Save Mission to Seafarers South Shields

Tig.er
12th August 2009, 11:24
Hello everyone,

Firstly can I just start by saying what an amazing site you have here, some really interesting topics and a few good laughs.

My main reason for being here however is because I'm after your support. I think most of us have come into contact with the Mission to Seafarers at some point or other and we all know what a brilliant job they do, both for those currently serving at sea and for those who are now retired.

The Mission in South Shields, Tyne & Wear, has just be informed that it will be closing it's doors on 31st of August after serving the area for over 100 years.

Anyone who would like to register their support to try and keep this branch of the Mission open can do so by "signing" an on line petition at www.gopetition.co.uk/online/29970.html

Thank you for your support.

billyboy
12th August 2009, 12:55
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

K urgess
12th August 2009, 13:49
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire.
There's a thread here already about the Mission
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=28420
Have an enjoyable voyage.

jimthehat
12th August 2009, 17:46
Hello everyone,

Firstly can I just start by saying what an amazing site you have here, some really interesting topics and a few good laughs.

My main reason for being here however is because I'm after your support. I think most of us have scome into contact with the Mission to Seafarers at some point or other and we all know what a brilliant job they do, both for those currently serving at sea and for those who are now retired.

The Mission in South Shields, Tyne & Wear, has just be informed that it will be closing it's doors on 31st of August after serving the area for over 100 years.

Anyone who would like to register their support to try and keep this branch of the Mission open can do so by "signing" an on line petition at www.gopetition.co.uk/online/29970.html

Thank you for your support.
HI have you got that website right??,when I try to log on ,all i get is unavailable.
regards

jim

K urgess
12th August 2009, 17:48
Works OK for me, Jim.
Cheers
Kris

R58484956
12th August 2009, 19:03
Greetings Tig.er and welcome to SN, although your first post is rather sad news. Bon voyage.

Albert Bishop
12th August 2009, 19:21
Hi Tig.er Hope you have better luck than us in North Shields. Ours has recently been turned into an Italian resturant. Cheers, Albi

chubbydavies
12th August 2009, 19:58
the one in avonmouth was pulled down just a thing from the past like the british fleet wot a waste of good sesmanship.

Bearwood
12th August 2009, 20:25
Oh dear, what will happen to the memorial plaques in the Chapel, I wonder.
I shall certainly sign the petition.

David Williams
12th August 2009, 22:20
Hi Tiger.
This isnt our Jean by any chance????

Dave Williams(R583900)

johnb42
12th August 2009, 22:43
HI have you got that website right??,when I try to log on ,all i get is unavailable.
regards

jim

Jim,
Have you managed to get in and sign yet? The link worked fine for me and signing takes only a couple of minutes.
John

Jeffers
12th August 2009, 22:54
I've signed. South Shields is my home town.

benjidog
12th August 2009, 22:54
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

jimthehat
12th August 2009, 22:58
Hi all,
got in ,just typed in up to the .co.uk bit and bingo,all signed up,have sent the address to a couple of friends who popped in there on a regular basis.
JIM

MikeK
13th August 2009, 07:35
Hi Ti
South Shields also my home town and my family were involved in the Shields Flying Angel in the past. It would be a sad loss to the town. Signed up and will post the link on another forum I subscribe to

Mike

Tig.er
13th August 2009, 12:06
Thank you all so much for the warm welcome to SN and for your support in trying to save The Mission.

It seems that the senior officials/directors who plan to close the Mission to Seafarers are travelling up from London for crunch talks with committee members and staff on Tuesday - fingers crossed that they will change their minds about closing it down when they see the amount of support South Shields Mission has got.

So, please keep signing that petition!

Thanks again

Tig.er
14th August 2009, 09:37
Hi Tiger.
This isnt our Jean by any chance????

Dave Williams(R583900)

No, sorry to disappoint you!

Ray Mac
14th August 2009, 12:43
Closing at the end of August, Sharing a porto cabin inside tyne dock with Stella Maris. Only leaving Diane the manager to do all the work.

Tig.er
17th August 2009, 08:29
Just wanted to say "Thank You" to everyone who has 'signed' the online petition.

It's the big meeting tomorrow (Tuesday), so today is really our last day for collecting signatures before the petitions are handed over to the London Directors in an attempt to change their minds about closing down the Mission.

If you haven't already signed then please just click on the link above and it should open another window where you can register your support - no need to copy and paste etc.

Once again Thank You for your support - I'll keep you posted as to the outcome.

gdynia
19th August 2009, 05:34
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Tig.er
20th August 2009, 19:22
It is with great sadness I have to report that, despite all the support given to the South Shields Mission, the staff there will be closing the doors for the very last time on Friday 28th August 2009, after serving both active and retired seafarers for the past 150 years.

The historic building with its shop, library, internet facilities, telephones, bar area and magnificent chapel are being traded in for a single desk in the corner of a shared porta-cabin within Tyne Dock...... apparently this is the best way to serve the seafaring community!

It seems that the Mission to Seafarers is only there to serve "active" seafarers, so what now becomes of those who spent their working lives at sea and now find themselves ashore and alone? Those who have no family, no loved ones, no one to care about them except for the staff and fellow ex-seafarers at the Mission...... who is there to support these people now?

Over 7,000 people signed petitions in support of keeping the South Shields branch of the Mission open, so Thank You to everyone who was a part of this.

I don't suppose anyone out there has any great ideas as to how we can possibly change the minds of the people responsible for the closure of this Mission?????????

Tig.

buddy123
20th August 2009, 20:34
It is with great sadness I have to report that, despite all the support given to the South Shields Mission, the staff there will be closing the doors for the very last time on Friday 28th August 2009, after serving both active and retired seafarers for the past 150 years.

The historic building with its shop, library, internet facilities, telephones, bar area and magnificent chapel are being traded in for a single desk in the corner of a shared porta-cabin within Tyne Dock...... apparently this is the best way to serve the seafaring community!

It seems that the Mission to Seafarers is only there to serve "active" seafarers, so what now becomes of those who spent their working lives at sea and now find themselves ashore and alone? Those who have no family, no loved ones, no one to care about them except for the staff and fellow ex-seafarers at the Mission...... who is there to support these people now?

Over 7,000 people signed petitions in support of keeping the South Shields branch of the Mission open, so Thank You to everyone who was a part of this.

I don't suppose anyone out there has any great ideas as to how we can possibly change the minds of the people responsible for the closure of this Mission?????????

Tig.
Have the people responsible for the closure of the mission been to see it and witnessed what a geat loss it would be to close it i.e.met the seafarers and people who run the place..It is part of the heritage/history which needs preserving and not destroying. Why are they closing it?-is it to build new houses or is it simply a type of cost cutting exercise either of which inevitably costs more in the long term by way of alternatives and have an effect on the environment-socially, financially and practicality!! If funds are a problem, have the shipping companies been approached for donations etc -based on 'Sustainable Development Of Seafarers Sustainability!!'. Have you approached the National Lottery or Local MP/Parliament for support. As a mission/hostel maybe public funding could be an option. Plead for extra time and put the 'closure' on hold until ALL avenues have been explored including T.V. AND Radio awareness and internet sites-I hope this helps!

Tig.er
23rd August 2009, 19:42
Here is the letter received from the Mission to Seafarers in answer to the question why are they closing the South Shields mission in favour of a portacabin in Tyne Dock.

Thank you for your letter of concern about the future of The Mission to Seafarers' centre in South Shields.

The decision to close the centre is one of the toughest that the Mission has had to make for many years and it has been taken with considerable regret. The Mission and the local community have worked closely together for many years to give the best possible support we can to visiting seafarers.

Unfortunately the Mission, in common with many charities, is having to take some very difficult decisions during the current economic climate. According to our charitable objects, our first responsibility is to provide services to working seafarers, fewer and fewer of whom are able to find time to leave their ships and come to the centre. By moving to a mobile ministry - i.e. taking services to the seafarers on the ships, therefore, we will be able to meet and help more of them.

I fully appreciate the strength of feeling towards retaining the centre in a community which has such a proud maritime tradition such as South Shields. As a worldwide organization with only limited resources at our disposal, though, we are having to ensure that we trim our costs and target our expenditure as carefully as possible.

Therefore, whilst we are wholly supportive of the campaign to retain the building as local community resource within South Shields, our charitable aim to serve active seafarers with limited resources, means that we will need to focus all our financial efforts on the new ecumenical ship visiting ministry in the port.

However, I realize that the news of the intended closure must have been very disappointing for you, so please be assured that we will do what we can to work with members of the South Shields community who wish to find a way to retain the building as a community centre.

with all good wishes

The Revd Tom Heffer
Secretary General

Tig.er
23rd August 2009, 20:01
Have the people responsible for the closure of the mission been to see it and witnessed what a geat loss it would be to close it i.e.met the seafarers and people who run the place..It is part of the heritage/history which needs preserving and not destroying. Why are they closing it?-is it to build new houses or is it simply a type of cost cutting exercise either of which inevitably costs more in the long term by way of alternatives and have an effect on the environment-socially, financially and practicality!! If funds are a problem, have the shipping companies been approached for donations etc -based on 'Sustainable Development Of Seafarers Sustainability!!'. Have you approached the National Lottery or Local MP/Parliament for support. As a mission/hostel maybe public funding could be an option. Plead for extra time and put the 'closure' on hold until ALL avenues have been explored including T.V. AND Radio awareness and internet sites-I hope this helps!

The Mission itself doesn't actually own the building, they pay a 'peppercorn' rent on it and as far as I know have about 6 years remaining on the current lease and have just had the offer of having the lease renewed, so it's nothing to do with the actual property.

I also believe that the Mission in Shields more than pays for itself with all the donations it receives from collection boxes and legacies etc.

The campaign to 'Save our Mission' has been fairly well publicised both in the local papers and nationally, on the BBC News and also a spot on GMTV. The petitions have been supported by various MP's ..... although with the Mission being a charity headed by the Anglican church, there isn't much anyone can do about their decision.

It is very sad, but I'm starting to realise that they are a law unto themselves and there is very little, if indeed anything, which can be done to change their minds.

Tig.

buddy123
24th August 2009, 20:26
The Mission itself doesn't actually own the building, they pay a 'peppercorn' rent on it and as far as I know have about 6 years remaining on the current lease and have just had the offer of having the lease renewed, so it's nothing to do with the actual property.

I also believe that the Mission in Shields more than pays for itself with all the donations it receives from collection boxes and legacies etc.

The campaign to 'Save our Mission' has been fairly well publicised both in the local papers and nationally, on the BBC News and also a spot on GMTV. The petitions have been supported by various MP's ..... although with the Mission being a charity headed by the Anglican church, there isn't much anyone can do about their decision.

It is very sad, but I'm starting to realise that they are a law unto themselves and there is very little, if indeed anything, which can be done to change their minds.

Tig.

What a great loss. I am suprised that if the mission is headed by the Anglican church that no funds are available for the 'peppercorn' rent. The campaign publicity doesn't seem to have reached Cornwall as the thread/petition is the first I have heard of this campaign. Perhaps those in charge of this charity headed by the Anglican church need reminding that their boss was frequently sea going and a 'fisher of men'!!
With best wishes,
Marise.

Tig.er
26th August 2009, 19:01
Thank you kindly for your words of support Marise, but with only two days left before the Mission in South Shields closes its doors for good - only a miracle is going to save it now!

All the best
Tig.