hello to one and all

k smith
13th August 2009, 12:14
hi everyone i am new to interests in ships having found a wreck on the banks of the river severn named ARRETON an ex royal navy ship i would like to find out about her history.

speak soon Ken

non descript
13th August 2009, 12:15
Ken, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and thank you for your first posting. Do enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage. (Thumb)

billyboy
13th August 2009, 12:22
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

doric
13th August 2009, 13:08
As a young man in Swansea Wales I travelled over and under the River Severn, but cannot help you wth regards to the wreck, but I am sure someone on this site will do so in the near future.

Welcome from Melbourne Australia, bon voyage, they are a great crew.

Regards, Terence Williams.(A)

K urgess
13th August 2009, 13:12
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Ken.
I'm sure someone in the crew will be able to help with details of the wreck.
Find your way around our ship and have a good voyage.

R58484956
13th August 2009, 14:36
Greetings Ken and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Steve Woodward
13th August 2009, 15:32
Ken,
Welcome to SN from East Yorkshire, enjoy your time with us
Arreton - I have nothing at all on the name as a commissioned warship, this does not mean that she isnt a warship - she could well be a ship requisitioned for the RN.
There is a possibility it could be an old X-lighter, I believe there is a wreck of one on the Severn somewhere, they were steel built in WW1 and were the fore-runners of the moddern landing craft. Post WW2 many saw service in all sorts or trades from salvage vessels to coastal tankers and today a few exist as house boats.
What is the wreck made of ? wood, steel or Iron ? and do you have any idea of how old she is ?
Steve

benjidog
13th August 2009, 22:53
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.