Hello Newbie interested Union Castle

A.Seymour RMS WC 14-6-72
16th August 2009, 16:19
I left Rhodesia (in the good old days) spending 6months in SA (Jo'berg) before getting the blue train to Cape town and joining the Windsor Castle departing 14th June 72 to Southampton. The cost at the time was the same as an air flight but hey what memories(==D), little did I know that the Union Castle Mail ships would only last another 5years :mad:
The family connection with Union Castle goes back to about 1924-5 when my Grandparents with my dad (in arms) and uncle first went out to Rhodesia from Tilbury docks down the east coast of Africa.
My dad fought in WW11 in the Rhodesian air force met my mom and returned again via Tilbury-Suez- East coast of Africa to Rhodesia after the war. My mom followed some months later.
I have just visited my son in Southampton it is sad that the only remains of the Union Castle Line is the Southampton Offices “Union Castle House” (now apartments) in Canute Road. The modern ships of today are just skyscrapers of the seas with no character(Sad)
My questions is does anyone have or know of any passenger records around 1924-5 and 1945-6 of the Union Castle.

K urgess
16th August 2009, 16:44
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire.
There are quite a few crew members who have made the same voyage both as passengers and professionally.
Find your way around the ship and you may meet some.
Have an enjoyable voyage.

benjidog
16th August 2009, 17:49
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you enjoy the site.

gdynia
16th August 2009, 20:51
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Chris Isaac
17th August 2009, 07:34
Try here http://union-castle.net/

Some passenger lists are being entered as they come to light.

I too lived in Rhodesia for a while.... so let's start a group for "Whenwe's"

billyboy
17th August 2009, 10:26
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has too offer

R58484956
17th August 2009, 13:09
Greetings AS and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.