Fishing Tragedies in Lowestoft

MaggieB
6th August 2009, 16:12
Hi
Dare say this topic has been covered regarding tragedies at sea, but I have been led to believe by family members that some ancestors of mine had died following a fishing disaster in Loewstoft. Apparently a great many lives had been lost in the storm. This took place sometime in the 1800's, from what I can gather more likely in the latter part of the century.
A great aunt of mine had told me of her visit to Lowestoft to see the monument that had been erected from the wrecked ships, and that she had seen the names of the two brothers (Williams) that had died. She was quite adamant that it had been Lowestoft.
For quite a few years I have tried to get details of this but to no avail. Does this strike a chord with any one?

K urgess
6th August 2009, 18:37
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire.
There's bound to be someone in the crew that can give you some answers.
Meanwhile find your way around and enjoy the voyage.

fred henderson
7th August 2009, 12:03
A warm welcome Maggie. There is some information in:

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=6319&page=3

If you send a Private Message to some of the Members who posted to that thread you may get some more details.

Fred (Thumb)

E.Martin
7th August 2009, 12:42
Hi
Dare say this topic has been covered regarding tragedies at sea, but I have been led to believe by family members that some ancestors of mine had died following a fishing disaster in Loewstoft. Apparently a great many lives had been lost in the storm. This took place sometime in the 1800's, from what I can gather more likely in the latter part of the century.
A great aunt of mine had told me of her visit to Lowestoft to see the monument that had been erected from the wrecked ships, and that she had seen the names of the two brothers (Williams) that had died. She was quite adamant that it had been Lowestoft.
For quite a few years I have tried to get details of this but to no avail. Does this strike a chord with any one?

Have known many trawlers lost from Lowestoft but the only Monument i know of to lives lost is the one erected at Bell Vue Park Lowestoft and all the names are from the Royal Naval Patrol Service which were lost in WW2.
Williams C.E
Williams H
Williams I
Williams C
2,385 who lost their lives whose names are on the Monument.
Williams C.P

billyboy
7th August 2009, 21:33
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer