A sea-sick 'first-tripper'

Abbeywood.
7th August 2009, 05:52
Just joined the forum.
'First tripper' in 'Hornby Grange', London - Monte' & B.A. September 1959.
Sick as the proverbial, but survived to to four more trips before transfering to the 'Thorpe Grange' for UK coasting.
Joined 'Rippingham Grange', Sept'1960, and saw out her remaining days until became 'Abbeywood' for her delivery to the breakers.
Under took the delivery voyage, (7 months) and rejoined Houlder's.
Coasted on the 'Duquesa' before joining 'Swan River'. (Sept' 62), left the ship April 1963.
Joined Lord Inverforth's famous Bank Line, (June '63). Three and half tyears, (and 3 trips), later, joined Biibby's own fleet and seconded for 5 years with Dart Container Line, (N Atlantic, great fun in winter).
Went on the UK coast in 1982 sand dredging with ARC, later named as Hanson, (now Heidlburg, I think. !)
'Swallowed the hook' in 2003. Forty odd years, man, and beast. Not bad for a sea-sick 'First-tripper'

R58484956
7th August 2009, 09:31
Greetings Abbeywood and welcome to SN on your first interesting posting. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

K urgess
7th August 2009, 11:03
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire.
With a history like that you're bound to find someone who sailed on the same ships or even who you sailed with among our crew.
Have a good trip.

Neil Mant
7th August 2009, 12:07
My first trip I joined the Port Chalmers in Hull to Roterdam then Tilbury then did several red sea ports left after 3.5 months all ok, joined the Kingsnorth Fisher went from Hull to Manchester/salford i was as sick as a dog had to pay off after 9 days, couldnt stop being sick. the good old days.
Neil

benjidog
7th August 2009, 21:11
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

Ian6
7th August 2009, 21:24
Welcome.
Different companies, different ships but I was sea sick for all too long until I found P&O and gin !
What a great site this is that brings our various memories together. Thank you for joining.

tsell
8th August 2009, 08:22
Welcome aboard from Australia Abbeywood.
I am sure that you will enjoy this great site as much as I do.
I was seasick for three weeks on my first trip. Not much fun was it?!!

Taffy R556959

ddraigmor
8th August 2009, 10:17
Welcome aboard! I don't think you'll get sick of this site!

Jonty

billyboy
9th August 2009, 02:35
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer