Northumbrian Prince

gaugemaker
13th August 2009, 23:48
Hi, Im interested in the northumbrian prince. I came back on her from famagusta cyprus on october 1957.I was at that time in the raf and would love to chat with anyone who had connections with the ship.
cheers
Larry
(gaugemaker)

K urgess
14th August 2009, 11:13
Welcome aboard, Larry.
I've moved your post into it's own thread for a better response.
Find your way around our ship and have a good voyage.

exsailor
14th August 2009, 12:03
Hello Larry and welcome to Ships Nostalgia.

Full details, history and picture of 'Northumbrian Prince' at www.red-duster.co.uk/PRINCE15.htm

Regards,
Dennis.

fred henderson
14th August 2009, 12:45
A warm welcome Larry. I wish you luck in your search.

Fred (Thumb)

gaugemaker
14th August 2009, 14:00
Hi everyone,does anyone know where I can get the sailing dates of shipping in and out of liverpool in the 1950s.
thank you larry.

gaugemaker
14th August 2009, 14:14
thank you dennis for that information,very much appreciated
larry from cheltenham

R58484956
14th August 2009, 15:01
Greetings Larry and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

billyboy
15th August 2009, 05:13
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

Keltic Star
15th August 2009, 05:50
Hi Larry:
Welcome aboard SN. I sailed as Nav Cadet on the"Northumbrian Prince" 1960 - 1961. She was more of a yacht than a ship, guess we took good care of her. The Medi turnaround port was Famagusta which in those days was the life and soul of Cyprus. We were there one trip while they were filming Exodus. Set up the cameras on our foc'sl head and we all got parts as extras ( including the Old Man). Two favourite drinking spots were Paula's Bar and Peggy's Bar. Peggy was an English lady, Paula was far from it! Best drinks were Keo brandy sours and Comanderia St. John, just don't try to get off your bar stool after a few of either.
Enjoy the site, it's addictive.
Regards
Bob

gdynia
16th August 2009, 00:40
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the Voyage

benjidog
16th August 2009, 17:10
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

gaugemaker
17th August 2009, 19:55
Hi Larry:
Welcome aboard SN. I sailed as Nav Cadet on the"Northumbrian Prince" 1960 - 1961. She was more of a yacht than a ship, guess we took good care of her. The Medi turnaround port was Famagusta which in those days was the life and soul of Cyprus. We were there one trip while they were filming Exodus. Set up the cameras on our foc'sl head and we all got parts as extras ( including the Old Man). Two favourite drinking spots were Paula's Bar and Peggy's Bar. Peggy was an English lady, Paula was far from it! Best drinks were Keo brandy sours and Comanderia St. John, just don't try to get off your bar stool after a few of either.
Enjoy the site, it's addictive.
Regards
Bob

Hi Bob, thanks for your reply,as I said I returned to the UK on the Norhumbrian Prince after 2 years in cyprus, spent 9 m0nths in akrotiri and the rest in Nicosia.virtualy lived on brandy sours and st john camaderia was in reserve if we were a bit short on money. I remember sailing back from cyprus we called in to tripoli /Libya and valleta ,good crossing except the bay of biscay where it was blowing a force ten but the captain reassured us that she had her maiden voyage in a gale and was well up for it.I found her a very happy ship and I have very fond memories of my time on her.
All the best
Larry