in a Dublin hotel and heard all sorts of sirens during the night. On looking out of the window in the morning the street was full of fire engines and burnt out hotels. It was, if I remember rightly Easter Sunday or Monday when the IRA demolished 9 hotels.
I declined the offer to return to complete the trip to Glasson !!!

jethro
4th August 2009, 22:14
. It was, if I remember rightly Easter Sunday or Monday when the IRA demolished 9 hotels.

Thank God i was in Brum at that time or was it the Royal Borough ?
Barstewards almost got me in Coventry one night on me way to the movies with a young lady.Tried to blow up the telephone exchange

benjidog
4th August 2009, 23:24
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.