My Time away at sea with BP tankers

derekjohnsmith
19th August 2009, 22:09
Hi to all,
My name is Derek Smith i am a old BP Tanker Man,i sailed on 10 ships from 1969 to 1975.(anybody remember me ??) Discharge Book No R870054
I went to Gravesend Sea School in 1968 i think it was from September to November?? i cant remember the class No, i was in catering,had a good time as a peanut and ended up being a leading hand.
First shipped out from IOG in Jan1969 on the Gannet, as a Galley Boy/Pantry Boy away for over 6 months,other ships were Valour,Comet,Hussar,Commodore,Argosy,Pioneer,Dart, Kestrel,and Merlin.
Came out as Chief Cook and got Married.
Enough for now,i will come back with more details and stories later.
Cheers for now.

K urgess
19th August 2009, 22:18
A belated welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Derek.
I'm sure you will have found some of the BP lads in the crew by now. Plenty of them about.
Have a good trip

billyboy
19th August 2009, 22:39
Welcome aboard from the philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

barrow-boy
20th August 2009, 02:09
Hi Derek,

Welcome from California,

We was at Gravesend Sea School at the same time I left 15th November 1968 and shipped out on the Br Commodore followed by the Br. Argosy 4 months later. I was on deck.
Nick.

R58484956
20th August 2009, 14:59
Greetings Derek and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

benjidog
20th August 2009, 21:50
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

longneck
12th February 2016, 17:29
Hi Derek,
I had the pleasure of sailing on 3 B.P. ships. they were the Grenadier Feb 73 to Aug 73. Kestrel sept 73 to nov 73, Hawthorn dec 73 to Feb 74, dates are approx. as its 40 years plus ago. I was at Gravesend july 72 to Nov 72 ( 2 weeks off for summer hols )

ninabaker
12th February 2016, 18:32
Welcome, Derek,
This is a great forum. Check out the BP Shipping part as it is very active. Loads of us old BP types chatting about this and that.
I dont think we sailed together, I was a deck cadet and then 3/O 1972-77, but Graham Wallace is the Keeper of the Lists and knows who was where when!

all the best
nina

Graham Wallace
12th February 2016, 19:37
Nina thanks for the intro, I have been off line for a few days.

Hi Derek, welcome to SN.
I have a crew list for Gannet 19th Aug 1969(Curacao to Rejkavick), you are not listed, possibly left by then? However Cat/Officer was GB Syme, Chief Cook PJ Siggins and 2/C/B ITH Miller, ring any bells?

I will send you a Shipsnostalgia Private Message

Graham

longneck
12th February 2016, 21:36
Nina thanks for the intro, I have been off line for a few days.

Hi Derek, welcome to SN.
I have a crew list for Gannet 19th Aug 1969(Curacao to Rejkavick), you are not listed, possibly left by then? However Cat/Officer was GB Syme, Chief Cook PJ Siggins and 2/C/B ITH Miller, ring any bells?

I will send you a Shipsnostalgia Private Message

Graham

Hi Graham, i was on the British Grenadier from Feb 73 to Aug 73, have you got any crew lists from that time please, i've been trying for some while now to trace some old friends but without any joy.
warm regards
Ian Jenkins

Graham Wallace
12th February 2016, 23:26
Hi Longneck,

I have lists for Grenadier Jan 1973 to Aug 1973 and all in between,+ remainder 1973. Master toJOER & ERB, no I Jenkins listed, what rank/rating were you? Name some personnel so I can check we are talking about same ship. However no GP's1-3 listed, a little odd as for example Fidelity at the same time lists 10 GP1's,one GP2 and two GP3's.

Your limited 'profile' does not help.

Graham

longneck
13th February 2016, 08:22
Hi Longneck,

I have lists for Grenadier Jan 1973 to Aug 1973 and all in between,+ remainder 1973. Master toJOER & ERB, no I Jenkins listed, what rank/rating were you? Name some personnel so I can check we are talking about same ship. However no GP's1-3 listed, a little odd as for example Fidelity at the same time lists 10 GP1's,one GP2 and two GP3's.

Your limited 'profile' does not help.

Graham

Hi Graham ,
I was a deck boy, there were two of us the other lad was Carl Warner,the lists I can remember having back then in 1973 did not include Gp1etc that though did come in very shortly after . We paid off ( agreement closed ) in dry dock at Scaramanga early August 73,another thought was that when preparing the ship for dry dock I remember 2/3 girl deck cadets joined and we were told that they were the first female deck cadets in the fleet ? I am struggling with senior crew names I.e. Master,1/st mate , I can see their faces and their wives lol, I can even see the 4 th engineers face and his wife's , the bosun was called Ian hutch---- ? Was the 1st mates surname Rutherford ? ( it just came to me ) if you could supply some names or a copy of the crew list then that would me much appreciated. Warm regards Ian J,the pumpmans first name was Frank he was from Liverpool , second steward was called Roy Kersey, assistant Steward was a Bob Jenkins,

Graham Wallace
14th February 2016, 18:11
Hi Longneck,

The Grenadier it was , there were some personnel changes Jan to Aug 1973. Master was JR Scott, CO's Faulkner and Rudd, 2M's Peter Williams ( I know him) and Palmer, 3M's Stewart and Lyon. Cat Officer's Pickering and Heaviside. Ass Stew MJ Harford No PO's or GP1' listed. I know a few of her Engineers.

There were 2 female Deck Cadets joining at drydock Stroud and Rutherford both 1973 intake. Stroud married one of the earlier Deck Cadets

Email me and I'll send you more info

Graham